MFP Meanies :(

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    Announcement (because I'm sure you all care) this will be my last comment on this post as I have other things to do right now:

This thread is HILARIOUS. For so many reasons. One: The OP is long gone from this thread and now it's just us a-holes battling it out. Nice.

Two: We're all mean, ok. Every last one of us. I'm mean, you're mean, my mom's mean, my dog's mean, sometimes my 5 year old is mean. Whatever. Get over it. If you can't deal with somebody being a *kitten* to you, life is gonna be pretty rough.

Three: This post is pages and pages and pages of "you're meaner than I am!" "Nuh-uh, you're meaner!" I'm almost embarrassed to have engaged in this whole thing for so long....but hey, I'm not perfect, and I like a good argument just as much as the next person.

Bottom line: (And I'm directing this at myself as well) GROW THE *kitten* UP. Get some thicker skin. Stop giving a *kitten* if somebody says something rude. If you don't like what they have to say, then don't listen to them! Chances are you wouldn't be friends with that person in real life, so why does it matter on the internet? I know it sure doesn't matter to me. Some people are fake on the internet, some people are fake in real life too. Some people are rude on the internet, and some people are rude in real life too. Be authentic, and people like you will notice, and those are the people you can call your friends. Everyone else? They can go on about their lives. The end.

captain obvious!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: (And I'm directing this at myself as well) GROW THE *kitten* UP. Get some thicker skin. Stop giving a *kitten* if somebody says something rude. If you don't like what they have to say, then don't listen to them! Chances are you wouldn't be friends with that person in real life, so why does it matter on the internet?
    I am like you in many ways. I have thick skin, and I can easily let things roll off my back, especially on the internet. But something I've learned in my 44 years, is that not everyone is like that. People commit suicide because they care what people think, say, and write on the internet. It's not okay to just say, "suck it up, buttercup" anymore. We don't know the stories of everyone here on MFP. I think it's a safe assumption that many suffer from low self-esteem, may have depression, or worse. In my opinion, it is not okay to just tell people to get a back bone. We should all show a little more compassion because we're human beings.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    I find it kinda funny that this is a thread about not wanting people to be mean... and then all these mean people show up, being mean. :huh:

And what is funnier, the people claiming they are nice people being mean people. Not you. Others.

i sure didn't, im giving you what you are dishing out.
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Hey....I'm sorry if someone made fun of you. 99% of people are here on wonderful. Please don't leave, just ignore those people and do this for you. Send me a friend request if you like:flowerforyou:

^^This!!!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    sorry the world isn't always rainbows and butterflies. thats life

Yup

I never understood why people want to look like cocky pricks instead of offering help. If you have nothing to really offer in a thread, why bother posting?
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between standing up for yourself when someone is is attacking you personally and attacking them because you don't like what they have to say.

That being said:

I do think that you were worried when you asked your first question. I have serious issues when I'm on mine, so I totally understand. BUT, being a strong and intelligent woman, I'm sure that the second you posted you realized that with proper precautions you can go about your normal routine no matter what day of the month it is.

Alot of people troll on this site, but a lot of people also enjoy a good joke. Some people might have thought that you were joking. On this thread...I'm thinking people are getting all wound up on being called a bully when they are just using their brand of humor that other people may or may not get.

If you don't like certain people's brand of humor, I suggest that you stay away from most of the message boards, or be careful before you read them. It's the Internet people...it's an unlawful place where people have the right to say (or type) whatever they want. If you want to type something...be prepared for people to not like it. And be prepared for people to make fun of it.

Take things with a grain of salt....and cookie dough.

*Bows and steps off of her soap box*
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I find it kinda funny that this is a thread about not wanting people to be mean... and then all these mean people show up, being mean. :huh:
    You can always count on someone calling you "mean" if you stick up for someone who is being talked to like crap. "Being mean" to a bully is NOT the same thing as a bully picking on someone just for the sake of being mean. Good grief.

I hope you don't think my post was directed at you. It really wasn't directed at any one person at all.
    This whole "If you are call out a bully, you are a bully too!" canard reminds me of people who fight intolerance being called out for being "intolerant of intolerance". It's just spin and obfuscation.

You like being mean? Expect retaliation. Demand that people to have a thick skin? Grow one yourself. Don't like being called a bully? Don't be one.

