50+ WOMEN for the month of JUNE

Options

Replies

• vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Anne, Great job on the two pounds and on the lunch choices.
    Debbie, I know how you feel. We used to belong to a local gym many many years ago and I scoped it out and only went when I knew it was not busy.
    Now we go to Snap Fitness (24 hr gym) It is about $30 per month. they have lots of discounts for different companies. If you have one near you check it out. There are fat people, skinny people, old people, young people. I feel totally comfortable there. I hope you find a place you feel good about. Thank you so much for the prayers. I really appreciate it. She goes for her blood test tomorrow, so we should know for sure then. I know some of you talked about bike riding. I started riding my bike to my grandchildren's baseball games. It is about 5 miles from my house. Yesterday I rode there and back and burned 900 calories. I was blown away. Today I just rode there and burned 500. My hubby picked me up and we went to gym after game so I could do my weights. Talk to you ladies tomorrow. Watching College World Series. LSU is our team so we are hoping they come back.
    Vicki
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to all the newbies!

Haven't checked in lately - managed to meet all of my deadlines so I could have this week off from work. :happy: :happy: Finished my last report at 1:30 a.m. Monday morning and got up at 4:00 a.m. to drive to Nashville and pick our daughters up at the airport. It was wonderful to see them. We haven't seen them since Dec., and they haven't been home since October. Our son wanted to go with us to the airport, so it was a very good day. It's been a long time since we were all together. Left the airport and had breakfast at Cracker Barrell. I will have to say I didn't eat low calories, but reduced how much I ate so I managed to keep my calories for the day in line.

The twins noticed my weight loss and told me I was looking good it never hurts to hear that:bigsmile: They have both lost weight as well. We are having a wonderful visit - receiving very few work requests which is great. Haven't turned my blackberry off, but everyone is being considerate after my last experience at trying to have a few days off.

Tomorrow my mother is coming up to spend the afternoon & see the girls. The last time they were home she was on an out of state trip and didn't get to see them. We are going to have a mini family reunion and grill out and make home made ice cream, I will definitely have to practice my self-control:bigsmile:

Will check in later.

Nancy:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I have to echo what has been said about the caring and compassion of the women on this thread. You are all like the sisters I always wanted:heart:

:flowerforyou: Vicki--I will have your daughter in my heart tomorrow. I wish her the strength to walk through whatever is the next chapter in her life.

:flowerforyou: Debbie, the only gym I ever worked out in had different days for men and women and the women there were all ages and sizes. I wish you luck and a great attitude as you search for the best place to work out.

:flowerforyou: Zaza, I'm glad you keep coming back. someone told me not to quit five minutes before the miracle.

We're off to Canada tomorrow. We've never crossed the border in our motorhome or with our pets. We'll be in Trail, BC for a week. We'll be in an RV park with no wifi so unless we go to the library to use the computer you won't hear from me until July.

Big hugs to all of you-:heart::heart: :heart: ---you will be with me even when we're not connected by the internet.
    Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

We're off to Canada tomorrow. We've never crossed the border in our motorhome or with our pets. We'll be in Trail, BC for a week. We'll be in an RV park with no wifi so unless we go to the library to use the computer you won't hear from me until July.

Big hugs to all of you-:heart::heart: :heart: ---you will be with me even when we're not connected by the internet.
    Barbie

Hi Barbie

Don't know if you are still on here, but if you are, just wanted to wish you well in your border crossing. As long as you have health certificates and rabies certificates for all the "babies" that are traveling with you, you shouldn't have any trouble going into Canada or coming back. I have crossed between BC and Washington so many times with doggies, I have lost count.

Hope you have a good trip and better weather than Spokane!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barb
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    GOOD MORNING TO ALL,:flowerforyou:

ZAZA, THANK YOU. GOOD ADVICE FOR DEBBIE TO CHECK OUT OTHER CLASSES AT THE Y. MAYBE SHE IS JUST IN THE WRONG ONE FOR HER. GLAD YOU ARE STILL GOING AND EXERCISING. HOW ABOUT YOUR EATING PLAN, BACK ON TRACK? ALWAYS WISHING YOU SUCCESS.

VICKI, THANKS. THINKING OF YOUR DAUGHTER AND PRAYING THAT THERE IS HOPE. I'M LIKE YOU. I TEND TO THINK POSITIVE RIGHT TO THE END. WHAT IS HER NAME? IF YOU ALREADY SAID,I MAY HAVE MISSED IT. I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF GETTING AN OLD LADDIES 3 WHEELER WITH A BASKET. I LOVE TO RIDE BUT THAT IS ALL I CAN DO NOW. MAYBE IN THE FALL.

