Age Difference for dating?

Options

Replies

• hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I couldn't go with anyone who is old enough to be my father.....

Guess that limits me to about 15 / 16 years older......

Think that's probably the same for younger as well....
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    There was 22 years difference between my Nana & Grandad, 5 years between my Mum & Dad and then 6 years between me and my ex. I've always dated older guys - I've dated a few guys younger than myself but that was when I was young and niave.

I've never found it to be a problem, but admit, it would be strange to date someone younger now. Just that maturity thing. I like to feel safe with a guy and protected, so maybe this has a factor in the age difference. But then if we had alot in common I wouldn't turn away someone around my own age.
  • julesw734
    julesw734 Posts: 100
    Options
    A post on the booty call thread got me thinking about this...what is your maximum age difference for dating?

My husband and I are 8 years apart (currently 9 since he just turned 43 and I'll be 35 in a month and a half).

I was 22 and he was 30 when we started dating.

Edited to add: We've never really noticed the age difference (unless our friends and his family teased him about robbing the cradle). But we both have the same pop culture references from the 80's. I do tease him once in a while about when he was in HS, I was still in elementry school! HA! I guess I've always just been more mature for my age because I'd NEVER dated guys my own age (couldn't stand them) and my dad always told me that when I settled down it would be with an older guy.

My husband and I are 8 years apart right now.. I was 22(Jan) and he just turned 30 march when we started dating.. Before him I always dated guys my age or just 1 to 3 years apart.. I never notice the age difference either cause my oldest brother is just 2 months younger than my husband.. My twin brother and I are 6 years younger than my 2nd oldest brother. So, I grew up with my husband generation music and culture. Plus, my parents are 7 years apart from each other.. We have a joke my husband tells me that he is still looking for my letter I wrote to him in the Gulf when I was 13.. I found out that I was neighbors with his boss' friends and babysat his kids once in awhile.. His boss took him in the office and said something about dating an underage girl. I guess he forgot I graduated high school like 4 years before.. Hubby and I laughed at that
  • iwillrideagain
    Options
    age is just a number!!! im 38 hubby is 54 ...15 year age gap i chased after him it dont matter what others think as long as both of you are happy they can sod off :smooched: :love:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    age is just a number!!! im 38 hubby is 54 ...15 year age gap i chased after him it dont matter what others think as long as both of you are happy they can sod off :smooched: :love:

Could not agree more!!!! Life is far to short to get hung up on a number!!!! 18 years age difference between my wife and I and we just celebrated our 21st Wedding Anniversary this past April..... Live, Laugh, Love and enjoy the time you have on this earth.... Best of Luck...
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    If I didn't want to start a family I would probably accept alittle older..but still at 35 I would like someone young at heart and I prefer someone closer to my age. 33 to 43 is what I look at.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    My partner is 10 years older than me. :) We never really notice it unless she brings up the 80s and I have to remind her I wasn't born yet! :laugh:
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the Maturity level of the younger person in the relationship
  • Sweet_Pea_82
    Sweet_Pea_82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was 17, he was 24. Got married when I was 18 and he was 25. Age difference bothered him (and my parents) a little at first, but it has never bothered me. Happily married for 11 1/2 years now and 2 great kids. Can't complain :wink:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    There's a formula, for guys...

Half of his age + 7 = minimum age of the girl he can date ;-)

It's a little more tricky to determine the minimum age guy, a girl can date...

Never knew this, should be printed on my man card somewhere.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    agreed!!
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    I would have no problem with a younger woman...but of course, that is every older mans dream!!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    agreed!!

Older people can be pretty immature too.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I'm 32, my husband is 37. Its been perfect. He always jokes "I married a younger woman so she is always prettier and I'm always wiser". Uh huh...Thats what he thinks. haha!
    Personally, I would never date a younger man. I know this is a little old fashion but I really look to my husband to be the man of the house, be as mature as me-if not more, and take care of his business. Its a security thing. Right or wrong, its how I feel.

IMO, I think If you are the ages of 20-25, 5 years difference is the max you want to go. After 25, it doesn't matter. Those ages represent different phases in your life. 25 is when most people start settling down, are thinking about starting a family and marriage (if they haven't already). A 20 year old dating a 30 year old often have different views on life. I personally got married before I could party and sew my wild oats...maybe its a blessing in disguise but I think I missed something too.

My thought...wait. If its meant to be, a little time is not going to hurt anything.

Sorry for the edit.
  • jleslie66
    jleslie66 Posts: 31
    Options
    My fiance's 25 years my senior. I'm 21 (22 in July) and he's 47.

Do you have a younger sister? haha! ;)
  • annadavidson1984
    annadavidson1984 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think age is just a number. One of my friend's significant other has kids the same age we are and they have been together 26 years. My ex is five years younger than I am. I think it depends on what you want. If you are a female (50 such as myself), I know I'm nothaving more children. I'd date somebody 30, but not if they wanted kids.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Do you have a younger sister? haha! ;)

Bahah, yes but she's like 5. A wee bit too young.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    agreed!!

Older people can be pretty immature too.

I suppose I have to agree....Whilst I'm 36 I look and act alot younger. But hey...at least hopefully, I'll have my good looks when I'm much older! lol.

On a serious note....Whilst I do act younger I do regard myself alot wiser / intuitive, through experiences. I'm a deep thinker and very analytical at times. I have to look at things in detail in some cases.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Do you have a friend? ;-)

--Prahasaurus
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options

When I saw your post, I thought to myself, 'this girl is going to be mentioned a lot'.

But not because I thought it was wrong, but just because of how people are so quick to judge. I don't know you or your fiance, so what can I say?
    In my opinion, if you're both consenting adults and are truly 100% committed to one another for all of the right reasons, why should it matter the age?

That being said - I'm 20 and my husband is 24. Not really much of a difference - except when we started dating.. I was 17 and he was 21. But we're on the same level and enjoy the same things. I'd say more than people saying things about an age gap - they comment on the fact that we are married so young! (But again, except those that KNOW us as a couple).