Has anyone gone on a Juice Fast?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My dad has gone on a juice fast. I believe he lost 20 something pounds and he kept it off :smile:

I also went of a modified juice fast for about a week and I lost around 5 pounds. It was hard the first few days but then I started to feel more energetic! I would defidently recommend it :flowerforyou:

As far as recipes go you just need to play around and find something you like. The best advice I could give it to juice all the colors of the rainbow to get all your nutrients.

Hope it goes well! Happy juicing :drinker:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna

Your dad lost 20lbs of what?

I did something similar to a juice fast, I lost 25lbs in 3 weeks. Since i kept track of my body fat before and after. I lost 19lbs of muscle and 6lbs of FAT.

Juicing is a terrible idea.

All these people are saying they lost weight on a juice fast, question is "What type of weight?"

Don't do it, it's pointless.

Yep. It wasn't juicing but my father-in-law did a VLCD a couple of years ago and lost 50 lbs. Now he has a heart condition-- they told him he lost so much muscle and his heart is a muscle, so now he's having problems.

The worst part in his case is that he did put the weight back on, except now it's all fat. So he's much worse off than when he started.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I did a juice fast for 30 days and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. It was NOT a cure-all but it was the first step I took to get my autoimmune conditions under control. Doing the fast actually let me see what it would be like to live my life as a healthy normal person without pain. I didn't lose a ton of weight on the fast but that wasn't really the point. The weight loss was just a pleasant bonus.

If you plan to do the fast just make sure you are drinking plenty of green juice for protein (lots and lots of protein in kale) and drink a LOT of juice. The purpose is to bask in the glory of the juice not to get as few calories as possible. I drank 4-6 16 ounce juices per day which is still giving quite a good size dose of calories and protein. (again, LOTS of protein in green juice and my juices were VERY green heavy).

Also make sure you are juicing a rainbow every day. I would go through: kale, collards, spinach, swiss chard, rainbow chard, beet stems, sweet potatoes, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, oranges, apples, ginger, lemons, limes, cucumber, celery, fennel,pineapple, cherries, strawberries, grapes, peaches, pears.. If I could make juice from it, I at least tried it.

Although you want to make sure that you are consuming from the rainbow, your main focus should be on vegetables, mainly greens. I would start my day with a sweeter frutier juice but other than my morning juice, I made sure the rest of my juices were 80% veg and 20% fruit based on unjuiced volume. Pretty much the fruit is there just to make the vegetables taste better so that I would be encouraged to drink more juice!

I used an auger style juicer which I believe due to it's low RPM's gives you a better quality juice. It is also the easiest juicer on the market to clean.(Omega 8006) Which to me was a big plus since my previous juicer was used exactly twice before I gave up due to how difficult it was to clean.

After finishing my fast, I kept juices in my diet drinking at least one green juice every day and sometimes a carrot based juice with dinner. Later I started doing a juice-smoothie hybrid where I would juice the kale and apples but then put a small amount of softer fruits and avocado in the blender so that I could benefit from the insoluble fiber in them.
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    UGGGGGGH Thread is from 2012. What a waste of time.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I love all the so called know-it-alls in this thread, the critics, the "fitness trainers". The math crunchers(aka nutrition sophism). Calorie is not a calorie, and its not calories in calories out, nice cliché but the most current body of evidence is that you cannot eat your way to good health with conventional wisdom. Also know as, do some not to failure strength training , eating lots of "healthy" whole grains, beans, low fat dairy and lean meats. Haven't you guys put down the kool-aid yet, had enough of working out 5 days a week, eating bland 1980's style diet food, like skinless chicken breasts and steamed broccoli working SO hard to look like an airbrushed fitness model just to gain it back. I think these threads should be banned toage 27 and under people. You guys can do a diet of anything and lose weight, I know I was that way. I saw Joe Cross' movie, interesting, but I neither dismiss it or accept it. Have to study the science. Some fo you need to lose your zealotry, its not becoming. And what the hell is a "Kickboxing" instructor, I know of no martial art..kickboxing, sounds the 2000's equivalent to an aerobics instructor albeit with a martial arts sounding name.

strong first post, and thanks for keeping a thread from April '12 alive and kicking(kickboxing joke)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

There is not lots of protein in kale :noway:
  • Missjulesdid
    Options

By juicing standards there is. I would put 6 cups of chopped kale in a juice and that would give me 13 grams of protein from just the kale. You'd never sit down and eat six cups of kale, but you can very easily juice it and drink it! Yeah, it's not like eating a chicken breast, but still 13 grams of protein is nothing to sneeze at. Juicing is not high in protein but I got enough protein from my juices to avoid much muscle loss and yes of course I monitored my body composition and I did lose about half a pound of muscle along with some fat and excess retained water that's a small price to pay for the health benefits I gained from the experience
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

By juicing standards there is. I would put 6 cups of chopped kale in a juice and that would give me 13 grams of protein from just the kale. You'd never sit down and eat six cups of kale, but you can very easily juice it and drink it! Yeah, it's not like eating a chicken breast, but still 13 grams of protein is nothing to sneeze at. Juicing is not high in protein but I got enough protein from my juices to avoid much muscle loss and yes of course I monitored my body composition and I did lose about half a pound of muscle along with some fat and excess retained water that's a small price to pay for the health benefits I gained from the experience

One thing to consider, other than the low protein as a whole is that kale (and other vegetables) are not complete proteins.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My dad has gone on a juice fast. I believe he lost 20 something pounds and he kept it off :smile:

I also went of a modified juice fast for about a week and I lost around 5 pounds. It was hard the first few days but then I started to feel more energetic! I would defidently recommend it :flowerforyou:

As far as recipes go you just need to play around and find something you like. The best advice I could give it to juice all the colors of the rainbow to get all your nutrients.

Hope it goes well! Happy juicing :drinker:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna

Your dad lost 20lbs of what?

I did something similar to a juice fast, I lost 25lbs in 3 weeks. Since i kept track of my body fat before and after. I lost 19lbs of muscle and 6lbs of FAT.

Juicing is a terrible idea.

All these people are saying they lost weight on a juice fast, question is "What type of weight?"

Don't do it, it's pointless.

Yep. It wasn't juicing but my father-in-law did a VLCD a couple of years ago and lost 50 lbs. Now he has a heart condition-- they told him he lost so much muscle and his heart is a muscle, so now he's having problems.

The worst part in his case is that he did put the weight back on, except now it's all fat. So he's much worse off than when he started.

alllllll of this ^^

you might be losing more than you think when you lose from a juice fast.
    no real evidence to support any good, just because people did it for thousands of years does not mean it should be recommended
    you can lose weight and keep it off with solid foods :)
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    "While they can be a good way to press the “restart button,” it isn’t scientifically proven that your body actually needs to be cleansed. “Your body is pretty high tech, and if you think about it, it cleanses itself pretty frequently,” says Leslie Schilling, R.D., Memphis-based nutrition counselor.

A day or two is likely safe, she says, but if you’re on a cleanse for an extended period of time, you could end up hypocaloric, and your body is going to start tapping into fat stores, forcing the liver to releasing glucose and eventually breaking down muscle tissue.

“It really depends on the person and how much extra storage they have lying around,” says Schilling. “But within three or four days you’re going to see somebody potentially tap into other stores once their body realizes it’s not getting the energy it needs from sources like fat and protein.”

So while a cleanse could result in some fat burned, it’s a bad idea to try a cleanse with the intention of losing weight, says Boyer, since any weight loss comes at the expense of muscle loss"