6 yr old taken to police station in handcuffs

Options

Replies

• VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this early intervention by school/police will stop her from becoming future job security for me... (I work in a jail). If it wasn't for children raised without structure/discipline, I'd be out of a job. (Not to say that that's the sole reason for criminality, but I guess about 1/3 of our clientele are where they are because they were never told no nor taught that they have to take responsibility for their actions...)

It's a sad situation for EVERYONE involved - esp. the child. There's something seriously wrong there, whether it's mental health issues or an effed up home...I hope she gets the proper help.
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    Wow! It sure is easy to pass judgement on other parents when you have never walked in their shoes. I am sure there is a lot more to this story than any of us know. I am teacher and a parent of a child with special needs. This child might have some type of disorder like Autism, aspergers etc. and cannot control her actions at that moment. Maybe I am wrong but it really angers me when people judge parents and don't truly understand what it is going on.

I am a believer in spanking, but I have a child with Aspergers Syndrom and believe me even a severe beating would not get him out of a tantrum.

I agree that if the school couldn't handle her, then they needed the police to intervene to protect the other children and staff and the child herself. I hope the parents can get the tools and resources they need to deal with their child and figure out what is going on.
  • MamaSonyaP
    MamaSonyaP Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Like it or lump it...I spank my kids.
    They are MY kids, so anyone can say, 'Oh, spanking your kids is wrong because it teaches them that hitting solves problems...' Well, they aren't YOUR kids!
    There is no criminal act for disciplining your children, by spanking. There is a line, of course, I don't abuse them. My kids know, they get a warning, and then a spank.

My husband, (a police officer), would agree that nowadays in the school systems, and even being a parent there's a huge taboo about discipline. And here's a point and fact...some kids NEED to know that doing that kind of stuff is unacceptable. Man, my kids would be in big trouble!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I think it's good they handcuffed her. Obviously she was a danger to herself and others and the handcuff prevented further destruction. It's sad that these days many parents don't really teach their children right from wrong and these thing have to happen. But I bet she will behave in school after that experience!
    Too many parents rely on the school systems to discipline their kids, well here ya go!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    There are so many excuses being made about the situation - Damn I must be old - I grew up in I am guilty until proven innocent era - lil town in Puerto Rico that if a child was getting disciplined (smacked) and anyone dared to say something they to were at risk of getting some discipline.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    WOW! I think the police did the correct thing in handcuffing the child to take her away. It was all about disarming a person in a dangerous situation.

I recognize that we do not know all the details, either of the child's upbringing,mental or physical history, preceding actions that caused her to cause such a sceen, etc. Based upon the information given in the report, it sounds like the 6 year old was placing the safety of the other students and the teacher in the classroom at risk. Later, while in the office, she also put the safety of the principal and other office workers at risk. While in the office, if her parents could not be reached, and she was not calming down (she was biting the door knob, and trying to break glass- it does not sound like she was calm) the next resort is to call the police. (Many schools are not funded well enough to have their own police force on campus, or they are present at the high school, not the elementary campus.) The police react based upon situation, not age. They go into a situation and diffuse it, hence the handcuffs, for her own safety as well as the safety of those who work in the school. And, if they have to take the child in the car to the station, based upon the scenario, then so be it. They were following protocol.
    Also, if the 6 year old had hurt another child in the classroom, that would have been horrible. Or the parents would have probably sued the school if the principal had physically restrained the child and hended up bruising her. The principal was operating within a set of guidelines to protect his/her campus and self.

Teachers and principals go to schools everyday to TEACH children, not be assaulted. Principals go to work every day to run the schools that teachers work in. Schools should be a safe environment. If putting a child in handcuffs to assure the safety of everyone else in the environment is warranted , then so be it. Especially if the child has been removed to a separate location (office) and still has not calmed down.

That said, I do truly hope that the child is able to see a counselor, psychiatrist, etc. to work on how to manage her emotions in the future. BUT, in the moment, I believe that sometimes simply getting a situation under control takes priority. It sounds like she was having more than a "moody day," and I hope the parents use this wake-up call to get their daughter the help it sounds like she needs ln order to prevent a similar tantrum in the future.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    If her parents spanked her, this wouldn't be a problem...

A wooden spoon speaks volumes.

^^^^THIS
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    If her parents spanked her, this wouldn't be a problem...

A wooden spoon speaks volumes.

^^^^THIS

or a chankla in my world as a kid!
  • offdutyguy
    Options
    Were the parents called? Calling the police seems extreme. Back in the good old days the paddle would have been broken out and maybe a little attitude adjustment would be in order. Seems like the Parents should have handled it to me. But I dont really know all the details. I think the Police have better things to do then dealing with a 6 yr. old.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When a child goes on that much of a rant especially in school there is definitely a problem with discipline at home.

