Are Wrists tattoos considered trashy??

Options

Replies

• sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Not trashy! Even before I got mine I thought they look dainty and beautiful. But truly, it's whatever makes you happy. I simply cover mine up with a bracelet if absolutely necessary. I'm finding that more and more, my tattoos are accepted. Thank goodness I finally work for a company where they don't have any rules against visible tattoos! Here's mine. I haven't regretted it for even a second. (this was right after it was done and is a close-up. I've had it for about 3 years now)

2corczb.jpg
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, there are 3 trashy tattoos:
    1) Butterfly/flower/stars/chinese symbol on ankle
    2) Tribal arm band on a guy (well more stupid than trashy)
    3) Tattoo on the center of a girls back above her *kitten* (aka tramp stamp)

I would like to clarify that I'm not condemning back tattoos. A friend of mine has this wicked tattoo that covers her entire back from butt to neck. It's aso different when you have tattoos all over and you're just using the available skin. However, if you only have one tattoo on your back, putting it on the area just above your *kitten* is super trashy.

I agree! and how dumb are you gonna look in the nursing home when you are 85 and they are changing your diaper and you have this wrinkly tattoo above your wrinkly old butt?

LOL Pretty sure if I live to 85, the last thing I'm going to care about is a tattoo I got when I was young and lively...and also pretty sure the people taking care of me could give two sh*ts as well. lol Where do people come up with these ideas that don't matter? I know plenty of old people with tattoos....it's no different ffs. "Remove head from sphincter then post".
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I would like to clarify that I'm not condemning back tattoos. A friend of mine has this wicked tattoo that covers her entire back from butt to neck. It's also different when you have tattoos all over and you're just using the available skin. However, if you only have one tattoo on your back, putting it on the area just above your *kitten* is super trashy.

I have a lower back piece that I designed as a custom piece for my 30th birthday. It's an expression of my faith, and the pieces that needed to be incorporated and its size meant there was no other location it would fit/ make sense. If that makes me trashy, I'm ok with my faith being trash to you.
  • duelistic
    duelistic Posts: 15
    Options
    I know several ladies with tattoos on/near their wrist.
    All are total babes, and it doesnt take away from anything.
    Awesome conversation starter.

Someone once suggested in jest that I get an armband tattoo.
    I still laugh about the idea.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's wise to consider how it will affect people at work. If you work in a conservative environment, you need to be careful about the image that you project.

I would suggest that you should always consider the image you project. Your style, clothes, atitude and tatoos are the image you have chosen and people will judge you based on that image.

And I would suggest, F them. Live your life the way you want. Not the way others want you to. It's your life, not theirs. And most other people are lame any damn way. Enjoy and be happy.

(no offense intended at all. Just providing a counter point)

I think you are missing my point. You can choose whatever image you want to project as part of your life.

If its to have tons of tatoos, dress in whatever and have an F attitude as you suggest, that is ok. But others do have the right to judge you based on the image you have chosen to project.

And this is not one sided. If you choose to dress very conserveritvely, are quiet, do not swear people will judge you a certain way also based on that image. (imagine this person applying for a job at Newbury Comics)

Oh I know they can judge. And they have that right. I've just decided to stop caring. It's such a waste of energy.

Don't live your life based on what other people might think. Do what makes you happy. Your opinion of yourself matters 1000x more than someone else's.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think all tats are ugly...I don't think ink looks good on the body, anywhere!!

And that's why you don't have any.. If you can't 'Appreciate' them.. don't get them.. but don't judge others FOR having them. And they are 'tattoos'.. not tats...

Welp. This user was not "judging" anyone. They were just putting in their 2 cents about the topic. If you can't handle others opinions, don't go on the threads. And yea...people call tattoos "tats".
  • duelistic
    duelistic Posts: 15
    Options
    Just keep in mind how you will feel about it when you are old and wrinkly ;) lol

I'm not old and wrinkly yet, but I imagine I'll care even less about what other people think of my tattoos in another 40 years.

