40+ Club - Summertime Fun

Options

Replies

• StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    Morning!

singfree, gin and tonics with hot dogs?????? Yeah, I don't think I'd be feeling too well either. :laugh: But glad you had a good time. And I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:

Welcome zebras!! Congratulations on your weight loss so far. Please ask any questions you may have. And best of luck in your continued journey towards improved health!

Good to see you back, aprilvet! Your trip to Europe sounds great. I echo what singfree has said, though, about possibly stationing yourself in fewer places and taking day trips. Places like Salzburg and Chiemsee are so close together that it might actually be more hassle to change hotels than it is worth....unless you are specifically looking forward to staying at a certain hotel or location. I just know when I travel and change hotels quite a bit, I feel so much of the day gets eaten up with checking-in, checking-out, packing the car, etc. When given the chance, prefer to keep such days at a minimum. But I don't think you are trying to see too much in the period of time you have.

All here is going well. I'm going to be doing a shoulder/tricep/bicep workout this morning. As I said the other day, my forearm has been kind of tender lately, so I'm hoping I make it through without too much difficulty. I've been feeling a bit more tired this week, but I think that has more to do with the continued gloomy weather in this part of LA than it has to do with anything else. Once the sun comes out in the afternoons, I feel much better. But the mornings are tough! I want summer!!: grumble:

I hope everybody has a great day. :drinker:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Aprilvet - enjoy your trip..... I'll be with you in spirit - I'd LOVE to go back to Germany!!! Enjoy a fresh, warm, crunchy outside, soft inside brotchen somewhere for me......yum!!! I really miss brotchen!!

A couple of the weekend pounds must really have been water weight, because the scale's back to that 129 freeze zone:grumble: :grumble: I swear those last 10 pounds are NEVER going to go away!!! Curves last night was good - Performance Index was decreased (who knows why - I don't always understand that part of it) but I increased on 10 machines and burned 441 calories - yeah me! :happy: :happy:

Definitely NOT going to be packing any bikinis for vacation next week :ohwell: :ohwell: , but......I'm still going to enjoy every minute of it!! I love Lake of the Ozarks - it is so beautiful and relaxing to be on the water all day. Gonna try to get some early morning workouts in; I read that the condo complex does have a fitness room, so I can hit an ellipitical or treadmill if nothing else. It's too hot and humid to do any outside workouts in the afternoon or evening. If I don't get in any workouts, I refuse to feel guilty :laugh: :laugh: because........we'll be at the lake!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! Beautiful weather here in the Philly area! Got an opportunity to go to the Phillies game last night- great seats- 1st 2 rows next to 3rd base. Lots of fun! Sorry for any Reds fans out there!

Sing- I'm with Stiring-- G & T with hot dogs??????:sick:

Thanks for the travel advice- I'll pm you for more details!

Trying to balance good eating with some yummy summer favoties- strawberry daiquiries made with fresh strawberries!:love: I like to smoke pork shoulder (originally from Memphis), too- but not with the daiquiris!:laugh:

I have to say that keeping up with the exercise has really helped me not lose too much ground when I over-indulge! I'm still doing P90X- round 2- and trying to run 4-5 days a week. However, I find it much harder in my runs in the heat.

zebras- welcome to the group! We're here to help any time!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone!

Yes, April, it is a beautiful day here in PA. I just got back from a 35+ mile ride. I am beat...I only had 24 oz of water with me and no food. I haven't been to Citizen's Bank Park yet, it looks really nice. How about a G & T with smoked pork shoulder? Nah, Yuengling sounds better. :drinker: We have a BBQ place nearby with a pink "smoker" pig outside (her name is Penelope). It's really funny when smoke is coming from her "tail". :laugh:

mk, your vacation sounds wonderful. Go on, take the bikini!!

Stiring, watch your form doing bicep curls, or lighten it up a bit until the tenderness subsides. What's with the LA weather?? Usually you're sweltering out there. Alf & Tex, could you please send some heat to southern CA??
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    In the river tonight, we all pushed the heat towards CA. Hope you get it!

It rained on Monday and was actually a little cool in river Monday night. It is such a fun bunch of people who do the river. There is a bride (getting married on the 18th) with her mom, her future mother-in-law and two future sisters-in-law. They are a hoot together. One guy and I have been doing the river for the past four years. We got back our good 17 year old instructor tonight so more laps against the current.

All these traveling plans gives me wanderlust... We go to Austin for the weekend to start moving our son home for six weeks before going out to graduate school in San Francisco in September. I think we will take in a cave on Saturday afternoon since the temp is supposed to be over 100.

Have been eating out at lunch this week (work related). Hard to keep the sodium levels down. I think next thing I tackle is the high fructose corn syrup.

