Options
    I used to have the "10 year rule"

10 years older
    10 years younger

This should only apply if you are over the age of 30, however :wink:
  • christyd4
    christyd4 Posts: 191
    Options
    I am 38 and my boyfriend will be 53 in a couple of days. With mine he doesn't look nor act like a 53 year old. We enoy the same music and same basic beliefs so it works out. His son and my son are only 2 years apart so that helps. He talks about the age difference more than I do, I frankly forget at times he is 15 years older than me
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i'll be 29 in two weeks. he's 43. :)
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it matters...I say date whom ever you want. Seriously, if you like them enough...you must have enough in common. Age is a number, go with how you feel!!!
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and mine is 36 . . . . no problems there.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My fiance's 25 years my senior. I'm 21 (22 in July) and he's 47.

Whoa! Really? How does that works with friends? What did the families have to say about it? Just curious. The age thing freaks me out. I thought I was more open minded, but recently, when faced with it, realized that anymore than maybe ten years might be too much.

I always thought I was too. I had dreamed of marrying George Clooney (21ish years older than me, I think) since I was 12. But, then I married my husband, who is only 4 years older and there are significant differences in our pop culture references with just a few years difference. And it definitely gets weird when we talk about when he was in high school, I was in 6th grade, etc. Since that gets awkward at times, I definitely would not be comfortable with someone who was an adult when I was born. Sure, it's different once both people are adults, but it still seems creepy.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Love older men!
  • byroman
    byroman Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb: "half your age plus seven"
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Whoa! Really? How does that works with friends? What did the families have to say about it? Just curious. The age thing freaks me out. I thought I was more open minded, but recently, when faced with it, realized that anymore than maybe ten years might be too much.

I always thought I was too. I had dreamed of marrying George Clooney (21ish years older than me, I think) since I was 12. But, then I married my husband, who is only 4 years older and there are significant differences in our pop culture references with just a few years difference. And it definitely gets weird when we talk about when he was in high school, I was in 6th grade, etc. Since that gets awkward at times, I definitely would not be comfortable with someone who was an adult when I was born. Sure, it's different once both people are adults, but it still seems creepy.

And you are totally allowed to have your own opinion. But I really don't care what others have to say about it. I mean, I love him, he loves me and that's all I could ask for.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm in my early 20s (currently 24) and have mostly dated men in their late 20s to early 30s, but there have been a couple of late 30s in there. Generally the late twenties seem to work best for me, but in a completely ridiculous twist I am seeing someone who is four years younger than me. I give this a lot more thought, being the older partner, than in any of the other arrangements.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    All your formulas, limits and restrictions will go out the window if you find the one who matters. Of course, if your rules are too strict, you might overlook that one, like I almost did.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    All your formulas, limits and restrictions will go out the window if you find the one who matters. Of course, if your rules are too strict, you might overlook that one, like I almost did.

This.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    I follow the "Divide by 2 and add 7" rule. So for my age, 22, the youngest I could date without feeling sketchy is 18 (22/2 = 11 + 7 =18). To find the oldest, do the opposite (22-7 = 15*2 = 30). It's an interesting formula for sure and I have quite a few friends who skirt the line but are plenty happy. Personally, I'm 6 months older than my fiance, which I believe is about how much older his mom is than his dad.

I'm pretty sure that LEGALLY that's the youngest you could date.
  • plumnbagel
    plumnbagel Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was 27 and my wife was 20 when we got married, and that was 16 years ago. The difference in our ages means less and less the longer we stay together, but every once in a while I'll say something like "I saw R.E.M. live in college," and she'll nudge me and say "I was listening to that record... in middle school." :smile:
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I am 29 and my boyfriend is 41. It doesn't bother me at all. I like the age difference. My ex-husband was 8 years older and I have daten men as much as 20 years older. I prefer the age gap to be 12-17 years apart. It seems then that my sense of humor is more appreciated, I can get his, older men are cleaner, tend to be a bit healthier in their food decisions, appreciate a lazy day at the beach, are more romantic.
  • Janet55555555555
    Options
    My husband and I are 61/2 years apart. I was 24 and he was 30 almost 31 when we met in 1989. We dated on and off for 4 years until we got married in 1993. We have our moments but we are very compatible. Age makes no difference.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

And you are totally allowed to have your own opinion. But I really don't care what others have to say about it. I mean, I love him, he loves me and that's all I could ask for.

But..but..pop culture references!!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i dated a girl ten years younger than me a few years ago. age difference wasn't the issue. it might have been a minor factor, but we pretty much just grew apart.

while i don't think that age is just a number, i also don't think that compatibility is limited solely to those close in age.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

But..but..pop culture references!!

What will we ever talk about without pop culture references?!
  • NoAdditives
    Options

I wasn't criticizing your specific relationship. I was addressing my comment to the person who replied to you since we seem to have the same idea.