If it fits in my daily calories...

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't the enemy, it is what those calories are made up with that count.

Nope.

I periodically eat processed craptastic food, and I'm down 40 lbs. It's not something I do all day every day, but the option is open when I want to or am stuck in a bind (out at a bad restaurant with friends).

Obviously eating "clean" worked for you based on your statement and your loss, but the truth is that weight loss is a numbers game. Being healthier and fueling yourself properly is a nutrients game.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this bothers me but it every time I read someone posting something about how that 400 calorie Double Cheeseburger or Bucket of fried food fits into my daily calories, so I'm going to eat it!!. It is one thing if it's a special occasion but if this is a daily or weekly occurrence, you are only lying to yourself and making it that much harder to get to that goal you've been reaching for. Calories aren't the enemy, it is what those calories are made up with that count.

yes so lets beat them and hang them by their toenails while forcing them to watch us eat clean all the time 24/7!!

wait that diet coke you drank was "clean?" it was no better then a cheeseburger ??? dang it!! it's calorie free so you should feel much better then the chick who ran 6 miles to eat her cheeseburger right??
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I fill my "extra calories" each night with wine. I'm also losing weight and inches. Once you figure out why what I do with my extra calories bothers you, I'd love to hear your explanation.

Thanks.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I think it sets a bad example for those starting out. It is one thing to make that decision once you've gotten a hold of what you are doing with your weight loss. But for those who haven't found that happy medium, it gives them the wrong impression. Do what you need to do but I don't think it needs to be bragged about.

The flip side of that coin is that not everyone can start out eating whole quality foods if they are used to eating junk food. Sometimes staying under your calories while continuing to eat what you're used to is the starting point, not making huge changes all at once. Too many people fail at weight loss because they think they have to be deprived of things they like and must eat stuff they hate to be "healthy." Weight loss is hard enough. Stop trying to make it harder by imposing rules that aren't necessary.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Get off your high horse and stop judging what everyone else is eating.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    If you reach in front of me and try to take away the cupcake I ate last night, or the wine I have most nights, or the chocolate i refuse to give up, or the ice cream that I like to indulge in, or the chicken strips that I inevitabley have once a week, or my burger and fries Fridays I will rip off your arm and beat you with the bloody stump . . . I protect these things like family.

PS - I have been very successful.

This is easily one of the best things I've read on the boards...ever. "I protect these things like family"...priceless! :drinker:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Please point me to said 400 calorie double cheeseburger. Thanks

**waits**

stands in this queue.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I think it sets a bad example for those starting out. It is one thing to make that decision once you've gotten a hold of what you are doing with your weight loss. But for those who haven't found that happy medium, it gives them the wrong impression. Do what you need to do but I don't think it needs to be bragged about.

maybe if they are your friend and this habit bothers you, then delete them from your list. I'm sorry you have not yet found balance, but many of us have and we have every right to be happy that we were able to work in a "cheat" meal or whatever it may be. This is an internal issue that you have with others and it is your problem, not theirs.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I think the opposite. I believe the biggest reason people quit and get discourage early on is because there is no transition. Most people struggle to give up what they are used to or what they enjoy. Allowing people to have indulgences in moderation, even if it fits in their calories for the day, keeps them going in the long run!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

**waits**

qubmx6vrlo.jpg
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is: Why do you care what someone else eats? I couldn't care less what someone else uses their calories on. I'm focused on what works for me.

I still eat cake, cookies, etc on a daily basis. I do what works for me, you do what works for you. This is supposed to be about finding what works for us, a good balance in our own lives, etc. It really bothers me when other people are so dang worried about what someone else is doing on their journey. I don't know about you, but I flatly refuse to make any food off limits. If I want it and it fits in my calories? I'll eat it. I eat well most of the time and I'm not worried about the things I eat that aren't as good for me - you shouldn't worry either.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options

**waits**

stands in this queue.

Takes place in line behind Maab
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I've had half a pizza at least once a week every week since I started on here. How is doing what I've been doing from the get-go setting a bad example for those starting out?