Tomorrow is Friday, so open toed sandal rebellion day! Sing, I am not wearing the pink polka dots ones this time.

Take care all! Texssippian
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Happy Friday! Not too much to report this week. Eating was ok, except for hot dogs and G & T. :drinker: Try it, you'll like it...actually I am partial to Gin & Bitter Lemon. Not as much strength training but a lot more biking. Since Sunday I already have nearly 100 miles ridden!

We are leaving in a few hours for Arlington, VA (across the Patomic River from DC) to visit friends for the weekend. I might not get a chance to check in until Sunday evening.

Tex, I would love to do the river sometime, it sounds great!

Alf, are you still here? We miss you a lot!

Have a great weekend!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday - I'm BACK!!!!!!! 12 days, over 4100 miles and 76+ hours in the car and our family vacation has finally come to an end. We had a great trip and now it is back to life as normal. I did weigh in this morning just to see what the damage was --- 6 lb gain but since the last 2 days were spent in the car with little or no movement and limited hydration (just didn't want to be stopping too much) I'm not overly concerned. I hope all have been well and enjoying life.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Happy Friday - I'm BACK!!!!!!! 12 days, over 4100 miles and 76+ hours in the car and our family vacation has finally come to an end. We had a great trip and now it is back to life as normal. I did weigh in this morning just to see what the damage was --- 6 lb gain but since the last 2 days were spent in the car with little or no movement and limited hydration (just didn't want to be stopping too much) I'm not overly concerned. I hope all have been well and enjoying life.

Welcome back Duffyzmom....... and Happy Friday to you too!
    You're just returning from vacation and I'm getting close to mine - next Friday we pull the boat 350 miles to beautiful Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri!:bigsmile: Can't wait - 90 mile long lake, beautiful wooded shorelines, and best of all..........no bugs!!! I guess it's because there's always wave action on the lake, so the skeeters can't hatch! :laugh: :laugh: It's going to be hard to eat healthy with all those restaurants on the water and those margaritas calling when we get back to the condo:laugh: , but I'll do the best I can. I intend to walk or hit the fitness complex at the condo every morning....can't give up all good things for vacation:laugh: :laugh: Will even try to drag the hubby along with me, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be :grumble: :grumble:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    duffy, welcome back!! I'm happy to hear you had a good trip. You certainly covered some miles! I'm sure much/all of that weight gain will get lost with some good water and return to your normal routine.

mkwood, your trip sounds great! I love that part of the country.

Thanks, all, for sending warm weather thoughts my way! It's crazy that parts of this country are absolutely sweltering, yet we had the coldest June on record in LA!! They keep predicting warmer temperatures (and I think parts of the city will get those temps this weekend), but near the coast where I live, we are lucky if we get up to 70 degrees during the day right now. I mean, we don't have AC and have been sleeping with the window closed at night! How crazy is that for July? :grumble:

singfree, I'll just have to take your word for it that G&T and hot dogs are good together! :laugh: Actually, hot dogs are the only food I've ever had that gives me headaches, so I don't eat them. But even if I did, I'm not so sure I'd pair them up with gin!

And thanks for the tip on my forearm. You nailed the cause.....my form during bicep curls. I injured it about 8 years ago lifting weights and every now and again it flares up again. It has been bothering me on and off for the past seven weeks during this last STS cycle. It was really bothering on Wednesday night when I was cooking dinner, so I thought yesterday's workout was going to be iffy at best. But I had no issues whatsoever. Go figure. One more week of STS, though, and then I will give it a little break from the heavier weights.

I had a good eating/fitness week. I lost a little weight this week (a pound), so I'm thinking about taking alf's approach and just not counting calories for a little while to see if that makes any difference. I won't change my eating habits, but I do wiggle with my diet every now and again when I think I might be eating a bit too much based on calories counts. If I weren't counting, I'd probably eat those calories without a second thought and not gain, so I'm thinking that may be my best solution right now. I'm definitely eating plenty on most days, but if I weren't counting calories, I think I would be inclined to eat more on the days when I'm particularly hungry (like yesterday) than I am right now when I'm counting calories. Maybe I need to start listening to my body and stop looking at the numbers so much!!

Hope everybody has a great weekend! For those in places exceptionally warm, stay cool. :drinker:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    sing..there is a guy where I work who has lost quite a bit of weight. I asked him what his secret is and he said that he has cut out all junk food except for his G&T. So, I would consider that diet food.:laugh:

I did a core exercise class on Monday and my abs are still sore. Do you think this is normal? It isn't like I don't work my muscles. I have been using the weight machines for months. My Zumba class is going well. I burn about 300 calories in an hour twice a week.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Swiss, there you are!!!! You look great!! Are you still doing Zumba in your socks? How is that going? Any foot pain? If the core class was your first one I can understand being sore. Sometimes in any new class you hit different muscles that you normally dont exercise so you usually get sore. It should subside in a couple of days. There is a plank challenge going on and I am a little sore because, you know me I love a challenge, I held mine for 2:10sec. Yesterday I was able to hold it for 2:31.