NANCY, SO GREAT THAT THE GIRLS ARE WITH YOU AND THE REST OF THE FAMILY FOR A NICE VISIT. ENJOY THE FAMILY REUNION. IT'S WONDERFUL THAT THEY NOTICED YOUR LOSS, 30LBS. IS A BIG ACHIEVEMENT.:flowerforyou:

BARBIE, HAVE FUN IN CANADA.:smile:

HAVE A GREAT DAY GIRLS.
    :heart: ANNE
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

I tried a soft honey wheat bread yesterday to try to convince myself to eat better. I actually liked this brand(Arnold's)...maybe I'll even try their whole wheat.:smile:

Barbie, have a great trip. My son is already telling me that we need to plan now to go to Canada for the Olympics.

Eat your best today....afterall, you are in charge.

Bonnie
  • vickim26
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for your prayers. Have a good trip. I will miss hearing from you.
    Anne her name is Heather. She has a meeting and then will go to do blood work, so we wont know until later today. Will keep you posted. You are doing so great with your limited exercise.
    I weighed in today and was 198.4 total of 38 pounds. Have an extra baby today so have to go eat a good breakfast and get ready. Talk to you ladies later.
    Vicki
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Tomorrow my mother is coming up to spend the afternoon & see the girls. The last time they were home she was on an out of state trip and didn't get to see them. We are going to have a mini family reunion and grill out and make home made ice cream, I will definitely have to practice my self-control:bigsmile: Will check in later.

Nancy:heart:

Nancy, That homemade ice cream doesn't have to be such a splurge. Try using your recipe with a lower fat milk, and substitute at least half the sugar with Splenda and you'll be able to enjoy that homemade ice cream... in moderation of course! :wink: (You might even want to try egg substitute as well to REALLY make it diet friendly.) If you normally make it with Eagle Brand milk, try substituting this recipe instead:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/57415-sugar-free-fat-free-condensed-milk

I've used it many times for various recipes that call for Eagle Brand, such as ice cream and no bake pies, and so far no one has been able to tell the difference.

Hope you have a WONDERFUL visit at your "mini family reunion." :flowerforyou:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning All

I've been busy catching up at work so I could take this afternoon off to spend with my daughter. Today is the big day. Can't quite believe the drama of a Grade 8 Graduation. One of the dads rented a limo for his daughter and friends. A stretch limo at 14??? anyway of course i can't deny my daughter this fun opportunity, however I believe its kind of crazy and tooo late for me to pick her up (12:30 a.m.). Oh well all in a day right!!

Well I have been on track for a few days but not exercising at all. My daughter got a new little kitten for her b'day so we've been busy setting her up and shopping for this and that. By the time I'm done for the night it seems to be after 10 and I am literally done by then!! Tomorrow is the last day of school so things will settle down for me. Since summer has finally arrived, I plan to walk for 20 minutes before I come to work. I would have never thought that's something I could do but I WANT to. I feel bad when bed time rolls around and I have'nt had a chance to work off at least 300 cals. It makes sense to get your body going at 6 am instead of 6 pm

My scale has forgiven me for the cheesecake:happy:

My thoughts are with those of you facing challenges today:heart:

Vicki I must say you chose a great name for your daughter:laugh:

Today I will:
    Drink more water
    eat properly
    Try to stay composed at Kait's ceremony

Heather
  • Benson
    Options
    Barbiecat No "talks" for a week??? we will miss you.

Welcome to Canada!!! You will be there for the Canada Day celebration on Wednesday. I hope you enjoy yourselves. If you take a wrong turn and end up in Ontario I would just love to meet you and Jake, and the dogs:laugh: :laugh:

Heather
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: good morning and thank you so much everyone this was all so great to read..
    anne thank you .. i have try some of the lc also i have been trying these two products the past month.they both have some good meals.. so than you just have meetings about how we eat and than watching our weight. i think we do have a planet fitness in the city.. the moth of july i thought i would check out all programs and see what i like..

zaza thank you we are going to the y again today i have to thank our new england rain my daug is swimming so now i thought i would go and talk to someone about some of thee other programs this might just help its funny this past winter they had a dance class going on and when the woman were leaving the same time as me they all seem so happy at what they were learning ..i had thought maybe someday i would try.. i just don't use the y like i should so many i truely need to let go of these feelings that hold me back

lynn thank you its good hearing that everyone is out there trying something and putting out foot forward one step at a time and doing it..

