Being called " fat" by another " fatty"

Options

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that I have never in my life been called a fat chick. :smokin:
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I was dating my now husband, his mom told me that I "could stand to lose 'a few pounds'". WTH?? She was as big as I was at that time, and even then I wasn't horribly overweight! Sheesh....
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There was a woman who was at least twice my biggest size who once asked to borrow a clothing item of mine and complained it was "more snug than I thought, do you have a bigger one from when you were bigger?" I may be kind of an *kitten*, but I was never anywhere NEAR her size and for her to think I was... infuriated me.

She probably has some self image issues, one of my best friends growing up was like that, always thought she was the same size as me even though she was the poster child of childhood obesity and i was absolutely not overweight by any means. She's still like that to this day, stubborn as ever she was that she is a size 14 when she's actually bigger than a size 28.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It is always dangerous to comment on someone else's body. You never know how they self-identify or how they feel about it. I've never had this exact experience, but one time a horseback riding instructor commented on "short-legged chicks like us." I was surprised and a bit offended. I am of average height and my legs are proportionally long. I've always been proud of them (as you can see by my picture). To be referred to as "short-legged," even in an inclusive sense, did not make me very happy!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I am a writer of fiction and a moderately well-followed blog called "A Fat Girl & A Fat Horse". I have long ago stopped considering the word "fat" to be anything more than a descriptor - the same as the fact that I am tall, blonde, and fair skinned. One of my dearest friends who also struggles with her weight was SO offended and upset that I referred to myself in that way. We have had many a conversation about this. Fat does not have to be a "bad word" - when it is used as an insult - well, I consider the people who sling it for the purpose of offending to have much larger problems with their lives than the fact that I am fat.

I am completely comfortable with myself now, I was completely comfortable with myself 75lbs ago and you know, that was really the first step to success in losing the weight. I accepted myself and recognized that my value was not tied to a number on the scale or a sometimes-used-as-an-insult descriptor word. It was truly the first step to happiness and freedom. I don't want to lose weight because I want to stop being able to be described as "fat" (come on, I was 10lbs11oz when I was born, I am 6' tall with size 12 feet, I will ALWAYS be "fat" by SOMEBODY'S standards, even at my goal weight) but because I want to have a stronger, faster, more powerful body than I have right now. And if I didn't lose a pound or an inch in the process, I would be completely okay with that. It was truly an epiphany.

best thing in this thread
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The correct response is "Takes one to know one"

jon-gruden-fist-pound-fail.gif
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes I have.

It was the kick up the bum I needed to accept I had put on weight and that it wasn't just "a bit of extra weight" but that in the eyes of others I was now "fat".

I hated it. I would never call anyone fat. But... it did make me stop and take a good look at myself

I have been "complimented" and told I look great for a BBW. I almost fainted and cried. Never, ever in my life had I ever been seen as that or seen myself as that. It really took me aback that others saw me as a BBW. I have nothing at all against BBW and I actually prefer a curvier look on females.. but it just wasn't how I saw myself and stunned me.

I guess many would look at my pics now and refer to me as "fat" or "bbw" I feel myself now though I am not.. I am a bit overweight and have a bit to lose and certainly not skinny - but I am more comfortable being further away from those labels. I know we shouldn't care what others think or call us - but I did - because it wasn't what I wanted to be.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I was called a fat *kitten* by a woman that was 3x bigger than me, no exaggeration. I laughed because irony is the best jokester out there. I was fat at that time but I have never taken money for sex. I wonder what made her think I did. Hmmm.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I've never been called a fat chick by anyone. .
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

You're a fat chick. Now can no longer make that claim. :wink:
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

You're a fat chick. Now can no longer make that claim. :wink:

Awww Man! *kicks rocks*

Wait! . Does this mean I can now talk about how people used to call me a fat chick!?. .
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I have been called fat by a fat husband! Maybe that's one reason he is soon to be an ex husband
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Before I started losing weight one of my female co-workers approached me (she is at least as big as I was, if not bigger) and said "you're big like me so I was wondering where you shopped for clothes". I didn't say anything to her face but I was thinking to myself "did she just call me fat!?!". Um yep. The truth hurts. I considered it motivation.

See that would not have made me mad. She really wanted to know where else she could shop.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS hated that! And yes, it has happened to me a handful of times. Surprisingly not even more often though.

The worst was my ex husband's friend...she was a very obese woman in her 50s who told the waiter when we all went out to dinner that she needed a "table for four very fat people and one regular person". The 5th person with us was her sister who was thin. I had just lost 40 lb and really did not appreciate that!! SO rude.

The same woman had issues, I ordered a side salad - with my greasy cheeseburger no less - and she said something like "oh NO are you dieting?!?!". She would really flip out now as I've lost more than 80 lb since that day haha
  • chocolatexxmintt
    chocolatexxmintt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yep.. it kind of sucks but the lady who made the comment doesn't see being overweight as a problem the way that I do. She likes her body the way it is.. me on the other hand. Wish/Pray/Hope I can shred some pounds and become active again. It's just the way some bigger ladies perceive their weight.
  • Wakeup2014
    Wakeup2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever been called a fat chick by another large woman? So, I have fallen victim to the " Us fat chicks" and the " two fat girls" comments, said by another large woman( or women). I know I am big..but, I don't care what size you are.. I don't want to be called fat by another person..Maybe i'm just a sensitive baby? But, it bothers me a little!! I know they don't mean it in a malicious way AT ALL.. but, it just ain't cute! ( Now please don't come verbally abuse me!!) :flowerforyou:

Yes. Omg. A lady did this to me at a swimsuit store. I was uncomfortable from the get-go trying on suits and the super fit lady helping me kept making me come out of the dressing room to check out the fat..er fit. She could tell I was awkward so she sent over her (much larger) co-worked who made a comment about certain suits flattering us bigger women. Omg!!! I was mortified.
  • Erinelda
    Erinelda Posts: 96
    Options
    I call me and my best friends fat if we're getting fat. I help them lose weight too. I don't want my friends to die.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've found that when people who are overweight make fun of other people's weight they are just trying to mask their own insecurities and make themselves feel better (usually the reason behind most bullying and teasing!). I've been made fun of by some people that weren't exactly model-material themselves. It stings but they're probably just jealous in one way or another! (I may be fat but I have a hot husband and two adorable kids lol)

I agree, I also think there are so many weird things people tell themselves. For example I have known women who weighed 350 lb but were super proud of being apple shaped instead of pear shaped (AND vice versa).

The most offensive thing to me (on many levels) is the woman who suggested to me following my divorce that I needed a man of a different race to appreciate my body because "white men don't like big girls". WTF.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    When I was dating my now husband, his mom told me that I "could stand to lose 'a few pounds'". WTH?? She was as big as I was at that time, and even then I wasn't horribly overweight! Sheesh....

This post is over 2 years old- what search did you use to find it?
  • budobo
    budobo Posts: 38
    Options
    My dad, who is 55 years old and has quite a belly, often refers to my "belly." He'll make comments like, what's that belly you've got there? You're getting a tummy!

I am 5'4" muscular and probably only 5 lbs overweight (I weigh 129 as of today). What the **** dad.

People love to be critical of others -- even those who love you, such as my dad. If you ever feel put down, just tell them that they aren't in any position to judge you.