I don't know what it is with me and social gatherings. I have no will power when it comes to that. And I know I am not the only one. I hear it all the time. What is it?? Stiring, I need to take you with me to every gathering I go to. :laugh: :laugh: Are there any motivational books out there that could help switch that mentality? My sister in law is on her way to Virginia to the DEA Academy. So she had a little gathering at her house to wish her farewell. I told myself, no drinking and just select healthy options to eat and that is it. Well, first of all, there were no healthy options, really. I had three drinks, different drinks. And I snacked away on chips and salsa, pita chips and spinach dip, ate enchilada, rice, tostadas, crab dip, cheesecake, pineapple upside down cake!!!!! :noway: :noway: :noway: What in the world is that????????? I need an intervention! :laugh: No, seriously. :explode:

Duffy, glad to hear from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was asking about you on the ChaLeaners thread. Glad you had a great trip. Hope to hear from you soon.

Mkwood, have a great time at the lake!! It sounds beautiful and so much fun.

Ok, gotta go workout. Today is my last lean circuit from the last phase of ChaLean. Next week I am starting her lean for life phase for another 30 days. In this one she combines circuits from the three phases. I am going to do this for another month and see what happens. Last night my brother said that my muscles are showing. :laugh:

Have a great weekend!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: alf, How about taking your own snacks? I keep low calorie snacks with me at work. People were looking at me strangely at first but now I have a co-worker doing the same. I never let more than two hours go by without eating something even if it is just a few grapes. Make sure that you have something in your stomach before going to these events. Drink lots of water to help fill your stomach, also.
    Yes, that is me, the second one from the left. I was 17 pounds heavier when that picture was taken. My husband is also in the pic alone with my girls that are still at home. Starting on the left..my 19 year old daughter, Elizabeth, then Keziah who is 17 and on the right is Lydia who is 15. Lydia is taller than Keziah and always will be. Keziah is so tiny that most people guess her to be about 12 years old.
  • cbuonantony
    Options
    Since I have joined the 40+ club I have been having a hard dropping weight....I am watching every single thing that goes in my mouth and I think Ive been doing a pretty good job of it....HOWEVER....I weighed myself on Friday morning when I got up and I weighed 211lbs.....When I started this on monday I weighed 215....So Im thinking FANTASTIC...But then yesterday I was at the doctor for my yearly physical and got on the scale there and it said I weighed 220lbs!!!!!...Now i realize that I was fully dressed and it was 10am in the morning...HOWEVER...how does that happen?....I wanted to go home and eat an entire plates of cookies i was soooooo upset.....I didnt....but I wanted too....So can anyone explain this to me...I refuse to stop it just hurt that the work I put in all week was for naught....I refuse to stop with my lifestyle change however it really gives a blow to the ego when you struggle not to eat this and eat something better and you show nothing for it...Thanks for everyones help!!

Carsen:laugh:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    mkwood: You'll have a great trip I am sure! All the hiking we did just made me feel a little better about the drinks with dinner :wink:

Stiring: You are still losing? WoW! You may have really changed your metabolism with that STS. I'd agree to trying the no counting approach for a little while.

Swiss: Love seeing your family!

Alf: Yes, 2 weeks is a long time to be gone. I'll be starting CX for real on Monday! This weekend I'm actually playing with the schedule so that it fits around my half-marathon training. Plus, I need to tweak the ab work-out schedule because I do much better with abs (my worst area) if I do them at least 4 or more times a week.

cbuonantony: I only compare dr scale to last visit to dr not what I'm doing at home. That way it doesn't affect you emotionally. I know exactly how you feel. I tend to be the same way that is why lately I've been weighing myself less often. Once a week or less. If I know that I've been doing well (let's say eating right 90% of the time and getting my workouts in) I may not weigh myself for several weeks. But if I know I'm not, then definitely once a week.

Have a great weekend. I'm restocking the shelfs and doing laundry.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    cbuonantony, don't give up!! About the different weights, scales are different, and they are going to measure you differently. And, as you mentioned, you were clothed and I'm going to presume you ate or drank something before you were weighed in. That can easily (easily!!) account for the difference in weight. The important thing is to pay attention to how you weigh yourself, and make sure you weigh yourself in the same conditions (time of day, etc) each time you weigh yourself so you get the best assessment of how you are doing. As duffy said, compare doctor visit to doctor visit, but not to your home weight and such. Only compare your home weight to your home weight and keep the routine the same. Personally, I don't pay any attention to the amount I weigh when I weigh myself out of my routine. It matters not one iota to me because I recognize those situations as complete anomalies.

