If it fits in my daily calories...

Options

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this bothers me

I think this is the most important part of what you said. You really need to figure out why this bothers you, because it shouldn't.

Nicely said!

I'm bothered by people who have a lot of concern about what other people eat. They say it's because they "care" but it doesn't feel like "caring."
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I think it sets a bad example for those starting out. It is one thing to make that decision once you've gotten a hold of what you are doing with your weight loss. But for those who haven't found that happy medium, it gives them the wrong impression. Do what you need to do but I don't think it needs to be bragged about.

I think it's incredibly freeing to know that you can still eat foods you crave and lose the weight you want. So many of my coworkers and friends think you have to eat cabbage soup for a week and stress your heart out on diet pills to lose weight. What if I opened my mouth and told them that I can eat anything I want.... not exercise, even.... and still lose weight?

I could, but they wouldn't believe me, so I have to wait until they ask me. :)
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    just a side note, MFP markets itself as a free calorie counter diet and exercise journal. so thats what the majority of people use this site for. so the majority of people will count calories and use the calories in calories out diet technique. that is what the site is designed for. whether or not you follow that is your choice, but remember what site you are using. if you want to find people with the same diet interests as you, there are tons of groups on here, or im sure the is a new site tailored to your diet. or you can stay here, but dont be shocked when you see people just counting calories, because thats what this site was designed for. its like going into a vegans house and saying "i dont understand why you just dont eat a steak! i mean come one whats wrong with you??? just eat steak!" of course if you do this you will get some serious backlash. i personally agree with your diet philosophy, because i dont think a calorie is a calorie, but i also understand this is a calorie counter website and thats what most people here are doing.
  • roodledoodle
    Options
    It's pretty much a proven fact that a 'diet' is only a short term thing that people can't stick to because it's unrealistic. MFP is aimed at helping people change their life long habits - i.e it's enjoyable enough to do for the rest of our lives. If we all just ate turkey, salad and veg how long do you really think it would last? 2 days maybe. I'm not talking about competing body builders, I'm talking about us everyday average people.

I 100% believe that everything in moderation is the key, you don't feel deprived and doesn't feel like a punishment. If you know that you can still have a choccy biscuit with your tea mid morning and it fits in with all your allowances then why not? Why torture yourself for absolutely no reason? A bit of everything is good for you!
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think it sets a bad example for those starting out. It is one thing to make that decision once you've gotten a hold of what you are doing with your weight loss. But for those who haven't found that happy medium, it gives them the wrong impression. Do what you need to do but I don't think it needs to be bragged about.

Perhaps this is the difference between 'dieting' and 'changing your lifestyle'. Frankly, I'm not giving up chocolate or cheeseburgers or pizza. Will I do things to make them more healthy, of course. Part of the reason I've been so successful (and imo, the 25lbs I've lost since the beginning of February is pretty darn successful) is because I'm not 'dieting'. This is a journey for a lot of us and journeys have slip-ups and they have cheeseburgers and chocolate. For me, it's learning how a healthier lifestyle (by MY standards, not yours) can fit into my life. It's learning the substitutions I can make so that I can still eat the foods that I love. And frankly, I do brag about it! I'm losing weight while still eating the foods I love...how flippin awesome is that!?! For some, that's motivational. And, it's up to them, not you to determine what they eat and what they consider 'appropriate' foods. Don't treat the newbies like idiots who can't figure out how to eat. We were all newbies once and we all figured it out on our own.

Ok, I'm going to step down from my soapbox now. But, I do hope you figure out why you are so bothered by what others eat so that it doesn't affect your own progress. Best of luck to you.
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hey, I don't see how pizza is unhealthy. We make ours homemade with turkey and lots of veggies and low fat mozzarella and either whole grain or wheat crust. It's a weekly weekend meal.

I don't consider pizza unhealthy, but a lot of people seem to think that while bread, tomato sauce, cheese, some vegetables and a meat might be ok, once you put them together and call it a pizza, it's demon-food. :laugh:

But for me, pizza is my cheap and lazy meal, and is typically a frozen rising crust DiGiorno or Frechetta (can't really beat $5 for two people, without a pile of dirty dishes) ... so not really a health-conscious choice. But my typical dinners are around 700-1000 calories anyway, so half a pizza fits in that range perfectly. The sodium is the only "bad" thing about it, and since I have good blood pressure, don't wig out over a pound or two weight fluctuation, drink about 96oz a day and sweat like a fiend when I exercise, sodium doesn't scare me.

If you weren't a woman, married and thousands of miles away, I'd ask you to marry me! Pizza has always been my 'crave' and I'm not giving it up for the world! I just eat like you do, reasonably, in moderation and not every night!

I seem to share the majority view on this... I'd never have been able to last with this change if I'd given up everything I love, and because I've allowed myself treats, the ocasional day off counting, and haven't outlawed any type of food (Whilst keeping in my calories, fat, sat fat, sodium and sugar 85% of the time) I've managed to stick to my new lifestyle with ease.

