Building Muscle vs. Losing Weight

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I was speaking to a PT who said that she has trained a number of women, and has seen some of them really bulk up in their thighs, particularly those 5ft 4in and under.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 632 Member
    I gained lean muscle as a newbie while losing 83 lbs. But I had newbie gains, was over weight, tried to only lose 1 lb. per week, 2 at the most and consumed over 1 gram of protein for every lb. of bodyweight each and every day.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    That's more or less true, but don't worry about it. It's mostly an issue for intermediate and advanced lifters who have hit a point where gains are tougher to come by. The body needs a caloric excess to build muscle, and a caloric deficit to lose weight (fat or muscle). So you can see why those two processes are at odds with each other.

But beginners or relative beginners can see gains in both at the same time. You can get stronger, much stronger, while still losing bodyfat %. Give it all you've got at the gym and give it all you've got in the kitchen, and you'll be reaching your goals sooner than you think.

David's right. All I can add is Think about your goals. Do you want to bulk up? Look better? Be healthier? Be able to do more? Many weightlifters--especially males--concentrate on increasing muscle size without building stamina and flexibility. If your goal is to be able to walk longer, run longer and get your luggage across the airport terminal you may want a different program than the guy who wants the broadest shoulders and largest chest and arms.
  • FlyeredUp
    That's more or less true, but don't worry about it. It's mostly an issue for intermediate and advanced lifters who have hit a point where gains are tougher to come by. The body needs a caloric excess to build muscle, and a caloric deficit to lose weight (fat or muscle). So you can see why those two processes are at odds with each other.

But beginners or relative beginners can see gains in both at the same time. You can get stronger, much stronger, while still losing bodyfat %. Give it all you've got at the gym and give it all you've got in the kitchen, and you'll be reaching your goals sooner than you think.

David's right. All I can add is Think about your goals. Do you want to bulk up? Look better? Be healthier? Be able to do more? Many weightlifters--especially males--concentrate on increasing muscle size without building stamina and flexibility. If your goal is to be able to walk longer, run longer and get your luggage across the airport terminal you may want a different program than the guy who wants the broadest shoulders and largest chest and arms.
    I do the same lifting program as pro body builders at my gym but I also do Insanity to be functional, because I want to be able to do more than be good at tanning and posing in the mirror.
  • Nano1360
    Nano1360 Posts: 101 Member
    I also had the same problem until one of friends, tought me a simple trick!
    After my strength exercises I always have a small banana or apple after my whey protein. It tricks your body to absorb banana as a carb and use protein to build muscles! The body needs both in the same time to build muscles. At first I was afraid maybe using carb exactly after my exercise would make me to gain more weight but after 2 weeks now I started to build muscles and also lose 3.8 lb. hope it would be useful for you too!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    bump
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    That's untrue... Just eat at a small deficit with plenty of protein. I put on muscle while losing weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    That's untrue... Just eat at a small deficit with plenty of protein. I put on muscle while losing weight.

How do you know?
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,340 Member
    I love these threads.... when all the special little snowflakes come out.... so certain that they defy the laws of nature, yet never can substantiate their claims with actual scientifically proven tests (ie. body scan, etc).

Those of you that aren't obese, and are building muscle on a deficit. What is your body using to build that muscle with? You're already in a deficit, causing the weight loss, but somehow, magically, are building muscle without a substantial energy source. Not to mention these ladies lack the testosterone levels that are needed for faster muscle gains.

I think bodybuilders the world over should copy your magical routines, because you're gaining muscle on a faster pace than they can. /end sarcasm
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249

The most important thing is to stay motivated. Too often people learn about something or hear someone say something that they let get them down and then they use that as an excuse to not keep pushing forward. Don't let that happen to you. Lift+Portion Control=Results
    Very nicely said
  • FlyeredUp

How do you know?
    I cant speak for her, But I put on over an inch on my arms, chest, traps and calves even though my waist went from a size 46 to a size 32.
  • Trail_Addict

How do you know?
    I cant speak for her, But I put on over an inch on my arms, chest, traps and calves even though my waist went from a size 46 to a size 32.

