Has anyone gone on a Juice Fast?

Options

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with juice cleanses. yall in middle america will catch up to those of us on the coasts some day. weird how we're all healthier... :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    lol! no actually I didn't find any names of any of the toxins. All I know is, I will contiue to juice while eating healthy, and skip the juice only fad.

Indeed.

Adding juice as part of an otherwise well-rounded diet = awesome.

Consuming only juice for X days = probably a bad idea (or at best, not a good idea).

(Full disclosure: I will be adding back in my vitamix smoothies (so not exactly juice, but the same idea) once I'm done with this cut. Can't do them yet because too many carby calories. *sigh*)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    This past weekend after tons of research I decided to do a juice fast/cleanse.

I'm struggling to understand the very first sentence.
    I couldn't leave the house because apparently it was working fantastic and my body was indeed cleansing itself.

Okay, now *this* I understand. However, diarrhea =/= cleansing. Well, I mean, it does, but not in the toxin-removing way you apparently think it does.

Oh, speaking of toxins, did you happen to find the name of a single toxin that is cleansed from your body from this "cleanse" that wouldn't otherwise have been eliminated while still eating food? I would be forever grateful if you could let me know the name of even one. I don't need an exhaustive list. Just one. Thanks. :flowerforyou:

Poor Jof, the holy grail remains undiscovered.

Perhaps one day my quest will be complete.

One day. Perhaps.

*sigh*
  • Moondance_Starflower
    Options
    I've done a 40 day fast. I was in Ecuador at the time and not monitoring my loss religiously, but I lost a TON of weight. I'd say I went from 160 to 130 or so. I followed a vegetarian and mostly raw diet for maybe two months after that and, while I gained a little back, I was still at a weight I was comfortable with.

THEN the holidays hit and a glass of wine here, empanada there and batidos whenever (smoothies made with condensed milk and lots of sugar).. I ended up gaining it all back plus 20 more when I returned to the US.

I don't think this has to be the case. It is sooo vital to break the fast properly AND completely change your eating lifestyle forever moving forward. If you aren't ready to do that, I would not recommend a juice fast.

I want to do one again, because it was a really amazing, insightful and spiritual experience... But MAN. I ended up weighing 180 the year I got pregnant... Add the pregnancy on to that and you've got yourself a really challenging way to go from here.

If you are ready for a lifestyle transition, go for it!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with juice cleanses. yall in middle america will catch up to those of us on the coasts some day. weird how we're all healthier... :drinker:
    Ya had me with the first sentence. The second sentence was inflammatory. Not everybody out here in the midwest is still stuck on the butter and steak thing. Plenty of good produce available for those who seek it out. And our soil is top notch! My garden grows itself.
  • naturesmitten
    Options
    I am on the 9th day of my 30 day juice fast goal. I started at 35lbs overweight. I have lost 11lbs and attribute the 1st 5lbs to water weight. I am craving only healthy foods and mostly just the ones I am juicing. I am looking forward to eating the foods raw and steamed. Also, the juicing has given me way more vitamins than I am capable of eating raw or cooked in a day. I am full of energy and have started doing exercises that I haven't done in a decade. I encourage only people that want too try this to do it. If you think it is a fad, then do something you believe in instead.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I am on the 9th day of my 30 day juice fast goal. I started at 35lbs overweight. I have lost 11lbs and attribute the 1st 5lbs to water weight. I am craving only healthy foods and mostly just the ones I am juicing. I am looking forward to eating the foods raw and steamed. Also, the juicing has given me way more vitamins than I am capable of eating raw or cooked in a day. I am full of energy and have started doing exercises that I haven't done in a decade. I encourage only people that want too try this to do it. If you think it is a fad, then do something you believe in instead.

Let's run some numbers here. 5 lbs of water, that leaves 6 lbs that you think is fat. At 3500 calories/pound of fat, that's 21000 deficit. Over 9 days, that's 2333 calories of deficit per day. Assuming 1200 calories of food at a bare minimum, that means a total daily burn of 3500. Assuming your TDEE (before exercise) is 2100, that's 1300 extra calories you think you're burning. You must be very tired from all of this exercise. I know I would be.

TL;DR - I don't think you lost 6 pounds of fat in 9 days.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Why are these zombie juicing threads re-surfacing? :explode:
  • nancy_cortez
    Options
    How many days of juicing should I do to lose 10 pounds? I also do 2 hours of Zumba Dancing everyday
  • jamescleark5
    Options
    Sure, I had created accomplished juice cleanse procedure past calendar month, When I consider 3 day juice cleanse as a beginner, Truly very hard in beginning time period, however after that it ended up being a frequent regime, At this point I consider 5 day fruit juice purify pertaining to detox my human body.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How many days of juicing should I do to lose 10 pounds? I also do 2 hours of Zumba Dancing everyday

This is a supremely bad idea. For several reasons.

