Are Wrists tattoos considered trashy??

Options

Replies

• kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I think posts and threads like this are great diversity is great .. judgement not so much.. but the cool thing about opinions is..

I in most peoples eyes ..may come across as trashy... I have a few "friends" who loved me in the winter * when I am all covered up.. and gasped because I wear wife"beaters" and showcase my artwork... They never knew I had tattoos.. OH DO TELL.

Does it bother me? yes and NO I think if someone knows you and your personality and they choose to judge you because of a way that you adorn yourself then their personal esteem issues must be far more deep and damaging then .. I can fathom ..

having tattoos is like buying armor against @$$holes. They want to judge me by a glance , and it says volumes of their character and saves me from their "hang ups"...

the short rule is this if you have to ask..and you are on the fence... I would reconsider.. but if you stand behind it go for it.. :D
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be concerned with what others think, a visible tattoo, like one on your wrist, my not be a good thing for you.
    Like it or not, people (including employers) do judge us on our image. The OP is very wise to think this through fully before making a decision.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    As long as it's cool with your employer, do what YOU want to do! I could care less about what people think of my tattoo. It's on my forearm, it's my son's birthday in Roman numerals (about 4 inches long, 1/2 and inch wide). I originally was just going to get it teeny tiny on my wrist, but my artist and I decided it would look better larger. And I LOVE it.

My parents didn't love it when I first got it, but they got over it. Somebody is ALWAYS going to think your tattoo is trashy. They just are. Who cares?? If you like it, then do it! Don't lose your job over it or anything, I mean, if your company has a policy against visible tattoos, you'll need to be able to cover it up, but otherwise do what makes YOU happy :)

ETA: I also work in a nice office that technically does not allow visible tattoos, but when I went on my 2nd interview, the HR manager and my now boss, the VP of the company said that they don't really enforce it and as long as it's tasteful, nobody cares. I got hired on the spot, despite my tattoo (I did have to take out my nose ring though). Some employers are not as lenient, but fortunately I live in Austin where basically everybody has tattoos and nobody cares.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    having tattoos is like buying armor against @$$holes.

I like this so much I may get it tattooed on myself. Excellent.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    Just keep in mind how you will feel about it when you are old and wrinkly ;) lol

I'm not old and wrinkly yet, but I imagine I'll care even less about what other people think of my tattoos in another 40 years.

This is from my 4th birthday. My grandfather would have been in his 70s. I don't recall him ever being all, "Oh, dear...what must people think of the tattoo on my wrinkly skin." :laugh: And I never thought, "Ew, why does Pop have a tattoo?! He's OLD!" It was just part of who he was.

4yearsold.jpg

Grandpa=BAMF.
    Same with my grandfather and father.

I LOVE IT. Love love love it. Rock on, gramps.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I hope not, I have one:) LOL
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have one ^.^
  • ReeRich
    ReeRich Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have one on each wrist...if u want it...get it!
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have the words "I am" on my wrist. Even my boss thinks it's cute. And when higher ups come in, I can throw on a bracelet or watch and it's covered. In other words: I don't think wrist tattoos are trashy at all.
  • KSpiked
    KSpiked Posts: 12
    Options
    Yep. A tattoo is a personal choice that isnt trashy or not trashy. But where you put one can be important.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    I agree! and how dumb are you gonna look in the nursing home when you are 85 and they are changing your diaper and you have this wrinkly tattoo above your wrinkly old butt?
    When we're all at that age, half the nursing home residents will have tattoos.

You really care that much to think that far into the future to worry about what someone may think of you X number of years from now if you get something that you like in your "youth".......omg do you have bigger problems then worrying about tattoos and diapers.
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have one on my wrist :) love it

IMAG0038.jpg
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've had a tatoo on my wrist since I was 19...it has never hindered me in any way professionally. I cover it up when I interview and really, no one has ever commented on it. However, at 31, all 7 of my tatoos seem a bit ridiculous to me, I mean, they don't carry any sentimental value and realistically, they are just markings on my body.

To each thier own but I would not focus on what others think, but I would advise to think long and hard about what that cute tatt will mean to you in the next 10 years....most likely, you won't even regard it...I know I don't
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I agree! and how dumb are you gonna look in the nursing home when you are 85 and they are changing your diaper and you have this wrinkly tattoo above your wrinkly old butt?
    When we're all at that age, half the nursing home residents will have tattoos.

You really care that much to think that far into the future to worry about what someone may think of you X number of years from now if you get something that you like in your "youth".......omg do you have bigger problems then worrying about tattoos and diapers.

I totally can't wait until everyone in the nursing home has butterfly back tattoos and has names like "Tiffany" or "Brandi." It will make my life complete to hear someone called "Grandma Brittany."
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I want to add that with any tattoo, always think it through. I have a rule- if I want a tat, I wait 6-months to a year. I put the picture of what I would want in visible places where I see it EVERY DAY. If I'm still happy with it and wanting it after a year of seeing it all the time, I get it. I literally use this as a rule though. The only exceptions are the orchid i'm going to get to honor my aunt who passed in November 2011 and a feather for my "uncle" (very close family friend) who passed in July 2008. That being said, as long as you have considered it carefully and made an informed, adult choice, then get whatever you'd like.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I have one on my forearm but am getting one on each wrist eventually.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Nope, I want the name LUCY on my wrist cause she was my first furbaby I ever had and she died almost 2 years in july.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I work for a school district....Full sleeve on one arm about 60% on other.
    I'm doing fine and I'm a gram-pa as well.
    Mine are not faded out or wrinkled up.
    You do for you!!! No one's opinion matters. Be true to yourself!!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have my kids names in an ambigram on my right wrist on the inside. I work wtih the elderly and some of htem are not tattoo friendly. I wear a watch to cover it. ;) Not trashy.

The only thing I am against is tattoos just for the heck of it, on me. All of my tattoos have a meaning. I wouldn't get a balloon tattooed somewhere just because I thought it was cute. I would need it to mean something to mark my body with it.

What's that quote? Something like "The only difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is that people WITH them, don't care if you don't have them." :)
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, there are 3 trashy tattoos:
    1) Butterfly/flower/stars/chinese symbol on ankle
    2) Tribal arm band on a guy (well more stupid than trashy)
    3) Tattoo on the center of a girls back above her *kitten* (aka tramp stamp)

I would like to clarify that I'm not condemning back tattoos. A friend of mine has this wicked tattoo that covers her entire back from butt to neck. It's also different when you have tattoos all over and you're just using the available skin. However, if you only have one tattoo on your back, putting it on the area just above your *kitten* is super trashy.

I have a lower back piece that I designed as a custom piece for my 30th birthday. It's an expression of my faith, and the pieces that needed to be incorporated and its size meant there was no other location it would fit/ make sense. If that makes me trashy, I'm ok with my faith being trash to you.

I will join you in being trashy!! We can start a club :) I have a beautiful tattoo on my lower back that I got when my husband died. It is a pair of wings and a halo over them...it is tasteful and I love it. It says nothing about who I am, it does not mean I am a slut. But hey - if that makes someone feel better to judge me...have at it! At the end of the day I sleep well knowing I am not passing half-*kitten* judgements on someone I don't know.