Did you loan her some of your testosterone? I too am curious how she verified her pure muscle gains on a deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf

How do you know?

A couple of things to note here:

1) you are a guy - she is not
    2) you mentioned before - you had newbie gains
    3) more strength training = more water in muscle = greater measurements
  • Sarauk2sf
    I love these threads.... when all the special little snowflakes come out.... so certain that they defy the laws of nature, yet never can substantiate their claims with actual scientifically proven tests (ie. body scan, etc).

Those of you that aren't obese, and are building muscle on a deficit. What is your body using to build that muscle with? You're already in a deficit, causing the weight loss, but somehow, magically, are building muscle without a substantial energy source. Not to mention these ladies lack the testosterone levels that are needed for faster muscle gains.

I think bodybuilders the world over should copy your magical routines, because you're gaining muscle on a faster pace than they can. /end sarcasm

^^this

I had a DEXA scan the other day - am going to have one in a few months.

I am female (obviously I hope!), am eating at a deficit, have been back to strength training for a few months (no more newbie gains) and fully expect my muscle to have no more than remained the same but probably to have decreased when I have my next one.
  • FlyeredUp

How do you know?

1. Like I said I cant speak for her, only for myself.
    2. yes I did have newbie gains which I stated that I did.
    3. your right, strength training + more water in the muscle= greater measurements, but water levels in your body flucuate, my body measurements never did after the 4th or 5th month. Plus I lost 83 lbs of fat at the same time so my muscles retaining water would not be enough to cause to lose that many inches of fat plus gain inches as well.
  • Trail_Addict

How do you know?

1. Like I said I cant speak for her.
    3. your right, strength training + more water in the muscle= greater measurements, but water levels in your body flucuate, my body measurements never did, after the 4th or 5th month. Plus I lost 83 lbs of fat at the same time so my muscles retaining water would not be enough to cause to lose that many inches of fat plus gain inches as well.

We already sat through an entire 20 page thread about you.... please don't make me have to go through that again now that this thread is my 'My Topics" list. Thanks. :wink:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member

How do you know?

3. your right, strength training + more water in the muscle= greater measurements, but water levels in your body flucuate, my body measurements never did, after the 4th or 5th month. Plus I lost 83 lbs of fat at the same time so my muscles retaining water would not be enough to cause to lose that many inches of fat plus gain inches as well.

Improved neuromuscular response plus the above most certainly would. Particularly as a male.

I've gained a total of 1.5" in my right arm since my surgery in February. Are you going to tell me that's all new muscle...or any of it for that matter? How has it gained so much size, strength, and density...with no new muscle?
  • Sarauk2sf

How do you know?

I was not challenging you on your muscle gain claim - as you said you also had a decent amount of fat when you started as well. I was just trying to put it back into the context of the poster's comment.

I just see the claim a lot from women on a deficit, and there is not way it can be categorically claimed that they (or anyone else) gained muscle without a DEXA scan.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    If I was 7 pounds overweight and my goal was to burn fat, build muscle, I would do this:

Eat QUALITY food at your maintenance/TDEE level and resistance/strength train.

You will recomp your body - fat to muscle. Body fat % decrease. You will be leaner, look leaner .. but you may WEIGH the same on the scale.
  • Sarauk2sf

^^this

I had a DEXA scan the other day - am going to have one in a few months.

I am female (obviously I hope!), am eating at a deficit, have been back to strength training for a few months (no more newbie gains) and fully expect my muscle to have no more than remained the same but probably to have decreased when I have my next one.

I have been resistance training for a while, but nothing to serious. My estimated TDEE is 3,500 - 3,700 calories. I have been eating at 3,000 calories. As I said before, i gained about 7 pounds LBM, and 2lbs of fat, but my physique made a big change, I look like i lost 10-15lbs in a month.

My question to you would be the same as to the earlier post - how do you KNOW? The only way to really have an accurate deterimination is a DEXA scan. Other methods of calculating are inaccurate and do not differentiate between muscle and other 'stuff' included in the LBM calculation (which includes water). Also, other methods are very variable depending on the user (if caliper) and hydration plus they only really look at subcutaneous fat and not visceral fat.

Edited to fix a typo