This is from my 4th birthday. My grandfather would have been in his 70s. I don't recall him ever being all, "Oh, dear...what must people think of the tattoo on my wrinkly skin." :laugh: And I never thought, "Ew, why does Pop have a tattoo?! He's OLD!" It was just part of who he was.

4yearsold.jpg

Grandpa=BAMF.
    Same with my grandfather and father.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have a band of shamrocks around my wrist. I've had it for 15 years and for most of that time I've held office jobs that required professional dress. Currently I'm an account manager and constantly have meetings with clients and potential clients. It's never been a problem.

If you're worried about what your specific employer will say, you could ask for their policy. Then again, maybe it's better to get it and claim you didn't know. ;) A wrist tattoo is the easiest "visible" one to cover, too.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options

I would like to clarify that I'm not condemning back tattoos. A friend of mine has this wicked tattoo that covers her entire back from butt to neck. It's aso different when you have tattoos all over and you're just using the available skin. However, if you only have one tattoo on your back, putting it on the area just above your *kitten* is super trashy.

I agree! and how dumb are you gonna look in the nursing home when you are 85 and they are changing your diaper and you have this wrinkly tattoo above your wrinkly old butt?

Pretty sure, if I were 85 and getting my diaper changed I wouldn't give a *kitten* about what my "tramp stamp" looked like.

^^ Yup this is what I'm saying!! I have fairly large tattoo on my back, it starts in the middle and it happens to be that the feet end up on my tail bone area! I don't give a rat's butt what my tattoos look like when I'm old and wrinkly. I really ain't going to care when someone else is wiping my *kitten*!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    When we're all at that age, half the nursing home residents will have tattoos.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

I have a different take on that. I look at it as when I'm 85 and if at that point someone is wiping my butt and changing my diaper, would I even care at that point if I have a wrinkly tattoo on my body?! At least I could make light of the situation and tell that young nurse about the time I was young and got the tattoo :)
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My wrist tattoo is adorable. It is also small enough and placed in such a way that it's easily covered by my watch, if I so choose.

It's the three little stars that are in the corner of each page of the Harry Potter books. I am not being even a little bit hyperbolic when I say that those books saved my sanity at a really dark point in my life.

I also have a giant and elaborate tattoo between my shoulders (well, sort of extending onto my shoulder blades) that is also easy to cover with clothing if I need to. Actually, for that one I have to plan to show it because most of my clothes are not that low-backed so it usually only comes out on special occasions. It's an Arts and Crafts design by William Morris' daughter May.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be concerned with what others think, a visible tattoo, like one on your wrist, my not be a good thing for you.

I agree with this. Personally I like it, but definitely consider whether you'd still like it in 10 years, 20 years - at that particular spot.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I JUST got one on the inside of my left wrist as a constant reminder to never give up on myself and to remember my goals and values. :)
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Hope not because I've got a love tattoo on my wrist. Mine hides nicely under my watch band when I need to cover them up
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    Working in education people seem to view you differently. I don't have a problem with tatoos and many are awesome. However I would be very careful. People expect people in education to dress and act a certain way. Even being out and having an alcoholic beverage can been seen negatively. Just my observation in the South.
  • aallen8599
    aallen8599 Posts: 73
    Options
    To the person who stated something about how ridiculous you will look when you are old and wrinkly with a tattoo...Well, I hate to break it to you but when you are old and wrinkly, NOTHING may look as good as it did, with or without a tattoo! Who the hell cares! I would like to think that if I'm that old person in the nursing home, they would look at me and think, man, I bet she was fun when she was younger, and/or I wonder what story that portrays from her life.. And if they don't and they do in fact think it's gross, I doubt I will give one Sh#t!
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    When we're all at that age, half the nursing home residents will have tattoos.

This for sure!
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have one that is on the inside of my wrist but also wraps around my wrist. I got the symbol for Trinity on the inside and wrote the scripture for Luke 22:42 around my wrist in Greek.

Honestly, even though I work in a super-public, sometimes extremely conservative job, most people RARELY notice i have it until I point it out. It has never been an issue.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Serious question for you. Which looks 'dumber', having a wrinkly tattoo or getting your diaper changed by someone?