Did not ask for criticism

Options

Replies

• opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I think quibbling about it was just nitpickyness for the sake of being nitpicky.

My BMI was once 30. I didn't appreciate being referred to as "morbidly obese."
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    A morbidly obese man consumed zero calories for over a year in the 1970s to get down to a normal weight that he maintained. It was under medical supervision.

Yep, I was about to mention this as well, I just had to track down a reference. Here ya go!

"Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration" - yes, a man ate nothing for over a year, and lost 276 lb while under medical supervision. He did gain some back, but 5 years later was still maintaining a 260 lb loss.
    Reference: http://pmj.bmj.com/content/49/569/203.abstract

Yes, n=1 in this case, but so did the Twinkie diet that is referred to frequently.

(Note though, five other individuals had died doing a fasting study previously. And this man was given vitamins & minerals during his fast, WHICH WAS MEDICALLY SUPERVISED.)
    Help me out. The last two lines in the summary seem to contradict one another.

"These increases may be due to dissolution of excessive soft tissue and skeletal mass. Prolonged fasting in this patient had no ill-effects."

Dissolution of soft tissue and skeletal mass are not ill effects?

Good question!
  • sleepyval
    sleepyval Posts: 2
    Options
    Meant to post a mood-lightening clip; it didn't work.

Longterm VLCDs aren't healthy, but neither is longterm obesity. I would know; it killed two members of my immediate family.
    I have a friend who was on a medically supervised one; for her, it was necessary to break bad habits. After a month or so, she started increasing her calories slowly. So far, she's kept off the weight.

I don't know why we can't just support each other. Concern is one thing, but the tone of some of these posts reminds me of that one friend/family member we all have who has something judgmental to say about everything. It never works in life, no way it will online.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Maybe I read it wrong, but the first time I read the post, I assumed that the phrase "VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) are only recommended for morbidly obese individuals" was the poster's words, not a citation from any study. As such, it was the poster using the phrase "morbidly obese" to describe those put on VLCD's by doctors. Since later citations pointed at the number 30, the conclusion then is that the poster was saying 30+ = morbidly obese.

If the aforementioned phrase was actually a citation and not the poster's own words, then I misunderstood.
    I was citing the UCLA study.

Then I apologize for the misunderstanding.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    A morbidly obese man consumed zero calories for over a year in the 1970s to get down to a normal weight that he maintained. It was under medical supervision.

Yep, I was about to mention this as well, I just had to track down a reference. Here ya go!

"Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration" - yes, a man ate nothing for over a year, and lost 276 lb while under medical supervision. He did gain some back, but 5 years later was still maintaining a 260 lb loss.
    Reference: http://pmj.bmj.com/content/49/569/203.abstract

Yes, n=1 in this case, but so did the Twinkie diet that is referred to frequently.

(Note though, five other individuals had died doing a fasting study previously. And this man was given vitamins & minerals during his fast, WHICH WAS MEDICALLY SUPERVISED.)

"These increases may be due to dissolution of excessive soft tissue and skeletal mass. Prolonged fasting in this patient had no ill-effects."

True, good point. I was not saying I agreed with this method, but rather I did know that this had been documented. I'd be curious for a follow-up evaluation.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I think quibbling about it was just nitpickyness for the sake of being nitpicky.
    My BMI was once 30. I didn't appreciate being referred to as "morbidly obese."
    I think we've established that no one referred to a 30 BMI as such. I cited a number multiple studies. One made an observation about severely and morbidly obese, while another made reference to BMI numbers. The only person making the assumption that one was tied to the other was you.
  • SweetDee80
    SweetDee80 Posts: 62
    Options
    Wow. You guys are so nice to one another. It is really overwhelming. After reading through this thread you all have killed me with kindness. Huzzah!

/sarcasm.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

True, good point. I was not saying I agreed with this method, but rather I did know that this had been documented. I'd be curious for a follow-up evaluation.
    I understand that you aren't promoting the method. I just found that last part odd. :laugh:
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I find the people who eat the least are the most defensive...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    So you are using your knowledge as evidence that this impossible feat actually happened. If there are no calories, then there are no nutrients. The body shuts down and you starve to death. Death from starvation takes around 4-6 weeks.

If you had actually read my first post, 1) it referenced a case study, and 2) he received vitamin and mineral supplements.