I disagree with such a blanket statement. I do agree; however, there is a problem most likely at home.

I discipline my kids (including spanking when I feel is needed) but that doesn't force them to behave appropriately in all situations or to even make the right decisions when they should. Granted, they have never behaved in this manner. I'd probably be on the 10 o'clock news if they had! O_o

There can be many factors to a child acting out in this manner. Perhaps there is TOO much discipline in the home (e.g. abuse). There may also be something wrong medically or psychological with the child that needs to be addressed. I think the parent(s) and home enviroment of this child needs to be looked into and the school psychiatrist involved to get to the bottom of the outburst.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Were the parents called? Calling the police seems extreme. Back in the good old days the paddle would have been broken out and maybe a little attitude adjustment would be in order. Seems like the Parents should have handled it to me. But I dont really know all the details. I think the Police have better things to do then dealing with a 6 yr. old.

It said the school attempted to contact the mother 6 times before the police were called.

I feel if the child is in danger of hurting him or her self or others then the school had every right to contact the police to resolve the situation. Everyone is so sue happy these days any other action would have most definitely landed the school/principle with a lawsuit.
  • CarriLu123
    CarriLu123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    no way. a 6 year old doesn't understand things the way an adult does. you arrest the parents.

Arrest the parents? Really? Way to teach the kids they will be held responsible for their actions.....

its the parents responsibility to figure how to hold their children responsible. Again- kids don't have the mind capacity to understand the concept of being arrested. arresting a kid doesn't solve any problems.

You ask my 3 year old what cops do and she will tell you put bad guys in jail. I think by 6 if she was going to jail she would connect the dots. People underestimate children's intelligence.
  • hotcocoa8
    hotcocoa8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow! It sure is easy to pass judgement on other parents when you have never walked in their shoes. I am sure there is a lot more to this story than any of us know. I am teacher and a parent of a child with special needs. This child might have some type of disorder like Autism, aspergers etc. and cannot control her actions at that moment. Maybe I am wrong but it really angers me when people judge parents and don't truly understand what it is going on.

I am a believer in spanking, but I have a child with Aspergers Syndrom and believe me even a severe beating would not get him out of a tantrum.

I agree that if the school couldn't handle her, then they needed the police to intervene to protect the other children and staff and the child herself. I hope the parents can get the tools and resources they need to deal with their child and figure out what is going on.
    Oh no, this is to much like right, and that means common sense would have to prevail, or maybe even compassion for a little girl.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Some things that Haven't been brought up in almost 7 pages of replies...

this is the end of the school year. More than likely this is NOT the first time she has acted up. I expect there have been many many incidents that disrupt the class and school yard, take the teacher's attention away from teaching and other kids, etc.

Another point is what about the other kids in the class? Imagine being a parent of another child and hearing about this girl going bat **** crazy in the class and being led away in handcuffs. I'd guess the parents of the other kids are relieved that something drastic is finally being done. I'd bet those other kids were pretty terrified of her display and tantrum.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Surprise, surprise the parents are suing the school.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Damn cops! ;-) lol
  • kerriberry74
    kerriberry74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    "Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

I'm all for law enforcement "doing their job" the Nazis used the same excuse, true story

What I have a problem with is that stupid phrase overruling common sense. come on, 6? How strong is a 6yr. old that you can't detain her without handcuffs? :noway:
    [/quote]

You would be surprised at just how strong a kid in a tantrum can be. My friends 7 yr old is like this -he's on the autism spectrum- even when he's been on meds. He's punched holes in the walls, threw a toy through his window while in one of these types of rages. He went after a doctor who was trying to restrain him, also tried to kill my friend on more than a few occasions- tried to suffocate her at 5 yrs old, choked her on more than a few occasions, she also had mentioned something about a knife but I never got the whole story on that one.... Extremely scary kid.
  • interceptor311
    Options
    "Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

I'm all for law enforcement "doing their job" the Nazis used the same excuse, true story

What I have a problem with is that stupid phrase overruling common sense. come on, 6? How strong is a 6yr. old that you can't detain her without handcuffs? :noway:

So you want to transport an out of control, unrestrained person in a moving vehicle?
  • hitmewitdarock
    Options
    real winners in parenting in this story...
  • interceptor311
    Options

Oh, and thanks for comparing Police Policy and Procedures to that of the Third Reich! WTG

Police Policy is drafted from input from various police agencies as well as recommendations from federal agencies. Those polices are then voted on and approved then adopted by the local government of each municipality. Every step of the way, these policies are supported by the voting American public as part of the Democratically elected form of government. I'd call that a far far cry from the policies instituted by one Evil, maniacal dictator.

"here endeth the lesson"