It's a truism that those that bully are really weak and reach out to get others before someone gets them. That's why their whining is cacophonous when they are called out. If I could do adolescence over, I would have laid out several bullies in my life instead of turning the other cheek. Their power comes only when we refuse to fight back.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Had I "smoked a bowl" I would have seen 11 pages and moved on, deciding it was too much effort.

But I appreciate you "adding substance" by accusing a person you have no clue about of smoking pot. Should I start the "slow clap" for your accomplishment? Did I make any rash generalizations about your lifestyle? Nope.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Yup

I never understood why people want to look like cocky pricks instead of offering help. If you have nothing to really offer in a thread, why bother posting?

probably bored at work, or unemployed.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. Internet or not, mean people suck. There is nothing helpful or productive that comes from being mean. Ultimately I try to remember that their attitude is more about them and where they are in life than it is about me, but that's not always easy to do. Keep your chin up! There will always be mean people, but there are just as many patient, caring, nice ones (maybe even more!). Focus your time and energy on the people/comments that lift you up rather than those that pull you down. :flowerforyou:
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

your buttons just haven't been pressed yet.

actually they have and its called have a backbone and MOVE ON.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this mindset at all. If a few strangers posting funny/sarcastic comments on the world wide web hurts you so deeply, I wonder how you manage to get through your daily life. I see this as a result of the entitlement attitude, where people seem to think they are entitled to be treated like a princess and coddled no matter how ridiculous they are being. The world is not a kind place, you can either learn to deal and stop moaning or continue to expect that people will be psychic and know what offends you and change the environment so that the world revolves around you. Except the world does not revolve around you, nor should it.

You cannot control other people's behaviour, you can only control your own. You are fully in control of how you react to things and choose to whine and complain about all the "jerks", call people who disagree with you mentally inferior or jealous, or go running to the mods and cry about what a special flower you are and how the universe is against you.

This isn't kindergarten. Surely you people know how to solve your problems without looking for validation, tattling, and being passive aggressive by posting these sorts of threads. Surely you are provided with the gift of insight. wherein you recognize that this type of whining is precisely the behaviour that you are complaining about. Surely you recognize that you are being patently ridiculous in demanding that the entire site and it's population cater to your demands.

I'm sorry that some of you had parents who apparently didn't prepare you for the realities of adult life, it surely won't be easy to get through life day after day.
    You've got it wrong. People on the Internet particularly feel that they are entitled to be mean. They are cowards that hide behind anonymity. Well, unless you are mean in real life too. If so, I commend you for your consistency of character.

I disagree. I would say the same thing to your face. And you are making the errors that I mentioned above, complaining about others' behaviour instead of choosing a different way to react to it. Concluding that "it's all the people on the internet who are responsible for what's wrong in my life" instead of recognizing that you have unrealistic expectations.
    OK. I'll try to be nice then. I commend you for your consistency of character.

And there again is the difference. You choose to assume I have a character flaw for talking sense, whereas I really don't care what some random dude on the internet thinks of me and am secure in my sense of self. Keep going, you're a shining example of what I stated.
    I didn't say you have a character flaw. I paid you a compliment. Can you not accept one? Insecure much?

"ok I'll try to be nice then, I commend you on your consistency in character" is a backhanded compliment, we all know what you meant. I am not 5 years old, and therefore I see what you did there.

PS "insecure much?" is again, you assuming that I am flawed because I don't agree that people should be treated as special flowers on the interwebs.

Dang, I feel like a therapist.
    Oh darn. You got me. Man, you can't slip one past you, can you. Lesson learned.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    If you want something, get it, other people be dammed. There is not one person aside from myself on this planet that I could not live without. So I will make my time count by making ME happy.

In my opinion, that is a very sad and lonely way to look at life. Maybe you don't have anyone in your life right now that you couldn't live without, but honestly I do hope you have someone like that some day. :heart:

I have a great many people whom I love and care deeply for. But the world doesn't stop spinning and I don't fall over dead when I lose one. Its not sad in my opinion. It is realistic. I am not going to let my happiness be determined by the approval of others. If I have to be someone different for a person to like me, then it isn't really me they ever liked in the first place. So, you can keep your fake pity for someone who really needs it.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options

Yup

probably bored at work, or unemployed.

There are plenty of stupid threads for boredom on this site. They can rate the user above them and tell them what undies they wear. When someone has a legit question and someone just posts nonsense, it kinda makes them look like an *kitten*.
This discussion has been closed.