If it fits in my daily calories...

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why is it all or none with some people? "You eat cheeseburgers every day, so you're unhealthy and doing badly." It's like because we eat foods that aren't good for us, there's no hope. We should stop counting calories and just binge all day and gain 80 pounds, I guess.

The main reason I dislike many clean eaters (not clean eating) is because a lot of them get pretty snobby. Your way isn't the best, or most realistic way for a lot of us.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I got the mental image of the toe nails EEEEKKKK :tongue:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Fat_man_burger-300x265.jpg

I'll take two
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Please point me to said 400 calorie double cheeseburger. Thanks

**waits**

qubmx6vrlo.jpg

McDonalds Double Cheeseburger=440 calories (maybe not the best example of a double cheeseburger but there it is)!!!
    mcdonalds-Double-Cheeseburger.png
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    They can eat what they want, I'm sure they exercise or something to fit it into their calorie range. As long as they hit their macros and don't go overboard with the saturated fat or sugar then there shouldn't be any "health issues" either.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think it sets a bad example for those starting out. It is one thing to make that decision once you've gotten a hold of what you are doing with your weight loss. But for those who haven't found that happy medium, it gives them the wrong impression. Do what you need to do but I don't think it needs to be bragged about.

You know that works both ways right? You're "bragging" about doing it the 'right' way = your way. There is no difference.

I don't see people 'bragging', but sharing their experiences and saying there are all types of ways to lose weight and find one that will work for you long term.

The post I see aren't saying "I'm your example to follow!" they've saying "if it works for you, be happy and do it". How is that a bad example?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this bothers me but it every time I read someone posting something about how that 400 calorie Double Cheeseburger or Bucket of fried food fits into my daily calories, so I'm going to eat it!!. It is one thing if it's a special occasion but if this is a daily or weekly occurrence, you are only lying to yourself and making it that much harder to get to that goal you've been reaching for. Calories aren't the enemy, it is what those calories are made up with that count.

I used to agree with this without question. But, now that I have 3000 calories to eat every day I cannot possibly fill them with vegetables and whole grains only. That's just too much volume and I don't have the time to eat that much during the day. So, most days I eat some Oreos with a glass of milk after my kids go to bed. I'm breastfeeding, so I also need a lot of extra sugar. Even with that indulgence and lots of baked pasta I still have a hard time meeting my calorie goal.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Why is it all or none with some people? "You eat cheeseburgers every day, so you're unhealthy and doing badly." It's like because we eat foods that aren't good for us, there's no hope. We should stop counting calories and just binge all day and gain 80 pounds, I guess.

The main reason I dislike many clean eaters (not clean eating) is because a lot of them get pretty snobby. Your way isn't the best, or most realistic way for a lot of us.

On the other hand, there are some people who take the statement "it's not good to eat cheeseburgers every day" to mean "CLEAN EATING ALL DAY EVERY DAY FOREVER"
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I hate when i read that because it's not as simple as calories in vs calories out - although that's what I see a lot on here. You have to feed your body properly. And eating crap on a daily basis is NOT feeding your body properly. :)

I don't eat fast food (it upsets my tummy really bad), but I do eat cookies, cake, etc on a daily basis. I've had all kinds of blood work done along with other tests - everything is "excellent" or "text book perfect". From my cholesterol to my EKG to blood pressure - PERFECT. I don't eat perfectly and considering I've lost weight AND I am healthy (with the test results to back it up), this is what I will continue to do. It is sustainable to me for the rest of my life. Considering my doctors are thrilled that I have held off some of the nasty heart issues that plague my family in their early to mid 30's by losing weight, doing cardio and eating better? I couldn't care less what someone else thinks of me.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give up everything to lose weight, or adopt a completely "healthy foods only" diet, so I don't see what the problem is honestly. I also don't think it is as "unhealthy" as you are claiming it do be. If these hypothetical people are eating nothing but a cheeseburger and fries for every single meal then maybe can we begin to claim they are lacking nutrients and hurting their health in some way, but I doubt this is the case with anyone on here. But fitting a cheeseburger or fries into an already well planned balanced day? I say that sounds normal and frankly, healthy!

Touche! and fully agree. Several years ago I had counted calories and included things like a sundae for a dessert in the evening, a beer, wings, etc - if it fit into my daily calorie count. In that time (I had less to lose then), I was successful in taking off about 12 pounds in about 2 months to reach my goal. I kept that weight off for about 5 years - eating as I chose and exercising daily. Once I retired from the Air Force and stopped exercising and watching what I ate - I gained to where I was about a month ago. I don't think you can be successful in the long term through deprivation. If you like something - burgers, beer, wine, etc - EAT IT!! It doesn't mean you should do so daily - but there is nothing wrong with what someone else referred to a "Burger and Fries Friday!"
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't have an issue with it, but I do take issue with people who do that and then complain because they are not losing. If you can eat it and lose, great! But if you aren't losing and wonder why, that is an excellent place to start.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this bothers me but it every time I read someone posting something about how that 400 calorie Double Cheeseburger or Bucket of fried food fits into my daily calories, so I'm going to eat it!!. It is one thing if it's a special occasion but if this is a daily or weekly occurrence, you are only lying to yourself and making it that much harder to get to that goal you've been reaching for. Calories aren't the enemy, it is what those calories are made up with that count.

