Age Difference for dating?

Options

Replies

• iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    Ideally, I want someone 2-6 years younger than I am. I am 28.

why?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My husband has 19 years on me. I was 22 when we met, he had just turned 42. It works for us.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    There is an 11 year age gap between my Husband and myself, he is older than God, that is what I tell him. I might trade him in for a working model shortly .........
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is 5 years older. My limit would be 10 years and I would never date a guy younger than me.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    My ex is six years younger than me. We were fine with that... for the most part... but I do think his inexperience in some cases caused us problems. Not sure if that really had anything to do with the age gap, though. More maturity level.

I like men. Young. Old. With hair. Bald. To me, it's more about the chemistry, attraction, and compatibility. Not the age.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    As an example to what some people are saying, at age 47, I am seriously thinking about retirement. Not sitting in a rocking chair retirement, but defintely not a 9 to 5 gig anymore. At 55, I want to be all done with that and move on to something else. Getting with someone in their 20's, their whole world is brand new, and they are so far away from thinking like that that they can't really comprehend that.

I think there are certain points in life where the age does matter. Wouldn't it suck if your SO was retired, and you're working liek a dog everyday? I mean, there could be benefits to it, but I think I would hate that. It would piss me off, to be honest, if I had to work everyday, and they're just lounging around all the time. I mean, in my retirement, I'm not a loungey type, so I'm sure i'd be busy, but still.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    When I was dating (happily married now), I dated men that were 10-20 years older than me. Sometimes I dated someone my age but only if they were mature and fun to be around. Older men are fantastic. They know what they want in life, are mature enough to handle a drama-free relationship, and have lots of experience... um... between the sheets... What's not to love?
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    <~~~Just ended a relationship with a woman 17 years younger than me....I actually wanted babies with this one! :sad:
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    As an example to what some people are saying, at age 47, I am seriously thinking about retirement. Not sitting in a rocking chair retirement, but defintely not a 9 to 5 gig anymore. At 55, I want to be all done with that and move on to something else. Getting with someone in their 20's, their whole world is brand new, and they are so far away from thinking like that that they can't really comprehend that.

I think there are certain points in life where the age does matter. Wouldn't it suck if your SO was retired, and you're working liek a dog everyday? I mean, there could be benefits to it, but I think I would hate that. It would piss me off, to be honest, if I had to work everyday, and they're just lounging around all the time. I mean, in my retirement, I'm not a loungey type, so I'm sure i'd be busy, but still.

Yeah, that's the way I think of it. If my SO is around my age, I know we can go through all the life milestones together; we'll be "in the same place" so to speak. Of course, my life goals are pretty standard - some people don't approach careers/family/etc. the same way. But I wouldn't be interested in someone who has already done the family thing, or someone who is really far into his career and thinking about retiring. It just makes sense to be in the same stage of life.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The rule to be "non-creepy" is half your age, plus 7.
    This rule works really well, it keeps 14 year olds, dating 14 year olds, and I think works until around 50 or so. So a 50 year old, can date 32 or older.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    20 years older has been my "max"...when I was 20 I was in a relationship with a man 15 years older that lasted 7 years. The age was never an issue (even though his oldest son was only 6 years younger than me). I'm not sure I'd draw a line in the sand though, some times when you connect with someone you just have to do what feels right.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend is 22, three years older than me. i wouldn't go any further than that. it's weird enough, him about to start a full time job and me starting my sophomore year.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is six year younger than me, but no one notices the age difference, including ourselves. People always seem to think I'm younger than I am. ^_^

My unspoken "rule" was always six year younger or four years older.

My parents are six years apart, and the variety of the couples I know have age gaps ranging anywhere from 4-12yrs.
  • tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My fiance's 25 years my senior. I'm 21 (22 in July) and he's 47.

Whoa! Really? How does that works with friends? What did the families have to say about it? Just curious. The age thing freaks me out. I thought I was more open minded, but recently, when faced with it, realized that anymore than maybe ten years might be too much.

I hate to say it but I mostly agree with you on this...

However, I think that as we get older, the age gap/difference matters less and less. So if you're 40 and dating a 60 year old, it wouldn't matter as much....but hey to each his own and in the wise words of Aaliyah "age ain't nothing but a number'.
  • Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    All your formulas, limits and restrictions will go out the window if you find the one who matters. Of course, if your rules are too strict, you might overlook that one, like I almost did.

THIS FOR SURE!

I ALWAYS went for the taller & older (10 years tops), oh & the blue eyes. NEVER anyone younger, not even once.

I am now with someone that's 7 years younger, still taller than me, however brown eyes instead of blue. I never realized how beautiful brown eyes are. Yummy! We just got engaged April 3 and have been together 3 years as of April 3rd.
  • GrnEydGrl86
    GrnEydGrl86 Posts: 154
    Options
    My fiance's 25 years my senior. I'm 21 (22 in July) and he's 47.

I have a friend who married a guy 26 years older than her. He looks great for his age...BUT... let's just say that while she was at her peak of sexual interest in her 30s, he had no interest. Things don't hang like they used to. People sometimes forget the mental aspects of the age difference. Mid life crisis are real. As for the OPs question, my age limit would be 5 years. My wife is older than me by 2 years. We'll reach those milestones of life together. After all, misery does love company

My thoughts exactly LOL!
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    I don't think there should be any rules unless it comes to 18 and younger. If people are on the same maturity level or in some cases the Immaturity Level, and they click, then I say go for it!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Old enogh that they can't call me mom, at least 10 years younger than my dad. My husband is 13 months older.
  • Plussizebritt
    Plussizebritt Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is 9years older than me I'm 22 and He's 31 I don't like younger guys.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My parents were 15 years apart in age and were married for 40+ years... so I never thought much about age while dating.

My husband is almost exactly 2 years younger than me... and loves to tease me about how *old* I am! LOL