ok again i thank everyone and will get back to you all.. my tea break was a bit longer than i thought when i come on sometimes i don't want to close.. i love this place someone called us sisters and that is so true and its wonderful having all these twins .. i am very thankful i found this site thankk you for whoever the person was who started mfp love debbie and famly
    vicky pray going out to your family we have had you all in our thoughs... i have been paying for this membership and i think about it more than i have gone and there is something there for all my family i need to let go of my feelings zaza had a good thing for me to check into so i am seeking that out and i am going to check out planet fittness and by august make a choice
  • Mimis5
    Mimis5 Posts: 19
    Options
    Vicki - Still praying for your daughter...
    everyone else - you are all doing so great! Wonderful trips planned, family gatherings, and you're all preplanning and making the choices that will bring you healthy success! Awesome! New England is still dripping. Will it ever stop raining and warm up a little? Yuk..... I weighed in this am and I'm down 1.3 lbs.
    WooooooHooooooo! So Far 59.4.... Can't quite seem to make 60, but next week??????????? We'll see!
    God Bless each and every One of you very special women....You are awesome....Laurie
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all:flowerforyou:

The sun is shining again today and it is suppose to get extremely warm again. I am not complaining because we sure haven't had much of a spring but to go from the chilly damp weather to this exteme warmth and humidity sure takes a toll on the entire body. However, we need to take the good with the bad:smile:

I had my weekly apt in the city yesterday and did some errands but managed to get back to have a relaxing soak in my pool. Last night my DH and I went for a nice long walk (after the sun had gone down). I still haven't been able to do too much because of the pain in my knee but some exercise is better than none! The scale is in a holding pattern, which if I let it would really get to me but I am hoping that one day soon it will cooperate and get moving in the downwards fashion again:happy:

For all you gardeners out there...I have a question about Creeping Charlie/Jenny. Anybody know what I am talking about? What has worked for you? Any advice would be so helpful...I seemed to have conquered the dandelions and now I have a new mission:grumble:

Congratulations to the members keeping on course and shedding some more pounds:flowerforyou: For the members still battling some other issues my thoughts and prayers are with you:heart: For everyone please know that you are never alone in whatever issues you are experiencing as we all walk and share this beautiful place together:heart::heart: some people may walk ahead and some behind but most of us are walking side by side. I get great comfort knowing this and thank you:heart:

Keep on working hard and remember to drink lots of water and look after yourselves:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Marie:heart:
  • vickim26
    Options
    Thanks again for all of your thoughts and prayers. Heather it is a good name isn't it. I have to ask you are just finishing school. When do you start back again. We ended the end of May and start back first week in August. Just curious. Heather is at hospital right now getting blood work done. We are meeting for lunch and hopefully doctor will call with results in few hours. Whatever the outcome I just am glad to know. I do not like being in limbo. Will get back to you when I have results. Have a great day everyone.
    Vicki
  • Benson
    Options
    Morning yet again - Boy I'm chatty today:laugh:

Vicki our kids start anywhere from Sept 1-5 or so and finish June 24-26 somewhere with one week in march off and two at Christmas.

Heather
  • vickim26
    Options
    Thanks Heather, I am just nosy.
    Well we got the results back ladies. It is offical. She is not pregnant. The good news is that she can try again right away, which I am sure she will. thank you all so much for your prayers and support., It has meant so much to me.
    Vicki
  • Mimis5
    Mimis5 Posts: 19
    Options
    Vicki....Thanks for letting us know....I know words are never enough. It's wonderful that they can try again so soon. I'll keep her in my prayers. I hope the rest of your day is a peaceful one...Hugs, Laurie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am still around, just have been doing more reading than posting. Sorry to read of the health concerns being experienced by those on our thread and their families.

I posted on a thread that was started by someone who was "trying again" and wanted to know how to make this time "different." I came up with something that I thought you might like to see as well, so here it is:
    After fighting the battle from the time I was about 11 years old, I have learned a few things that I would like to share, so here are my 10 Commandments of PERMANENT Weight Loss:

1. "Normal" is what you make it. So I have changed my "normal" diet to one that does allow me to have things I like, but in moderation. I LIKE breads, and pasta. Thus, although I lost on a low carb program, Adkins is not comfortable for me, long term, so when I went off of it, I gained.

