Age Difference for dating?

Options

Replies

• mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I am 22...I have this 8-10 year limit (I think) for me. So 22-32ish... But then over 30 might be pushing it, because of the mindset. I take maturity level of myself and the guy into consideration.
  • jeniley65
    jeniley65 Posts: 35
    Options
    I don't know that it matters to me. Age itself doesn't come into question but rather maturity and how well we get along or get each other. I suppose I am not really looking for something forever which might affect that as well.
    So long as we are mentally, emotionally and physically in synch it is fun and rewarding.
  • hersheythecat
    hersheythecat Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My ex husband was 16 years older than me and when I was in my 20's it was fine because he acted young but once I got older and more responsibilities needed to be taken care of, I wished he would have acted his age. A 32 year old woman should not be more responsible than a 48 year old man.

My current bf is 14 years older than me and we seem to work just fine.

Ohh and I've never really dated anyone my age. When I was 18, I went out with a 33 year old.
  • AlyiEli2017
    AlyiEli2017 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am 27 my boyfriend is 22. I think to each ots own. Its all about how mature you are.
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    A post on the booty call thread got me thinking about this...what is your maximum age difference for dating?

My husband and I are 8 years apart (currently 9 since he just turned 43 and I'll be 35 in a month and a half).

I was 22 and he was 30 when we started dating.

Edited to add: We've never really noticed the age difference (unless our friends and his family teased him about robbing the cradle). But we both have the same pop culture references from the 80's. I do tease him once in a while about when he was in HS, I was still in elementry school! HA! I guess I've always just been more mature for my age because I'd NEVER dated guys my own age (couldn't stand them) and my dad always told me that when I settled down it would be with an older guy.

This is just like me n my guy, im 21 and he'll be 28 in a few weeks, But we never realize the age difference either. I like dating older b/c i am more mature for my age as well, i've tried doin it and it never worked out. So far me and him are working out great! :)
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Well my husband of 26 years and myself are 14 years and 2 months apart. He's the elder!! I feel that as long as it's a legal age and if people truly love each other then it's meant to be. Age is just a number.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    My current boyfriend and I are 12 years apart. He is 40, and I am 28 (he will be 41 in Nov, and I won't turn 29 until Jan). I am totally happy dating an older man - they are more mature and stable. He treats me like a queen. I am in the process of a divorce, and we were 2 yrs apart (my ex was 2 yrs older), but he didn't act like it at all. He had the mentality of a 5 yr old (and that is being nice). Age is just a number anyway.

On another note, my dad is married to my best friend; they are 13 yrs apart, and I have a friend who her and her husband are 13 yrs apart as well.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    10 years older is my limit. I'm 25
    Bla-dow! PM sent!
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    The problem I find with women I'd like to date is not that they're too young for me, but that I'm too old for THEM.... :grumble: :grumble:
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    im 45 and my husband is 56.. didn't notice the age difference in the begining.. but now it is an issue. he acts like he is 80.
    i would love to be with some one more active and fun ..
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    My fiance is 14 years younger than me. I'm 44 and he is 30. We've been together over three years now. Best relationship of my entire life! We are a perfect match. Age differences: I have dated up to 16 years older than me and had a relationship with someone who was 18 years younger than me. To me age is just a number really and it's all about compatibility and similar likes and dislikes.
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    10 years.
  • DanyelePalmer
    Options
    Me and my boyfriend are almost 5 years difference- i will be 26 in sep and he turns 21 this month. You would not believe how many ppl joke that im a cougar and i am robing the cradle... but hey i followed right in my moms footsteps i guess because my step dad is 9 years younger than her haha. Cougars unite! lol
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Surprising the age differences! our 20 years is not so unusual! BTW, maturity plays a large factor. Mt BF is an "old sole" so to speak... Much more mature than most men my age.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    As an example to what some people are saying, at age 47, I am seriously thinking about retirement. Not sitting in a rocking chair retirement, but defintely not a 9 to 5 gig anymore. At 55, I want to be all done with that and move on to something else. Getting with someone in their 20's, their whole world is brand new, and they are so far away from thinking like that that they can't really comprehend that.

I think there are certain points in life where the age does matter. Wouldn't it suck if your SO was retired, and you're working liek a dog everyday? I mean, there could be benefits to it, but I think I would hate that. It would piss me off, to be honest, if I had to work everyday, and they're just lounging around all the time. I mean, in my retirement, I'm not a loungey type, so I'm sure i'd be busy, but still.

So what you are saying is that you are looking for a woman in her 60's?? :laugh:
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    I'm 30 and he's 38, not a big deal for us. When I was 26 I went out with a 42 year old a couple times and I honestly couldn't get over the fact that I was closer to his daughters age (who was 17 at the time) then his. Really creeped me out.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I'm 30 and he's 38, not a big deal for us. When I was 26 I went out with a 42 year old a couple times and I honestly couldn't get over the fact that I was closer to his daughters age (who was 17 at the time) then his. Really creeped me out.

Glad my guy took it in stride that I had a grown kid and a teenager. Mine are 21 and 18 and the oldest one just had a baby this year. He refers to the one that lived with us up just recently as "ours" and it still chokes me up just a little bit. He was a little closer to her age, but he helped me navigate so many tough teenage things with her in the past couple of years. I can't wait to have kids with him. I have already seen what an amazing dad he is going to be. I know it is not for everybody, but it works for us.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    My husband is 3 1/2 years older then me and I couldn't imagine going any farther apart!
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    As an example to what some people are saying, at age 47, I am seriously thinking about retirement. Not sitting in a rocking chair retirement, but defintely not a 9 to 5 gig anymore. At 55, I want to be all done with that and move on to something else. Getting with someone in their 20's, their whole world is brand new, and they are so far away from thinking like that that they can't really comprehend that.

I think there are certain points in life where the age does matter. Wouldn't it suck if your SO was retired, and you're working liek a dog everyday? I mean, there could be benefits to it, but I think I would hate that. It would piss me off, to be honest, if I had to work everyday, and they're just lounging around all the time. I mean, in my retirement, I'm not a loungey type, so I'm sure i'd be busy, but still.

I totally respect and understand what you are saying. Like the idea that you might want to travel or enjoy your "Golden Days" while your SO is at work... But if I might play Devils Advocate for a sec... If you are retired and doing what you love and your SO is working isn't more their decision? Like can they handle working while youre not? Shouldn't you let the decide if they can handle that?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

I totally respect and understand what you are saying. Like the idea that you might want to travel or enjoy your "Golden Days" while your SO is at work... But if I might play Devils Advocate for a sec... If you are retired and doing what you love and your SO is working isn't more their decision? Like can they handle working while youre not? Shouldn't you let the decide if they can handle that?

I thought about that. Depends on their openness and ability to communicate. Like, I would expect when maybe jealousy, or whatever, creeps in, they tell me so that we can figure it out. Also, respect on my side...that I'm not just like, "im going to Vegas, see you in 4 days", but plan that stuff out and communicate. I think it probably could work. I'm being a little closed-minded about it, probably.