My opinion - being healthy should be hard or unpleasant.
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    I have a 90/10 rule, for myself and kids. 90% is clean wholesome foods, 10% is for indulgences. With that said that is what I prefer. As for others they have to do what they prefer. I'm willing to bet most people on this site are making way better choices and are healthier for it than before starting their journey. I know even though I'm not perfect (and no one is) but I know I'm extremely healthier than I was 4 years ago.

I agree with this quote 100% - well said!!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this bothers me but it every time I read someone posting something about how that 400 calorie Double Cheeseburger or Bucket of fried food fits into my daily calories, so I'm going to eat it!!. It is one thing if it's a special occasion but if this is a daily or weekly occurrence, you are only lying to yourself and making it that much harder to get to that goal you've been reaching for. Calories aren't the enemy, it is what those calories are made up with that count.

I burn between 500 to 1000 calories a day when I work out and I do that 5 days a week. If on one of those days every few weeks I want a burger and fries because I'm craving it. I'll eat it. If I feel like taking 200 calories one day from the average 750 I burned to eat a piece of milk chocolate I will. I don't do it everyday but I workout, a lot, so I can have those things. I also have a low calorie breakfast and usually fish and a ton of veggies for lunch and snack on fruit throughout the day. So if I feel like eating it I will. If I feel like bragging about it I will because I busted my *kitten* to earn the right to eat it. No one looks at just one meal and says, "Oh wow she had a burger for lunch. She must eat that way all day every day. Let me go on the burger and fries diet she's on." People like you, who worry sooooo much and are sooooo bothered by what I eat are the reason my food diary is closed.
  • Margentine
    Margentine Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    0991_7ead_460.jpeg
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this bothers me but it every time I read someone posting something about how that 400 calorie Double Cheeseburger or Bucket of fried food fits into my daily calories, so I'm going to eat it!!. It is one thing if it's a special occasion but if this is a daily or weekly occurrence, you are only lying to yourself and making it that much harder to get to that goal you've been reaching for. Calories aren't the enemy, it is what those calories are made up with that count.

This is something you should be talking about with your therapist. Obviously its an issue that is controlling you, get help soon.

Best wishes.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    It bothers me when I hear people bit¢h and complain about what OTHER people choose to eat.

I for one, will have a stuffed pizza pretzel whenever I please...and couldn't care less what others think about it.

My food..my body..my WL journey..........notice the usage of the word "MY"
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've seen these threads enough that I've come to the following conclusion.

Clean eating 100% of the time makes you such a miserable human being that the only way to feel joy is to look down at others.

100% agree with you!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Please point me to said 400 calorie double cheeseburger. Thanks

THIS!!! I might actually eat one once a month if that were at all possible.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, there are some people who take the statement "it's not good to eat cheeseburgers every day" to mean "CLEAN EATING ALL DAY EVERY DAY FOREVER"

Well we're just so very scared we'll be accused of cutting corners...

cutting corners is bad. so say we all.

nocuttingcorners.jpg
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    0991_7ead_460.jpeg

I wanna be in you
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    No where did I say I ate "clean" or that I drank diet coke wtf?. Maybe my idea of healthy and getting fit isn't the same as yours. If you're having a "cheat" day more days than you are not, its not a cheat day.. it's part of your diet. For me, a cheat meal is an exception to the rule, not the rule. I have found my balance. My point was a fast food cheeseburger isn't the best option to meet your caloric goals for the day! Now if you're used to eating Four Cheeseburgers and your cutting it down to two, then that is great and it's a step in the right direction.

This is not the sentiment you expressed in the beginning. You're getting defensive because the conversation isn't going the direction you want it to go. In the beginning, you expressed the sentiment that we should NOT adopt the "if it fits in my daily calories..." mentality. I understood you to be saying that we should NOT eat cheeseburgers or cakes or cookies even if we can fit them into our calorie budget.

Now, I actually agree with the comment you made above. Yes, if you're cheating more days than not, you're not going to lose weight because a cheat day is almost always going to bring you above maintenance with your calorie count... but that's not how you started your tread. You weren't talking about balance, you were talking about abstaining from foods you considered 'unhealthy' even if you could eat those foods while practicing calorie restriction.

If you're staying within your calories but still indulging in some of the things you really love - how is it "cheating"? To me, "cheating" gives the impression you are doing something wrong when in reality - eating a cheeseburger from McDonald's or some cookies isn't doing anything "wrong". There is no right nor wrong to losing weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    0991_7ead_460.jpeg

Te expression on his face is the funniest part of this photo.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Please point me to said 400 calorie double cheeseburger. Thanks

McDonalds Mcdouble ($1) no pickle, no bun....less than 400 cal. Even a qtr pounder w/ cheese no bun...they put it on a bed of lettuce. That's my twice a month indulgence!

That is information I didn't need to know, lol. Now it's on my list...maybe. Haven't been to McD's in months.
  • honeydiva
    honeydiva Posts: 14
    Options
    I totally agree...somethimes I crave a big juicy burger but know that I will not get healthy eating that, even if it's in my caloric intake. When you cheat yourself like that, you will never reach your goal. I used to do the same thing with soda, knowing that I had to give them up all together, denial is your own worse enemy...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Today is Cheeseburger Tuesday folks. Chillax: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/549723-cheeseburger-tuesday

Just a friendly reminder. Cheeseburger Tuesday is ON!!