1.) no real food plus 2 hours of cardio is a recipe for disaster
    2.) digestive upset plus dancing
    3.) your loss will be water and muscle, with only a small amount of fat
  • letolover
    letolover Posts: 2
    Options
    That is awesome. I was ending day 6 of mine reading all this and realized I was just gonna fall off it... Willpower is the key. Just reading so many naysayers I was just.... I lost it! I was STARVING!!! I've been ok... but.. oh well.
    I think I lost about 5 pounds but then I went and ate... :blushing:
  • lwg8tr0514
    Options
    I love all the so called know-it-alls in this thread, the critics, the "fitness trainers". The math crunchers(aka nutrition sophism). Calorie is not a calorie, and its not calories in calories out, nice cliché but the most current body of evidence is that you cannot eat your way to good health with conventional wisdom. Also know as, do some not to failure strength training , eating lots of "healthy" whole grains, beans, low fat dairy and lean meats. Haven't you guys put down the kool-aid yet, had enough of working out 5 days a week, eating bland 1980's style diet food, like skinless chicken breasts and steamed broccoli working SO hard to look like an airbrushed fitness model just to gain it back. I think these threads should be banned toage 27 and under people. You guys can do a diet of anything and lose weight, I know I was that way. I saw Joe Cross' movie, interesting, but I neither dismiss it or accept it. Have to study the science. Some fo you need to lose your zealotry, its not becoming. And what the hell is a "Kickboxing" instructor, I know of no martial art..kickboxing, sounds the 2000's equivalent to an aerobics instructor albeit with a martial arts sounding name.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love all the so called know-it-alls in this thread, the critics, the "fitness trainers". The math crunchers(aka nutrition sophism). Calorie is not a calorie, and its not calories in calories out, nice cliché but the most current body of evidence is that you cannot eat your way to good health with conventional wisdom. Also know as, do some not to failure strength training , eating lots of "healthy" whole grains, beans, low fat dairy and lean meats. Haven't you guys put down the kool-aid yet, had enough of working out 5 days a week, eating bland 1980's style diet food, like skinless chicken breasts and steamed broccoli working SO hard to look like an airbrushed fitness model just to gain it back. I think these threads should be banned toage 27 and under people. You guys can do a diet of anything and lose weight, I know I was that way. I saw Joe Cross' movie, interesting, but I neither dismiss it or accept it. Have to study the science. Some fo you need to lose your zealotry, its not becoming. And what the hell is a "Kickboxing" instructor, I know of no martial art..kickboxing, sounds the 2000's equivalent to an aerobics instructor albeit with a martial arts sounding name.

Was there a point to this post or are you just being an *kitten*?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Actually I'm doing a fruit smoothie cleanse for the next few days. For the most TMI reason ever: I ate too much garlic and onions over the past couple of months and frankly was starting to develop a most socially unacceptable body odor. Fresh out of the shower my skin smelled like moldy veggies in a forgotten fridge drawer. Ick!

I also want to see what it will do to my satiety. Might make me ravenous. Curious to find out. But either way, the stink must go. It's the DeStinkinator Cleanse, available now for three payments of $49.99, be sure to visit my website and type in the code WASTEOFMONEY for your free shipping. Fruit not included. :wink:
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Been here since 2008 and that is your 1st post? I couldn't even make sense of your rant.

Try again.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Hmm

Over 27? Check
    Doesn't eat whole grains? Check (I know, I know, I like white flour)
    Doesn't eat bland food? Double check
    Full fat? Check
    Maintaining weight loss? Check

Looks like I'm allowed to post.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I have no idea what your point is.
  • kelvincornish1
    Options
    I have one "green" drink a day during the week when I wake up before I cycle to work. My drink consists of either kale or spinach plus whatever else is in the house. I do include some kind of fruit plus a handful of mixed seeds for protein. I also add lemon or lime juice and ginger. But the rest of the day I eat "normal" food. Shock horror sometimes I may have a piece of cake and at weekends I always have a biscuit (cookie across the pond) with a cup of tea on wake up. I am 53 yrs old, 11 stone with body fat of around 12%. I also drink beer/wine/whisk(e)y/G&T etc. Next weekend I will be getting drunk at a 25th wedding anniversary where lots of friends will be in attendance.

If a juicing fast works for you then great! Enjoy it and I really hope it helps you. For me personally I could only manage one a day and that is not every day. Certainly when we are on holiday in September I will be eating more crappy food and drinking more alcohol than normal. To balance that I will be hitting the gym (yes even on holiday). My advice is do what works for you.