2. Veggies are your friend. In addition to the nutrients they provide, and "good carbs," they are very filling. They can help you reduce your calories and not feel you are starving to death.

3. You can EAT ANYTHING you want, if you P L A N for it, calorie-wise speaking. When I have a special occasion or a dinner out where I know I will be exposed to things I like but don't have everyday, I don't have to deprive myself, because I can go into the MFP database ahead of time, figure out the caloric "cost" of different things and plan how to order. Many restaurants have nutritional information on their websites, which is also helpful for this purpose.

4. People who severely limit their calories will lost, BUT as soon as they try to eat any additional, they will gain very easily. This is because the body becomes too "efficient" by slowing the metabolism to get by with less. The way around this that has worked well for me is "Zig zag calories." You can google it and get all kinds of info, but simply put, you eat MORE on a given day, on a regular basis. For me, every 3 -4 weeks, I will do a day where I might have 2000-2200 calories on a given day. This is different from the other days, where I have 1200-1400 per day.

This WORKS. I lost 20 lbs. in 9 weeks. I have NOT been hungry. I am not feeling deprived. I have foods in my kitchen that would normally send me in to "binge" mode, but they don't bother me now, because I know I can have them, as long as I take into account what else I will be able to eat that day.

5. EXERCISE matters!! I haven't started strength training yet, for reasons of time and practicality, BUT, I am the queen of walking. I average 20-28 miles a week. It is free, can be done by most anyone, baring physical limitations, and if you get yourself a cheap MP3 player (it doesn't HAVE to be a spendy IPOD) load some fast tunes on it, you will be surprised how quickly the time flies.

If you are trying to lose and you are only doing strength training, you are going to be disappointed with the results in terms of pounds lost, but you will likely firm up, build muscle (helps boost your metabolism) and be more toned, so include some cardio for a complete program of exercise.

6. Be responsible for what you put in your mouth. I have heard, and used all the excuses. "It was there" "I was hungry" "My boyfriend made me go to the pizza parlor"
    'or to Baskin & Robbins." (ice cream chain for those that are not familiar w/the name) That last statement may be true, but he didn't hold a gun to your head and FORCE you to eat 5 slices of pizza instead of having one slice and a salad!! and no one threatened you into having a 3 scoop banana split instead of a child size dish of your favorite flavor.

7. People who log their foods lose more weight than those who don't . Thank goodness for MFP!!! People who have a support system, whether family, friends, or online --such as right here-MFP!! are more likely to be successful over the long term than those who don't.

8. People who make permanent changes in the way they deal with food and how and what they eat will lose, maybe not as fast as on a crash diet, but they are much more likely to lose PERMANENTLY!!

9. Be sure to eat enough PROTEIN, and GOOD FATS (Nuts, Avocados, Fish oil/ Omega 3's). The protein will keep your body from consuming muscle to survive, and the fats will help you feel satisfied and avoid the "hungries."

10. Don't use a screw up as an excuse for "falling off the wagon" for the entire day, or week, or month. "I ate a bunch of cookies, so that makes me a failure, therefore, l will eat an entire pizza!!" Hey while I am at it, lets get a burger a fries and a milkshake for lunch tomorrow!!"

And on a related note, remember "FOOD is intended as FUEL." --NOT a source of comfort. Think of it in those terms, and find other ways to satisfy your emotional needs and you will succeed in the long run.

I will try to catch up later.

Barb
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love it and am printing it out to post near the fridge. Have a wonderful day, Rosemary
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    good evening all..
    vicki so sorry about your daughter very glad to her they can try agian and not wait..our thoughts and prayers are with yous

will i am happy to say i made it to the ymca and walk on the treadmill for 45 mins i also talk with some of the people there an have learn about some programs now its making up my mind and going.. today allysa my 18 yr old came and lisa my 10 year old lisa was able to go swimmin while allysa and i work out. its not far from my home 20 min ride. i always find something else or find an reason not to go and i can't do that anymore i want to be healthyer i don't want to weigh this amout anymore one day at a time..

barb that was 10 wonderful saying.

laurie good job wit the weight lost how long have you been doing this. what have you done that started keeping it going down everyweek.. for the first time in a long time for two weeks now i have finally stay going down. wow... not been easy...

well its 8
    ;p.m. and the girls and i are going to have a pj party tonight hubby is working on the highway so lisa wanted us all to sleep in the living room thank goodness for sofabeds..everyone have a safe and peaceful eving love debbie and family

my today goals move drink water move