I tried cutting out foods I enjoy. That didn't work for me. When I started this, I stubbornly refused to give up things I enjoy. THAT worked for me.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I still eat what I love - just the healthy alternatives.... if i want a cheese burger - I use ground turkey... if i want pizza --- ditch the thick crust and go for the thin.

It's hard to eat healthy and to meat goals that I have set.

It doesn't bother me what someone else is eating - UNLESS it comes across as a "Oh I had a double cheese burger, large fry and a large non-diet coke... why can't i lose weight?" Then those people need to hit themselves in the face with a tire iron... but if they are shredded, have lost 30-40 lbs, are close to their goal weight - HAVE AT IT!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

I disagree. How many times have we all tried to lose weight while trying some "diet" that severely restricts what we're supposed to eat?and how many times have we all failed because of the restriction? Life shouldn't be about restriction. Life is to be lived and enjoyed. I think it is a good example and a positive thing when someone who is just starting out can see that they don't have to give up things they REALLY love. As you travel on this journey, you learn what is worth using calories on and what isn't. Your tastes usually change and what was delicious at the beginning sometimes isn't a favorite later on. But, really? There's NO REASON to make anything off limits and letting someone who is just starting see that, I think is a good thing for them.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is: Why do you care what someone else eats? I couldn't care less what someone else uses their calories on. I'm focused on what works for me.

I still eat cake, cookies, etc on a daily basis. I do what works for me, you do what works for you. This is supposed to be about finding what works for us, a good balance in our own lives, etc. It really bothers me when other people are so dang worried about what someone else is doing on their journey. I don't know about you, but I flatly refuse to make any food off limits. If I want it and it fits in my calories? I'll eat it. I eat well most of the time and I'm not worried about the things I eat that aren't as good for me - you shouldn't worry either.

couldn't agree more. The only time I'll cut anything from my list of foods to eat is during my "leaning out" phase, aka hardcore competition training, otherwise, I eat relatively clean 4.5 days a week and do what I want 2.5 days a week, mostly all within my caloric range.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it must be nice to be able to afford to eat clean 100% of the time. That's a luxury I don't have. I make minimum wage. I do the best I can, I have learned many little tips for making my dollar go further in terms of quality food, but sometimes if I have to eat 2 dollar cheese burgers or a lean cuisine to keep the lights on, then so be it. You can't judge if you dont know everyone's situations. My broke *kitten* also pirated every beachbody program that I have, so come throw stones at me for that too lol.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think if it does fit it into your caloric intake, it should be okay. I try not to deprive myself completely of the food I like, because losing weight is all about self control. If I can eat a serving size of chips instead of the whole bag, I'm doing well! I believe counting calories works, and I exercise daily, and figure all of that in. I don't eat mostly junk, and I'm assuming that people who are serious about losing weight are doing what works best for them.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Actually, I fully disagree with this. I think that the fact that I figured out what works for me and how to be successful sets a great example. I figured out that I had to live a lifestyle that I would not have difficulty adhering to for a lifetime. To me, this mean analyzing my diary and being thoughtful about what I eat and how I eat it. I am a binger and have found that if I don't allow myself to have certain things than I will at some point be compelled to eat it in such enormous quantities that it would make jabba the hut blush. Figuring out that I can have a 1/2 cup of my ice cream, once a day if I wish, as long as I've been thoughtful about my day is so much better than denying my craving for 2 weeks and pounding down a carton like it's the last frozen treat on the earth. I’m accountable to myself, not to you, and I’m responsible for myself. My active and thoughtful lifestyle sets a great example for my family, where as another person’s judgment . . . well . . .
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I've had half a pizza at least once a week every week since I started on here. How is doing what I've been doing from the get-go setting a bad example for those starting out?

I tried cutting out foods I enjoy. That didn't work for me. When I started this, I stubbornly refused to give up things I enjoy. THAT worked for me.

Hey, I don't see how pizza is unhealthy. We make ours homemade with turkey and lots of veggies and low fat mozzarella and either whole grain or wheat crust. It's a weekly weekend meal.

I am an ice cream addict and I still have my Skinny Cow on a regular basis....I gave up Blue Bell, I'm not giving up Skinny Cow.

Personally, I could care less what anyone else eats or when they eat. It's not like their weight gain/loss is contagious.