Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Nah i just don't care enough.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Well, when a 21-year-old guy I've never seen on the boards and who has no mutual friends sends me a FR with absolutely no comment in it, I don't feel the need to go too far out of my way to explain why I'm not accepting.

Sorry.

^^^^^^ This exactly!!!

Also, I had this happen yesterday. I got friend requested yesterday, we seemed to have mutual interests, I accepted and by this morning he had deleted me. No loss to me really, but I'm thinking he started it!!!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I only deny people who don't send a request with a message...I am not going to waste the time responding to them.

^^THIS

And sending a canned response like "I like your smile" doesn't count, and is just plain creepy.

thats totally your fault for having a huge smile on your profile pic.
    put boobs instead...
    its unlikely to get a request that says "I like your boobs"... instead they'll talk about "your personality" and how "you seem fun"
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Nah i just don't care enough.

That's why I never sent you one. I'm afraid of rejection with no reasoning. :cry: :wink:
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't respond to friend requests without a message because I have no idea why they want to be my friend. Usually I try to go look at their profile, but often I can't since I'm not their friend. Withough anything to go on I don't have much of an option.
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Who cares. They're just strangers on the internet. Don't take it too hard.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I have a doctorate and I still cant spell. or form coherent thoughts.
    But you aren't insecure about it, so it's cool. I'm also guessing you aren't going to make repetitive lame jokes about suicide.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Also, has anyone mentioned that the word is "unrequited" not "unrequented?" I'm not sure what unrequented means.

You're absolutlely right on correktin me sbellin on this. I'll have myself shot at dawn....luck girl.
    You could have yourself shot or you could just check dictionary.com next time you want to start a new thread using a word you've heard before in a romantic comedy starring Drew Barrymore or Julia Roberts, but have never actually seen in print. I'd suggest the latter. It's less messy.

I know, want to do it? If I had a resource like that website when I did my masters I would have probably failed...oh well.

Goodbye cruel world.......BANG!!!
    Oh how cute. You threw in a comment about having a Masters degree so we wouldn't think you really didn't know how to spell. At which university did you study? I want to make sure I don't go there when I start in the fall.

Oh good it's not just me then....
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I've also found a lot of people who "require a note to be friends" lie.

I never, ever leave a note (maybe 2 since I joined, b/c it was funny funny ha ha) and people add me :D
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Also, has anyone mentioned that the word is "unrequited" not "unrequented?" I'm not sure what unrequented means.

You're absolutlely right on correktin me sbellin on this. I'll have myself shot at dawn....luck girl.
    You could have yourself shot or you could just check dictionary.com next time you want to start a new thread using a word you've heard before in a romantic comedy starring Drew Barrymore or Julia Roberts, but have never actually seen in print. I'd suggest the latter. It's less messy.

I know, want to do it? If I had a resource like that website when I did my masters I would have probably failed...oh well.

Goodbye cruel world.......BANG!!!
    Oh how cute. You threw in a comment about having a Masters degree so we wouldn't think you really didn't know how to spell. At which university did you study? I want to make sure I don't go there when I start in the fall.

Oh good it's not just me then....

yeah.
    I was just waiting for someone to point out my username should be DrDude..... but im not that pretentious.
    also, I have had the same username since I was 12.
    and thats not my real last name.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be rude to someone who walked up and said hi. But if a complete stranger knocks on my door and asks to come in, that's probably not going to happen.

If I interact with you on the boards or through mutual friends, a message is probably not necessary with a FR. But if we've never crossed paths in a memorable way, I need more than a blank request. I don't collect friends.
  • Pauline3290
    Options
    Anyone else think it's rude to ignore requests? a polite reply would be nice..something along these lines:

1. Thanks but I'm comfortable with my current friends list.

2. Sorry but you don't fit my friend profile.

3. I liked one of your comments that's not really enough.

or

4. **** off you ****stalking ******!!!! I'm calling the cops now....

don't leave a guy hanging :smile: .

I agree with you, a kind response costs nothing.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be rude to someone who walked up and said hi. But if a complete stranger knocks on my door and asks to come in, that's probably not going to happen.

If I interact with you on the boards or through mutual friends, a message is probably not necessary with a FR. But if we've never crossed paths in a memorable way, I need more than a blank request. I don't collect friends.

Make sure you compare apples to apples.

This isn't the equivalent of a stranger walking into your house.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with a response if I deny you. But, I'm very much likely to deny you without a message if I have never seen you on here before. That's my personal preference. OH, and I should add that becareful with what you type in a message. If you put one cuss word, even the word "hell", the person receiving the friend request will not get it and you'll be left saddened and feeling rejected thinking they declined you. Meanwhile, it's only because MFP blocked the request.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't send them or receive them...it must be me !!!
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    I don't respond to friend requests without a message because I have no idea why they want to be my friend. Usually I try to go look at their profile, but often I can't since I'm not their friend. Withough anything to go on I don't have much of an option.

Here's a shocker, because you're both fat?

Seriously. They're not asking to combine with you on a business plan.

you're not supposed to call anyone here fat.
    I got a warning for that.
    even though, they said it first... it was "offensive"
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Hold on imma make some popcorn .... and hope i dont get pulled over by the grammar police WeeOOOweeOOO....
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I joined this site three years ago, but really didn't start using it actively until this month. Frankly, I'm a little surprised at how many restrictions people here place on friend requests.

I really don't get it. I have about 1,600 friends on Facebook, and basically I accept all friend requests from (1) people I know, and (2) people with whom I have a significant number of friends in common. Those are really the only restrictions I place on it.

I don't require you to send me a note and stroke my ego just to be my "friend" on a social-networking site. I don't have friends of only one gender. I don't require that you have the same interests or goals in life.

That's just silly, IMO. It's just the Internet; I'm not inviting you over to babysit my kids.

I have no clue why you would want 1600 people knowing your personal business. or maybe you just use social networking in a different way than I do. I use it connect with people, to get to know them, let them know me. I share some personal stuff sometimes, and that isn't something I want 1500 random people knowing. Everyone uses sites like this and FB for different reasons. I don't have to understand yours, you don't have to understand mine. But to call me silly b/c I disagree with your reasons is rude.

Let's agree to disagree. But for the record, I don't share the intimate goings-on of my personal life on FB. Never have, never will.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I used to accept any friend request I had coming my way, then I realised my friend list was a bloated mess!

Then I realised a lot of people are pointless to have as friends, I mean really I cannot muster up care about someone's success if I don't feel a connection here (this may sound rude but it's the truth).

So I started rejecting friend requests (with a reply) but lots of people took this the wrong way, I now just decline them if I don't see a reason to start a friendship (we bonded during a thread, over time, have a common interest or they've said something personalised in the welcome message they sent to me showing they actually want to interact) if you don't tick any of these boxes then don't EXPECT a response from me.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    you'll be left saddened and feeling rejected thinking they declined you.

~whistles trying not to feel like a dumbsh!t~