MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I did intervals saturday with my hubby - not sure total distance but I feel good about how far we went together. I am upping my strength training this week to at least 2 times - I've only been getting 1 day a week in and I think it's partially why I've stopped losing. But now that I've finished C25K, it's time to redo my workout schedule.

Walked yesterday - 8 miles - just to say I could!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    To all the ladies -- me and my running buddy need some advice. We are having difficulty finding the right clothes to run in. We've been "testing" differrent stuff to find the best thing for the 1/2 in September. It's going to be very hot -- and although we use Body glide, we would really like to make sure our attire doesn't cause any chaffing. So what's your favorite running gear.....
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    To all the ladies -- me and my running buddy need some advice. We are having difficulty finding the right clothes to run in. We've been "testing" differrent stuff to find the best thing for the 1/2 in September. It's going to be very hot -- and although we use Body glide, we would really like to make sure our attire doesn't cause any chaffing. So what's your favorite running gear.....

My favorite hot weather running gear:
    Saucony Speed Tank - I've tried other brands in this tank. Even though they look the same as my Saucony, they just were not created equally. My Target speed tanks don't breathe well. My Champion speed tanks start to ride up mid run.? The Saucony speed tank is super comfortable, breathes, and stays fresh without any special care.

I also LOVE my Champion moisture wicking sun visor. I get super hot so I prefer visors to caps. I don't think they sell this visor any more but it is awesome because it does double duty as a visor and a sweat band. I sweat a lot and it really keeps the sweat out of my eyes.

I have not found any hot weather shorts that I just love. If anyone has a recommendation, I would love to hear it. I do have a Target, c9, pair of basketball shorts that I love because they are comfortable and don't ride. However, since they have a very long inseam (down to my knees) I stay away from them in hot weather.

Let us know how the root canal goes. I had one 4 years ago. I was terrified b/c everyone always talks about how bad root canals are. Mine was a breeze. I did not feel a thing.? Well I take that back - my wallet was in pain.:laugh:

chat soon
    -Kechie.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

I have some tech gear underarmour that are long-they don't ride so I don't chaf - but they are longer so not sure if they are what you're looking for...they are Heat gear so they help to wick away the sweat - I love them.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Annaliza ~ welcome back! :smile:

Tom ~ have a great vacation! West Coast Canada? My dad is from Calgary, aunt in Edmonton, uncle in Vancouver, grandparents were in British Columbia.

Julie ~ good luck with the root canal!

Jodi ~ I'm with you in the shoe dept! In fact, I'm toying with the idea of getting a 3rd pair. Sshhh, don't tell my husband! :wink:

Chrissy ~ good job on the intervals! :happy:
    They are so hard!!! I'd rather do a long, slow and steady run anyday!

Sherry ~ sorry you are have twinges again! :frown:

Ketchie ~ where did you get your Saucony tank? I usually go *topless* but I'm looking for some cute and comfy tanks.

I actually just got a couple pairs of shorts from WalMart that work great....and they were cheap. Combined with BodyGlide, I did almost 8 in the heat and humidity a couple weeks ago with not a bit of chafing.

No run today. Did some lower body weight work! I made it through a set and a half of my routine before my back started whispering at me, so I finished 2nd set then did a lot of stretching and some easy abs.
    Going to try 5 miles tomorrow. Really frustrated with the delay in my training.

Happy running everyone! I'm so jealous!

Becky
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I have not found any hot weather shorts that I just love. If anyone has a recommendation, I would love to hear it. I do have a Target, c9, pair of basketball shorts that I love because they are comfortable and don't ride. However, since they have a very long inseam (down to my knees) I stay away from them in hot weather.

-Kechie.

I have a pair of Moving Comfort shorts that I just love! No ride up, very comfy and light.
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Today was a rest day. Ive been focusing on fundraising all day-trying to drum up some fun activities to do and how to bring some money in. If anyone has any good ideas I'd love to hear them!

guster -- I ran with TNT back in 2001; GREAT experience, and I'm excited for you to be involved in such a good cause. and seeing all the team on race day is something else.

there are tons of ideas for fundraising; a few that worked for me:

we held a yard sale, got many family and friends to donate items, and then we marked them up higher than you would normally price for yard sale. we had TNT banners draped up, and made it clear to everyone that all proceeds went to the cause (hence the high prices), but towards the end of the day when we marked everything "donation" and let people name their price, we actually pulled in even more.

also did a mini-golf marathon, where i recruited a few family members and a friend to go out and get sponsors, then the 4 of us played 100 holes of mini-golf. got the facility to let us "play" for free; we had people sponsor us with flat donations or per-hole amounts, making us earn the money. i even bought small prizes for the winner and other participants

just a few thoughts -- good luck to you! where is your race?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Just finished Couch to 5k week 3 day 1... toughest increase in intervals/weeks yet (in my opinion) but I did it, and it felt great :bigsmile: I can't believe it!!!

