I am annoyed with the anti-lady-muscle posts.

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Rae, I want to look like you! :love: In fact , I solicited you for ad vice! :bigsmile:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Yay for being strong AND beautiful! :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    So stop it. Thanks.
    So because you have a preference for your body to be one way, no one is allowed to express their preference for something else?
    There's a difference between expressing a preference for something else like an adult, and saying "Eww, that's gross/ugly/ you looka lika man."

Well, I can say, I have not seen posts that say that, but agree that is obnoxious if it's happening. The posts I've seen have been more to the, "Not the look I'm going for," type replies.

In this thread, a woman was called masculine. How is that even close to okay? If someone called me masculine, they damn well had better have a banging body or I'm calling them soft. Since the only difference between what people call "masculine" and "feminine" is body fat %. Hell, soft would probably be the nicest thing I would say.

You can say whatever you want about me, since I used the word masculine. I never said it was unattractive or manly. And I also made it very clear that my body by comparison is subpar. I have a preference about the look I'm going for...it's no the same as some people on here, and that's quite OK.

Having a different goal is completely fine. Posting disparaging remarks on someone's physique is not. That's like if someone posted that they were at their goal and I said "while I respect the work it took to get there, my goal is to get leaner than you because your body fat percent looks bulky." it's a back handed compliment and just not okay.

Also, there is no difference between saying someones muscles look masculine and they look masculine. Her muscles are her body, and I wish I were at a point where that were true of me... But alas, I've still got some body fat to get rid of :)
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Dude...I AM fat. That's why I am here on this site every day trying to regain my health. I don't post pictures of myself b/c I honestly have nothing to be proud of, and also because I'm at work and I can't.

I apologize for the way that comment made some of you feel, but I know how I meant it, which was not malicious, and I can't take it back. I've also been instructed that it's pointless to defend it. So I won't.

Everyone here is hotttt....
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    "Women are meant to be soft!"

This one annoys me the most. Why can't we redefine what women are "meant" to look like? Why do we have to appear weak? We can go to college now, have jobs, pay bills, but we can't be strong? We can't open our own jars of pickles, or pick up 50lb 6 year olds, swing 20lb sledge hammers as a seismic source, load full coolers into trucks, or fill out the *kitten* in a pair of work trousers?

Mmmmm pickles.

I agree that women aren't meant to be anything. Women are meant to be whatever the hell they want to be. But I think it's ok for people to want different things. I think everyone needs to define it for themselves. And fine to say, "not what I'm going for" but I think both sides are guilty of telling others their way is better/right.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    fitness1.jpg

uhm can i look like this please?!
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    My boyfriend commented on my back muscles while we were busy in bed. While I'm proud in other situations, that one was a bit of a mood killer.

LMAO!!!!!!!bahahahahahahahahahaha:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

This one annoys me the most. Why can't we redefine what women are "meant" to look like? Why do we have to appear weak? We can go to college now, have jobs, pay bills, but we can't be strong? We can't open our own jars of pickles, or pick up 50lb 6 year olds, swing 20lb sledge hammers as a seismic source, load full coolers into trucks, or fill out the *kitten* in a pair of work trousers?

I have no clue why, but even after months of lifting I can not open a jar... What lifts can I do to be able to independently open a damn jar? Lol I feel ridiculous because half the time I closed it and I still can't open it!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Mmmmm pickles.

I agree that women aren't meant to be anything. Women are meant to be whatever the hell they want to be. But I think it's ok for people to want different things. I think everyone needs to define it for themselves. And fine to say, "not what I'm going for" but I think both sides are guilty of telling others their way is better/right.

Confession: I can dead lift my body weight. Bench press 100 pounds. It's still pretty hard to open the damn pickles.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    You can say whatever you want about me, since I used the word masculine. I never said it was unattractive or manly. And I also made it very clear that my body by comparison is subpar. I have a preference about the look I'm going for...it's no the same as some people on here, and that's quite OK.

FYI: Masculine means 'manly', so yes, you called her manly.

FYI: if you want to argue symantics, masculine actually means describing attributes that are typically attributed to males. Since muscles historically are attributed to being more prevalent in males, they are generally thought of as masculine. It doesn't mean they are ugly or ill-fitting on women. It simply means they are seen more regularly on males.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you want "lady muscles" go ahead and work on them, that's your business. Personally I want bad-@$$, kick some manly-man's butt muscles, but that's just me.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I go from a hard to soft look within days even at 16%-17% bf. People need to understand just how friggen hard it is for women to build muscle, get that cut and show it while manipulating water weight and even then it takes certain posing/flexing in the pictures shown in mags and figure competitions.

All the people who are "anti muscle" will never understand how exhilarating it is to challenge yourself as a woman to push yourself out of your genetic set point, get stronger and be leaner but that truly is their choice and preference. This is NOT an easy task for most people who don't have the genes for it. It's a passion and a hobby of mine to do so, whether people think it's hot or not. I do it for me, because it's friggen fun. :) Reps for my heavy lifting determined ladies who don't get drowned in the haterade, you can't please them all. :D
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

I know!! Are we supposed to uselessly sit around while our muscles atrophy as a natural consequence of age and inactivity, health be damned? Just to avoid appearing "too masculine." Eff that.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I have no clue why, but even after months of lifting I can not open a jar... What lifts can I do to be able to independently open a damn jar? Lol I feel ridiculous because half the time I closed it and I still can't open it!

You'll have to get those rock climber finger/hand trainer things... :P
  • wildcata77
    Options

Mmmmm pickles.

Confession: I can dead lift my body weight. Bench press 100 pounds. It's still pretty hard to open the damn pickles.

Confession: I can't dead lift anything and have a hard time swimming a mile, but my husband still hands me jars to open when he can't get them, LOL.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i did my homework and i had my first introduction to strength training today at the gym !!! i will get lady muscles !!!! and lose weight lol x

you all look amazing !! x
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options

You'll have to get those rock climber finger/hand trainer things... :P

Or knock a dent into the cap with the dull side of a knife to break the air tight seal. Then you can open it right up. Did that when I had no muscles and no strength all the time. Things are much better now, but I can still open a jar of pickles. One of my strongest assets. :happy:
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    some inspiration here - bump
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    So I really, really, reaaallly like the pictures of these fit women.......but now I am confused.......do you think I'm bi? Oops, sorry, that was a different thread.......teeheehee