I caught it... and edited. You must have missed that.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

they have to be because all the big kids pick on them. :huh:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

they have to be because all the big kids pick on them. :huh:

I get very defensive and angry when I am hungry, just ask the hubs...
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i think you were highly successful on getting people to stop critizing you by making this post... i mean heck 6 pages later and it seems people are just thinking your a freaking genius now for figuring it all out...

if you dont like it.. dont tell people how you do it.. just enjoy the site and keep your **** private.. simple..
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Sorry but yes it is a known fact that eating such a small amount over extended periods of time will cause your organs to stop functioning properly. Not criticising just stating a fact, but be my guest to continue as you please

Gastric bypass patients eat that much for the REST OF THEIR LIVES and are fine. Not everybody's bodies are the same.

Incorrect.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    So you are using your knowledge as evidence that this impossible feat actually happened. If there are no calories, then there are no nutrients. The body shuts down and you starve to death. Death from starvation takes around 4-6 weeks.

If you had actually read my first post, 1) it referenced a case study, and 2) he received vitamin and mineral supplements.

I caught it... and edited. You must have missed that.

Yep, I see it now, sorry! :flowerforyou:
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) are only recommended for morbidly obese individuals, under the supervision of a doctor. Even then, they "may be no more effective than less severe dietary restrictions in the long run."

Can you please provide the reference that states a BMI of 30 is considered "morbidly obese?" Thank you. (keep in mind that a 5'9" man who weighs 203 lbs has a BMI of 30).

No one said a BMI of 30 = morbidly obese

Maybe you didn't read the whole post. First he wrote this:
    "VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) are only recommended for morbidly obese individuals, under the supervision of a doctor."

Then he referenced this:
    "VLCDs are designed to produce rapid weight loss at the start of a weight-loss program in patients with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 and significant comorbidities."

And again, this:
    "Very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision in people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30. Use of VLCDs in people with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical complications resulting from their obesity."

I guess maybe I should have gone with 30.1 instead of 30...

I don't see anywhere in here where the article states BMI of 30 = Morbid Obesity. It's just one reference indicating the VLCD is typically restricted to morbidly obese individuals... and then goes on to say that it produces results in folks with a BMI of 30 or greater.

I agree that it's a bit of a crossed channel, but I think that's all and it's just assumptions being tossed about based on "recommended for morbidly obese people" and then the next line making a similar statement of it producing results, but actually including a BMI #.

Just my 0.02.

Been doing this thru the WHOLE post....

Some ppl obvioulsy have nothing better to do then sit in a forum and critique everything bcuz its not what they believe to be true.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    How the **** do people eat so little and still have the energy to post their VLCD propaganda on these forums? I'm struggling to stick with my 625 cals four times a day!

I have tons of energy, actually have way more now than I did before I started this diet...I am not posting propaganda nor am I encouraging others to do what I'm doing so why would the thread be stopped. I'm just asking people to stop telling people their diets are wrong...unless you are a doctor your opinions are strictly that .... just your opinons. I'm not aking you or anyone else to be unhealthy. I told an RN last night what I was doing and she said WOW good for you. Keep up the good work. I am NOT starving my body, I eat when I want. Good Grief I know plenty of people who eat only 500 calories a day and they've done this for a year. And they are going strong. They do it for a period of time then go up to a few more for a few weeks then back down for a few weeks...so much for starving to death in 4 to 6 weeks. And I'm sorry if you struggle with your calorie intake. To me that's what I'd eat on a normal basis without trying to lose weight.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Sigh...

This makes me sad.

I think I will go eat a 700 calorie lunch... in addition to my 600 calorie breakfast, and my planned 500 calorie dinner, and my 300 calories worth of snacks, and the budgeted 400 calories worth of Friday night beverages.
    And continue to be fit and healthy and strong with properly functioning organs.

You can eat 2500 calories and still be fit?? Is that maintenance or are you still losing? I love food- I find it difficult to keep it under 1270 unless I work my butt off...jealous! :drinker:
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    well... good luck if you ever start eating again.
    I had a friend that did that, and she gained it all back and then some.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    people seem to think because they are successful losing weight with their method that it will work for everyone. but each person's body is desgined differently what works for one doesn't work for another. you just do what works for you. don't worry about anyone else. this is your journey not there's
This discussion has been closed.