Ladies - Would you date someone who is divorced?

Options

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    No, he'd have to be married too.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    No.

Because I date to get married, and I am not promising "till death" to someone who has already illustrated that marraige doesn't mean that.

Sometimes there are circumstances that warrant a divorce or make it inevitable.

"Circumstancs" is not 'till death, now is it?

Remember, It takes two to keep a marriage going.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely, as long as the kids are over 18. I am divorced so that is not a problem for me. I do have a restriction on how soon after a man is separated before I will date him... because I am looking for a long-term relationship and most folks, shortly after separating or right after divorce, are not ready for a new relationship... they're best to spend time alone or to just date randomly rather than seriously.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    I would rather date a divorced man than a married man.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I want a divorce. It's not me. It's you. There's nothing you can do about it. Here are the papers. I want you out by the weekend, because your replacement needs a place to stay.

Now you're tainted goods. Sorry.
  • DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    I hear ya,Im in the same boat.My ex and I just started going different directions after 14 years of marriage so we decided to go our own ways.Ive been single now for about a year and a half and have dated a few times.I have no problem dating divorced women and I think most women dont have a problem dating a divorced man.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am 28, and if I were single I would. My answer would have probably been the same a few years ago too.
  • mandachristine
    mandachristine Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I definitely would. Why not? Without knowing the circumstances, how can you judge someone?
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Of course... why wouldnt I ??
  • Stacey_Lorraine
    Options
    No.

Because I date to get married, and I am not promising "till death" to someone who has already illustrated that marraige doesn't mean that.

so say there was a guy who was divorced because his wife cheated on him repeatedly you would totally rule him out for not staying with her even though she was committing adultery?
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    No.

I know people who got divorced because their spouse was abusing them. Cheated on them (and in one case gave them an STI). frauded them. turned out to be gay... seriously, there are a lot of reasons why people get divorced and not all of them are issues that can be 'worked through'.
  • SnTsMum
    SnTsMum Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Depends on the circumstances definitely. If the guy cheated on his wife....absolutely not.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Well no, my husband would hardly approve. But if I were single? Sure. Extra points if the person could be civil to the ex.

this :)
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am divorced doesn't mean I don't take marriage seriously or that I didn't take my vows seriously, my now ex didn't take his seriously and had a problem with the forsaking all others part. I deserve better and I know it.

That said I would want to know why he was divorced.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm married, but if I were single and dating, it would depend on the reason for the divorce, the relationship between the ex/potential bf/children, how much child support he was having to pay, and his attitude toward the divorce.
    A huge red flag to me would be a man who did not acknowledge the part HE played in the divorce, the lessons he had learned from it, and the what he would work on personally as a result of it. A person who can't own up to their own shortcomings and learn from their mistakes is just destined to repeat them.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    No.

Um, sorry. When my first husband threatened to beat me and repeatedly abused our dogs, I was out. I'm not sticking around to fix THAT.
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    certainly, I had a long term relationship where we lived together and its fairly similar and my husband didn't hold it against me. And to the op who believes marriage must be till death I am curious if that includes cheating or abuse of you or your children? Or maybe you would just tamper with their brakes rather than divorce:ohwell: because sometimes staying is far worse than leaving.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Curious to your opinion on this one. It seems to be the elephant in the room when it comes to dating.

Done that, been there, twice, and thought to myself how is this any different then having a long term girlfriend...told myself it wasn't a big deal...I don't think I'd ever do it again.

The first one lied and cheated. I never even expected it, but I knew something was wrong, so I wasn't dreadfully surprised or upset, just disappointed in myself really. It was only a few month thing.

The second one I thought was the one. I would have jump over the moon for him. He stomped all over my grave before I was in it and walked away leaving me in a hole never to be seen again. That's the short story anyway. No idea what went wrong. Worst story of my life, I'll never be the same.

Now the words divorced send flashing lights and sirens and panic, and running and pitty and hurt and heart break and mostly running.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If I were single. Absolutely everyone deserves to be happy
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    At age 21, no, because to me you shouldn't be married at this age, let alone divorced. But when I'm older, totally.