Age Difference for dating?

Options
Im_NotPerfect
Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
A post on the booty call thread got me thinking about this...what is your maximum age difference for dating?

My husband and I are 8 years apart (currently 9 since he just turned 43 and I'll be 35 in a month and a half).

I was 22 and he was 30 when we started dating.

Edited to add: We've never really noticed the age difference (unless our friends and his family teased him about robbing the cradle). But we both have the same pop culture references from the 80's. I do tease him once in a while about when he was in HS, I was still in elementry school! HA! I guess I've always just been more mature for my age because I'd NEVER dated guys my own age (couldn't stand them) and my dad always told me that when I settled down it would be with an older guy.

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    My fiance's 25 years my senior. I'm 21 (22 in July) and he's 47.
  • CeliCasi
    CeliCasi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have a 17yr difference between us.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is 42 and I'm 53 :bigsmile: We've been dating for 4 years :love:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Whoa! Really? How does that works with friends? What did the families have to say about it? Just curious. The age thing freaks me out. I thought I was more open minded, but recently, when faced with it, realized that anymore than maybe ten years might be too much.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is 23 and I'm 19.

I think as you get older the age gap can widen. I don't think there should be a limit. However, I'd avoid dating someone significantly older than me because I dont want to die years before them lol.
  • Charismasme2
    Charismasme2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting question as three years ago I found myself single after 25yrs of marriage, and entering the dating scene. Because I have kids that are in their 20's and 30's, I couldn't date men that were in their age brackets. One thing I wouldn't have anything in common on a daily basis with them, so I decided that three years younger or 5yrs older than me was acceptable for me. I'll turn 50 in Nov.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    10 years is probably my max. I come from a long line of courgars, though, so who knows. My grandma is 20 years older than my step-grandpa and my mom is 26 years older than her boyfriend.

men don't live long enough, my great-grandma used to say. "they're like delicate flowers, not long for this earth. only us weeds stick around." she outlived two husbands.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There's a formula, for guys...

Half of his age + 7 = minimum age of the girl he can date ;-)

It's a little more tricky to determine the minimum age guy, a girl can date...
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I say 10 years. My sister..my 17 yr old sister ( 18 in 3 weeks) is dating a guy who is 29... I disapprove of that because she hasn't lived yet. I would not approve of my daughter dating someone at that age that much older. If she was in her 20's yea, I could approve. But not 17.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    A post on the booty call thread got me thinking about this...what is your maximum age difference for dating?

My husband and I are 8 years apart (currently 9 since he just turned 43 and I'll be 35 in a month and a half).

I was 22 and he was 30 when we started dating. Yes...he was considered a God at our workplace when people found out! :)

Half the age of the older person + 7 is the rule.

So you guys just fitted into it when you met...
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Whoa! Really? How does that works with friends? What did the families have to say about it? Just curious. The age thing freaks me out. I thought I was more open minded, but recently, when faced with it, realized that anymore than maybe ten years might be too much.

My friends and have always known I wasn't into the "norm" so they weren't really surprised. He's not your typical 47 year old though, he's a lot of fun, and my friends love him. The family on the other hand... I lied a few times about his age until they finally just flat out said, "How old is he REALLY?" After a few times my parents no longer cared, even though he's 2 years OLDER than they are. lol. And his family was cool with it as he's never dated girls his age since he was out of his 20s.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    I follow the "Divide by 2 and add 7" rule. So for my age, 22, the youngest I could date without feeling sketchy is 18 (22/2 = 11 + 7 =18). To find the oldest, do the opposite (22-7 = 15*2 = 30). It's an interesting formula for sure and I have quite a few friends who skirt the line but are plenty happy. Personally, I'm 6 months older than my fiance, which I believe is about how much older his mom is than his dad.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My wife is 31, I'm 46.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've dated someone 15 years older than me, 8-9 years and it seemed to work fine, but in the end it was personality differences that really caused the collapse of those relationships. My current boyfriend is about 3 years older than me and I think it's a really good gap - we both want the same things and are in the same place in our lives.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    men don't live long enough, my great-grandma used to say. "they're like delicate flowers, not long for this earth. only us weeds stick around." she outlived two husbands.

That's some real wisdom. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend of a year and a half is 7 years older than me (I'm 25, he's 32). I don't really care or notice. I actually prefer it, I wasn't really hitting it off with guys closer to my age, I'm somewhat mature for a 25 year old (steady job, I own a condo, I don't party). I don't know if I'd go much older though. I like that he's still somewhat in my generation and we don't look that far apart in age.
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There's only a year between me and the missus but it's a year that's kept us together for 4.5 years.

Previous relationships have been with older women and they didn't work out, so looks like I should've been the oldest in the relationship and not the other way round.

Biggest age gap I've had was when I was 22 and seeing a lady who was 40!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    At 45, I wouldn't want to go too many years backwards...maybe 5, maximum. I probably wouldn't want to go more then 10 years older.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    There's a formula, for guys...

Half of his age + 7 = minimum age of the girl he can date ;-)

It's a little more tricky to determine the minimum age guy, a girl can date...

This is what I've heard...
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    10 years older is my limit. I'm 25