Swissmiss, thank you for introducing us to your family! You look beautiful! About the sore abs, as alf said, if you did something different, you could still be sore a few days later. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is the dull ache kind of soreness and not any shooting pains and such.

alf, you're doing the plank challenge?? Good for you!!! I've thought about joining in, but I'm a little afraid to figure out how long I can hold a plank. I know it is over a minute because I tested that yesterday. :blushing: But 2:30?!? I'm not so sure I could go close to that long. But you've got me thinking about trying!!! :laugh:

And, quite honestly, I wouldn't worry about what you do in social situations. If you ate like that every single day, that might be a problem. But every couple of weeks or so.....just go and enjoy. Frankly, I wish I could let myself go just a little bit more than what I do in those situations.

I'll admit that I'm going through a rough patch right now. I think it started with my husband telling me that he doesn't have full faith that I'll keep the weight off (which happened a couple of weeks ago when I told him I was going to get rid of my bigger clothes). Like I said before, that hurt. Well, as of this morning, I am only 1/10 of a pound above my underweight BMI category, and that has me concerned. I keep trying to eat more. But take last night. My husband is away, but I told him over the phone that I'd eaten alot yesterday (which I did, but it was all healthy.....except for the big glass of wine!) because I'm concerned about my weight. And his response was 'Well, you can afford to do a little of that I suppose'. He has told me outright that he doesn't think I should ever weigh over 110 again. So, in other words, I'm feeling some pressure right now to stay this thin (and this from a man who NEVER said anything negative to me about my weight when I was much bigger, so it's a little surprising to me right now). While on one hand I appreciate the incentive not to return to my old habits, on the other hand I also don't want to be thinking that if I eat a cookie, my husband is going to be thinking 'There she goes again!' It is kind of strange because I didn't think twice about losing the weight regardless of how my husband felt about it. Why should I care if he doesn't agree that it would be best if I were to gain back about five pounds? Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated right now.

I'm not working out today. :drinker: But I must go clean the house. :sad: I hope everybody has a great day and enjoys their weekend.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Carsen, do not think that you have gained. The same thing happens to me at the doctor's office. Just weigh yourself on the same scale only. The best way to weigh is in the morning after you use the restroom and before you eat. Wear the same clothes every time. This way you will get a more accurate reading.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I am thinking of having a New York strip steak for dinner tonight. I have been a good girl and think that maybe I deserve one. I know that it will effect my weight lose for a few days but then all will be well by Tuesday.:laugh:
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Stiring:

I'm having similar worries with my husband. He never seemed to mind my bigness, but now that my shape has improved he gets fixated on what my scale says or talks about what I would look like at a particular weight. And to contradict that, he will be me an inappropriate snack when he's out.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: stiring..it may be just that your husband likes the new you so much. Why is it that we put so much emphasis on what our men think????

By the way...what is "plank"?
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I missed reporting day again (Friday) because work has been crazy. But my weight is holding steady, which is better than gaining, so I'm okay with it. Talked to the trainer about my little increase, and he has switched up my program (stuff I do on my own) so that I'm doing push ups and lat pulldowns, and some sort of arms exercise standing on a bosu ball and pulling weights. aye yi yi. He told me not to give up hope, heh. I think he's trying to see what it'll take to get me to quit. Anyway, still doing a cardio workout of 12 minutes on the stair machine, and 33 minutes on the AMT. Usually burn about 500 calorie in that time and can work it in 4 times a week. Hopefully, the weight will start to move downward again.

The plyometrics we've been doing in the training sessions is HARD! I mean, I've been able to do the jumping box squats okay, but he's increasing the reps, and on Monday, I slipped (tired) and scraped my left shin pretty good. Now I have street cred , I guess. All the jumping we're doing really makes me sooo tired, but it also makes me want to do better, so...hopefully, I'll keep pushing myself. Some days, though, I just want to get it over with and head home to some coffee.:laugh:

Stiring, I'm not certain why your husband is thinking along these lines, but I think the only thing you can do is be confident in yourself and your achievements. You are more than your weight, and have such value beyond that! His issues are his, and try not to let them affect you. Is there anyway you could have a discussion with him about how it makes you feel when he says these things? Maybe he's not aware of how it makes you feel, or doesn't intend to make you feel bad. On the other hand, seeing your success, maybe he's trying (subconsciously) to exert a little bit of "power" over you by unsettling you. I don't know, but when the balance in a marriage is upset by something, be it a job change, or success at losing weight, or reaching a goal, there is a tendancy of the other party to try and re-establish the status quo.

On the other hand, I could just be talking out of my hat. I am sorry that his comments are disturbing you so much. We here all support you!