Age Difference for dating?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    My fiance's 25 years my senior. I'm 21 (22 in July) and he's 47.

When I saw your post, I thought to myself, 'this girl is going to be mentioned a lot'.

But not because I thought it was wrong, but just because of how people are so quick to judge. I don't know you or your fiance, so what can I say?
    In my opinion, if you're both consenting adults and are truly 100% committed to one another for all of the right reasons, why should it matter the age?

That being said - I'm 20 and my husband is 24. Not really much of a difference - except when we started dating.. I was 17 and he was 21. But we're on the same level and enjoy the same things. I'd say more than people saying things about an age gap - they comment on the fact that we are married so young! (But again, except those that KNOW us as a couple).

People are quick to judge and we've gotten a few looks or comments here and there, but ultimately, it's our life and as long as we're happy, that's all that matters.

We've simply eliminated those that judge and surround ourselves with those that don't - including my lovely parents.
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used to think age didn't matter but the older I get the more my mind changes. I have a lot of friends married to older men so I've seen the changes happen. There are positive things but here are some of the negatives. They treat you like a child. Suddenly you go from being with a sexy older man to being with someone who looks old and you are mistaken for their daughter or granddaughter. Their health fails. Bad back, heart, etc. You go from spouse to caregiver overnight. There's also the issue of kids. Most likely they will want them right away and if you don't hurry up they will probably decide not to have any because they are too old. All things to consider.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 (25 in august) and my bf is 35 :-)
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Twin sister also works.... ;-)
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    He was 22 and I was 38 when we got married:smokin:
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and he is 41. Right now the biggest obstacle we face is kids. He's not sure if he wants to be an "old" dad. And neither of us should have to compromise on something that big, the worst thing that could happen in a relationship is feeling resentment toward your partner. I think as long as both people are willing to look at the situation as a whole, and not just what is good right now, than age shouldn't matter that much. It depends on the people in the situation of course. Personally I see myself evolving in sync with him and I think regardless of age differences that's a very important thing.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Twin sister also works.... ;-)

Bahaha.
  • losingitincollege
    losingitincollege Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For me, 9 years. 10 years seems like too much for me.
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    I am 29 and my boyfriend is 41. It doesn't bother me at all. I like the age difference. My ex-husband was 8 years older and I have daten men as much as 20 years older. I prefer the age gap to be 12-17 years apart. It seems then that my sense of humor is more appreciated, I can get his, older men are cleaner, tend to be a bit healthier in their food decisions, appreciate a lazy day at the beach, are more romantic.

You tell em, sister!