Usually run later in the evening, so running at 6:00 today was a little humid for me, but I still did it :bigsmile:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Just finished Couch to 5k week 3 day 1... toughest increase in intervals/weeks yet (in my opinion) but I did it, and it felt great :bigsmile: I can't believe it!!!

Usually run later in the evening, so running at 6:00 today was a little humid for me, but I still did it :bigsmile:

Congrats!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Started Week 3 of my program...easy 2 miles today. Kind of nervous about my 5 mile tempo run on Wed, but I'm sure it will be just fine.

Hope everyone had a great day!
  • kechiemc
    Options

-Kechie.
    I have a pair of Moving Comfort shorts that I just love! No ride up, very comfy and light.

Please share more info.:smile: Moving Comfort has a lot of styles. I did purchase a pair of their shorts on clearance recently. I was disappointed because the rise was too high so it looked like I had on grandma shorts (the waist band fell way above my belly button). In all fairness to the Moving Comfort people, this issue may have been me and my physique. In college, my girlfriends nicknamed me "high waist" b/c of my very long legs.:embarassed:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Kechie ~ where did you get your Saucony tank? I usually go *topless* but I'm looking for some cute and comfy tanks.

nationalrunningcenter.com

They are sold out. I ordered mine this spring when there was a big sale on the site. When I placed my order, I had no idea I would love it so much. I ordered one of every color in my size. I received one white shirt.:ohwell:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Ran my 14-mile long run today. I felt pretty good - no stomach issues, which is a rarity no matter what distance I run! :blushing: Tonight I'm feeling it pretty bad in my knees, though. They are both very stiff and achy. Any suggestions?

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!

:heart: Heather

I don't have any suggestions. Keep us posted.:flowerforyou:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Ran/Walked 3 miles today

I felt like a newbie. I bonked so bad. I actually was growling and cursing at myself while walking. I think this is the worst run I've had. Ugh!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Ran/Walked 3 miles today

I felt like a newbie. I bonked so bad. I actually was growling and cursing at myself while walking. I think this is the worst run I've had. Ugh!

Don't get too down; we all have off days and runs. Just get back out there next time and go for it!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    5 miles down this morning:):happy:

Alisha
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

-Kechie.

Please share more info.:smile: Moving Comfort has a lot of styles. I did purchase a pair of their shorts on clearance recently. I was disappointed because the rise was too high so it looked like I had on grandma shorts (the waist band fell way above my belly button). In all fairness to the Moving Comfort people, this issue may have been me and my physique. In college, my girlfriends nicknamed me "high waist" b/c of my very long legs.:embarassed:

Ew! I can hardly stand when something comes up over my belly button. These shorts aren't like that.. The tag doesn't really have any helpful info. I bought them at a running store about 2 years ago with a matching top (my only real matching outfit to this day). Sorry, I am sure this isn't much help at all!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    After 4100 + miles and 2 weeks of traveling back from vacation and back to training. I registered for a 10 miler and Half yesterday. I'll be using my old Running Room Half Training program so forgive me I'll be logging in KM. Today 5K Tempo Run.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Well...root canal is complete....but recovery is very painful! :sick: Still did 5.5 miles this morning. Felt very queazy after -- must be the lack of food and surplus of pain meds. hoping I will feel better tomorrow!

thanks for all the clothing suggestions. someone mentioned the under armour -- now don't laugh cause my little polish brain reared it's ugly head! I thought the "heat" wear was to the keep you warm. I have passed up so many opportunities to buy it thinking "I don't want to get hotter" :embarassed: Maybe I'll give it another look. Silly me!

Have a happy Tuesday!
    Julie
  • kechiemc
    Options
    5 mile tempo run for me this morning.

The goal was:
    1 mile warm up
    800 meters in 4:05 with 400 meter jogs (repeat 3 times)
    1.5 mile cool down

I struggled and banged out 4:16, 3:58(yay!), and 4:40.:ohwell:

Apparently, I wasn't too gassed b/c I was able to jog the cool down. Just one of those runs...

Enjoy the day:flowerforyou:
    -Kechie.