Unrequented friend requests!

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be rude to someone who walked up and said hi. But if a complete stranger knocks on my door and asks to come in, that's probably not going to happen.

If I interact with you on the boards or through mutual friends, a message is probably not necessary with a FR. But if we've never crossed paths in a memorable way, I need more than a blank request. I don't collect friends.

Make sure you compare apples to apples.

This isn't the equivalent of a stranger walking into your house.

Both are my private, personal space. Sending me a FR is like knocking on my door. It's called a metaphor. We learn about them in high school English class.

I enjoy that this is a thread about politeness that is filled with rude responses.

The initial premise is rude. No one is required to send a message for denying an unsolicited request.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the people that basically say "prove to me you want to be my friend before I friend you". It appears rude. I always want to ask them if they use that philosophy in real life. Ala if someone says 'hi' to their face do they snap back "why do you want to speak to me?" Just seems slightly power trippy/control issue.

Why not just accept the friend request and if the new friend acts like an idiot...bam..they lose that privlege and get unfriended. It's the internet, but it's okay to just be nice sometimes.

And it's not like its FB, where people post too much private information they shouldn't anyway, so there may be more reason to not automatically 'friend'.

/\. Some people here with very high opinions of themselves. So special.

Personally I like a joke, and around 7/10 actually try. For the FR I send, I haven't sent a request to anyone I haven't gotten to know a little via email first in quite awhile. Then sometimes they're like "are you ever going to FR"?

I dont recall ever declining anyone either, though there was this one guy with 400+ friends which I didn't know until later. I also go through pruning like some do sometimes. Stuff that gets you cut : 50 updates a day. Talking about your life drama non stop without ever supporting or contributing something health wise. People who dress up cats.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I don't respond to friend requests without a message because I have no idea why they want to be my friend. Usually I try to go look at their profile, but often I can't since I'm not their friend. Withough anything to go on I don't have much of an option.

Here's a shocker, because you're both fat?

Seriously. They're not asking to combine with you on a business plan.

Could you be anymore rude? :noway:

Did it ever occur to you that others are in control of their list of friends?

You may not know this but not everyone will agree with you. Why not just say "Okay, people have a different opinion on this than me. End of story"

But nooooo....you want to try to convince the rest of us that we should accept all FR NO MATTER WHAT. wth??

Good grief.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I only ever ignore requests that either don't include a message, or where the message says 'wow, you've lost a lot of weight'.... Because it's polite to actually bother to look at my profile before posting, and if they're not basically polite, I don't want them on my list, and I don't feel I owe them the courtesy of a reply.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Very rude! Decide later if you don't want to keep them for whatever reason......
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If they write a note along with the request, I do the same with a denial and thank them for the request. If they don't include a comment with the FR, I just deny it without comment.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

You're telling me to lighten up? I haven't been contemplating suicide.

Oh you should, you get TV time and if you pick the right bridge you can really screw up rush hour ;) and when you come down everyone feels great for saving you.....
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I usually collect friends for a month or two, then one day I'll just up and whack everybody. Then I lay low for a few weeks and then start to slowly acuire all new friends and the cycle begins again. My goal is to eventually to whack everybody on MFP at least once.

I cant help it, I'm a serial whacker.....
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    wow, this got derailed for a typo...must be a slow day on the interwebs.
    He did it on purpose. Not a typo. It was my mistake that I didn't get the joke.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My profile states "no message= no accept". Blank requests are typically the only ones I decline. I don't feel I owe them an explanation since it should've been obvious to them when submitting their request in the first place.

^^^ This. I have it on my profile too, and my profile is open to all MFP members, so....no excuses. :wink:

Agreed.... I have the same thing on my profile here. It's a bit annoying to get a friend request without a note, out of courtesy its just polite to send a person a quick note saying why you'd like to have them as a "friend" (same interests, previous interactivity, same friends", and etc.), otherwise in my opinion you are just collecting friends.

On Facebook none of my friends aren't people I don't know personally or haven't met face to face. Sure I understand I'm not asking them to babysit my kids and this is just the internet, I simply don't let random people I have ZERO connection or something in common with into the some of the details of my life and I sure don't want to know theirs.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be rude to someone who walked up and said hi. But if a complete stranger knocks on my door and asks to come in, that's probably not going to happen.

If I interact with you on the boards or through mutual friends, a message is probably not necessary with a FR. But if we've never crossed paths in a memorable way, I need more than a blank request. I don't collect friends.

Both are my private, personal space. Sending me a FR is like knocking on my door. It's called a metaphor. We learn about them in high school English class.

I enjoy that this is a thread about politeness that is filled with rude responses.

The initial premise is rude. No one is required to send a message for denying an unsolicited request.

and the only way to respond to perceived rudeness is to be rude right back. This always solves disputes.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I only ever ignore requests that either don't include a message, or where the message says 'wow, you've lost a lot of weight'.... Because it's polite to actually bother to look at my profile before posting, and if they're not basically polite, I don't want them on my list, and I don't feel I owe them the courtesy of a reply.

in their defense.. you did lose alot of weight.
  • MrDude_1
    Options

and the only way to respond to perceived rudeness is to be rude right back. This always solves disputes.

or kill them with kindness... and cyanide.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I usually collect friends for a month or two, then one day I'll just up and whack everybody. Then I lay low for a few weeks and then start to slowly acuire all new friends and the cycle begins again. My goal is to eventually to whack everybody on MFP at least once.

Omgggggg that's funny!!! A serial whacker
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Irony is my favorite thing in the world. Thank you for a smile this afternoon!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

friend request sent....
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

Irony is my favorite thing in the world. Thank you for a smile this afternoon!
  • MrDude_1
    Options

friend request sent....

im a premature-e-wackulater... i click decline right away.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

friend request sent....

star_wars_its_a_trap.jpg
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

It wasn't a rude premise, it was just a question from a person expressing an opinion different to yours. He didn't post it in a rude way, if anything I found it a little self deprecating and got the impression he wasn't deadly serious.

OK, That's all, I have nothing to add but I hate to just type 'bump'. I wanna see how long this thread lasts