You're right. How dare people eat the food they enjoy, in proper proportions! And in no way can people losing massive amounts of weight become any healthier! Simply not being obese any more is not healthy! Who are they kidding?!

Oh, wait. That was supposed to be written in the sarcasm font. My bad.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Not all cheeseburgers are that unhealthy. You can make them at home and they're just fine.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    If you don't want comments from people on what you eat, then why are you posting it on a public website?

personally, I don't get bothered. My friends actually applaud that I'm a real person and eat real (fake, processed, bad, whatever) food every now and again. Generally, I eat clean and train dirty, but eh, every once in a while I prefer a coke or beer over water or a burger rather than baked chicken or tilapia. Meh, I'm not worried, so I don't see why anyone else should be worried about me, either.
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think it sets a bad example for those starting out. It is one thing to make that decision once you've gotten a hold of what you are doing with your weight loss. But for those who haven't found that happy medium, it gives them the wrong impression. Do what you need to do but I don't think it needs to be bragged about.

That's all well and good if someone starts dieting with the idea of being a role model for others. Most people I know are doing it for themselves and need to do what works best for them. I, personally, consider what I'm doing not a diet but a lifestyle change. I'm not going to give up cheese and chocolate cake for the rest of my life, so as long as it fits in my calories and I REALLY want it, I'm going to eat it! I just make sure it fits in my calories for the day or I burn it off in my workout later. And if I go over on my calories periodically, it isn't the end of the world as long as I get back on the right track the next day.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    No where did I say I ate "clean" or that I drank diet coke wtf?. Maybe my idea of healthy and getting fit isn't the same as yours. If you're having a "cheat" day more days than you are not, its not a cheat day.. it's part of your diet. For me, a cheat meal is an exception to the rule, not the rule. I have found my balance. My point was a fast food cheeseburger isn't the best option to meet your caloric goals for the day! Now if you're used to eating Four Cheeseburgers and your cutting it down to two, then that is great and it's a step in the right direction.

This is not the sentiment you expressed in the beginning. You're getting defensive because the conversation isn't going the direction you want it to go. In the beginning, you expressed the sentiment that we should NOT adopt the "if it fits in my daily calories..." mentality. I understood you to be saying that we should NOT eat cheeseburgers or cakes or cookies even if we can fit them into our calorie budget.

Now, I actually agree with the comment you made above. Yes, if you're cheating more days than not, you're not going to lose weight because a cheat day is almost always going to bring you above maintenance with your calorie count... but that's not how you started your tread. You weren't talking about balance, you were talking about abstaining from foods you considered 'unhealthy' even if you could eat those foods while practicing calorie restriction.
  • mimieob
    mimieob Posts: 54
    Options
    If it fits in my calories for the day then that is really all that matters...we're only here (on Earth) for a short time and I plan on enjoying it as much as I can. And to me enjoying it means cupcakes, ice cream, M&M's, a double cheeseburge if the urge hits. Yes I want to lose weight, I've lost 7pounds in 2 months and plan on losing more...but I'm not going to be one of those hungry miserable people whose lives revolve around not eating certain things...

me either, I pretty much eat what I want, if I have the craving for it, but most of the time I am counting cals and eating ( hopefully) healthier foods...I eat alot more salads than ever, mostly the nights I work, which is 4-5 days a week...the other nights dinners are healthy, chicken or pork with vegs...I mostly eat my "bad" foods for lunch so I can work the cals off at work...

and I have lost 8 lbs in 1 month
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    To each their own... but ya know we can't take away the fact that perhaps it is only once a week now rather than 3-4 times before they started.

Depriving oneself of what we really like and want is only a recipe for failure for some... kudos for those who can do it. We should stop putting down the efforts that some people are making just because they are doing it differently than us...

I used to love, love, love McDs - actually I still do - when I first started, an accomplishment to me was to have a kids meal rather than having the Big Mac I really wanted... that is a major step if you really look at it. Now, I don't even know when was the last time I had McDs but if I feel like having I wouldn't think it twice.

I am starting to see weight loss as religion - everyone has a belief and that is the only truth for them and everyone else should follow... grrrrr
  • Nucky719
    Nucky719 Posts: 143
    Options
    Well it's a good thing you aren't the boss of me :smile:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, there are some people who take the statement "it's not good to eat cheeseburgers every day" to mean "CLEAN EATING ALL DAY EVERY DAY FOREVER"

Well we're just so very scared we'll be accused of cutting corners...