Unrequented friend requests!

Options

Replies

• stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Also, has anyone mentioned that the word is "unrequited" not "unrequented?" I'm not sure what unrequented means.

You're absolutlely right on correktin me sbellin on this. I'll have myself shot at dawn....luck girl.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's because you make up stupid words like 'unrequented'?
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well, when a 21-year-old guy I've never seen on the boards and who has no mutual friends sends me a FR with absolutely no comment in it, I don't feel the need to go too far out of my way to explain why I'm not accepting.

Sorry.

EXACTLY!!!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Unrequited. Good grief.

Charlie brown......
    every body clap your hands.
    *clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap*......
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I joined this site three years ago, but really didn't start using it actively until this month. Frankly, I'm a little surprised at how many restrictions people here place on friend requests.

I really don't get it. I have about 1,600 friends on Facebook, and basically I accept all friend requests from (1) people I know, and (2) people with whom I have a significant number of friends in common. Those are really the only restrictions I place on it.

I don't require you to send me a note and stroke my ego just to be my "friend" on a social-networking site. I don't have friends of only one gender. I don't require that you have the same interests or goals in life.

That's just silly, IMO. It's just the Internet; I'm not inviting you over to babysit my kids.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    *Since this topic posted I've received 4 requests and only 1 with a note, "Hi". Decline! <sigh>

Damn.....There goes that idea....
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I just don't let it bother me.....used to when I first started here.....nowadays if I send and it goes nowhere f 'em in the A because I've already got the best friends ever and thought they would be good to join the party \m/
  • mazzyw65
    mazzyw65 Posts: 47
    Options
    I don't get enough requests to turn down. Only turned 1 down and that was a troll here a few months ago.

I don't either, i'm sooo lonely!!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    LMAO-

Anyone else think it's rude to ignore requests? a polite reply would be nice..something along these lines:

1. Thanks but I'm comfortable with my current friends list.

2. Sorry but you don't fit my friend profile.

3. I liked one of your comments that's not really enough.

or

4. **** off you ****stalking ******!!!! I'm calling the cops now....

don't leave a guy hanging :smile: .
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the people that basically say "prove to me you want to be my friend before I friend you". It appears rude. I always want to ask them if they use that philosophy in real life. Ala if someone says 'hi' to their face do they snap back "why do you want to speak to me?" Just seems slightly power trippy/control issue.

Why not just accept the friend request and if the new friend acts like an idiot...bam..they lose that privlege and get unfriended. It's the internet, but it's okay to just be nice sometimes.

And it's not like its FB, where people post too much private information they shouldn't anyway, so there may be more reason to not automatically 'friend'.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Also, has anyone mentioned that the word is "unrequited" not "unrequented?" I'm not sure what unrequented means.

You're absolutlely right on correktin me sbellin on this. I'll have myself shot at dawn....luck girl.
    You could have yourself shot or you could just check dictionary.com next time you want to start a new thread using a word you've heard before in a romantic comedy starring Drew Barrymore or Julia Roberts, but have never actually seen in print. I'd suggest the latter. It's less messy.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I've never denied a friend request (YET) but honestly, If you sent me a friend request, I would probably deny it unless you actually had a profile I could view. (even an age and a "I'm Stevewynjones and I like hockey" or something... I do like to know what I have in common with other people, like if we both enjoy running, or certain types of music etc.

Just sayin' :)
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I joined this site three years ago, but really didn't start using it actively until this month. Frankly, I'm a little surprised at how many restrictions people here place on friend requests.

I really don't get it. I have about 1,600 friends on Facebook, and basically I accept all friend requests from (1) people I know, and (2) people with whom I have a significant number of friends in common. Those are really the only restrictions I place on it.

I don't require you to send me a note and stroke my ego just to be my "friend" on a social-networking site. I don't have friends of only one gender. I don't require that you have the same interests or goals in life.

That's just silly, IMO. It's just the Internet; I'm not inviting you over to babysit my kids.

Agree.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I accept everyone...my friends call me a *kitten*.

We call you a *kitten* for other reasons!
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the people that basically say "prove to me you want to be my friend before I friend you". It appears rude. I always want to ask them if they use that philosophy in real life. Ala if someone says 'hi' to their face do they snap back "why do you want to speak to me?" Just seems slightly power trippy/control issue.

This. See my post above; I feel exactly the same way.
  • smileymel27
    smileymel27 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks!
    People on sites like this are not actual friends, save a few.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've received many with no notes and when I checked the person out they had no replies to threads or mutual friends. I don't really want to be a part of someone’s collection. <shivers>
    Now, if they add a note I’m more likely to accept, but not always. Sometimes I just get the creeper vibe and the moment you reply back to them the convo starts… and I really don’t’ want to start that with a creeper.
    So, be honest, did you say something creepy in your friend request? ;)

I agree with you. I am wary of people who just send me a request but I can't figure out WHY!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm a picky b*tch and I don't want just anyone having access to my information.

On here, Facebook, or IRL.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    Maybe the people who are getting overwhelming friend requests are just so awesome everyone wants to bask in your awesomeness....at least that's my thought when I get random requests.....:wink:
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    My page states I'm rude, crude and socially unacceptable so if you FR me and dont get accepted... it really shouldnt come as a shock to you.