Calling all 5K times!

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    My first one was 27: something and I don't have a time for the most recent because the course was mis-marked (they had to redo the timing as a 2.6 mile). I would have been around 25 minutes based on my pace.

I'm shooting for a sub 20 minute before I get too much older and slower :smile:

Good luck to you. Take it slow and finish strong. I learned that lesson the hard way on my first race. I had to stop and walk a bit in the middle becase I took off too fast. I finished fine but was disappointed about having to walk.

Yeah, a key is to make sure you don't burn yourself out in the beginning of the race because of excitement and adrenaline!! Knowing your pace and pacing yourself while you race are key strategies!

And isn't that a great thing about running? Lol The faster you get the less time you can shave off your pr's. When you start out you can beat your pr by 3 minutes! When you get really fast you're happy to shave off 3 seconds! :laugh:
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The first 5k I ever ran was 34:20, which is an 11:05 mile average. The last official 5k I ran which was about a year ago was 29:37, which is a 9:34 mile average. A few weeks ago I ran a 5-miler in 49:49 which averages to a 9:58 mile, but I hadn't been training.

Slow and steady wins the race so I would find the pace that suits you during training and strive for something a little faster than that. GOOD LUCK!
  • ebony467
    ebony467 Posts: 15
    Options
    My best 5k is 24:06 (hills and all) it was pretty good weather as I recall and there were only a couple hills. Currently I run a 5k on a flat trail about 25-26 mins but I'm getting there :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    My best in my life was a 27:32, but that was back in my high school days, haha. My best post-baby time was 31:40; my next race I'm aiming for a 30 to a sub-30 time. :)
  • kmel2479
    kmel2479 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Did my first yesterday and had to walk a bit. Only at week 5 of 9 in C25K but finished in 39minutes. My goal was under 40 so I am happy with that. Definitely pace yourself! I saw some people that looked like they were in really great shape that came out too fast and by the end were walking. It's so much fun though so don't put too much pressure on yourself. I now know that I have tons of room to improve and that is motivation in itself to keep going!! Good luck!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Love the diversity!

My first 5k (I did a 10k as my very first road race) was on mothers day this year. I ran the Susan G. Komen race for the cure in 26:48.

It wasnt as flat as I thought it would be. Next time I do a 5k I want a flat course and to try for a 25 something.

I would figure out what your average pace is and go from there. Most people who run here and there seem to try for 30-31 min.

Good luck!
    exercise.png
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Mine is 24.45 mins... from this weekends race (my first one)!

Best of luck to you in your race hun, I had a blast!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My first time was 37:14 and I'm damn proud of it! :wink:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I could tell you what my time is but it wouldn't really make a difference

From what I have read, if it's your first 5k, anything under 35 minutes is great.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    Options
    PR 18:30, March 10 this year!

Thats impressive!
    exercise.png
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    Options
    From timing myself, I am in between 25 and 26 mins. I want to be under 25, but from the looks of it, that seems a little crazy for my first race.

I don't know - if you're running 36ish miles per week and 9 minute miles for 5m, I think you can be a bit aggressive with your goal. I don't think shooting for 25 is crazy!

I very much agree with this.
  • milliasmomma
    milliasmomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I really agree!! Go and do YOUR best! And only compare yourself to yourself! I just ran a 5k on Sat. and I ran it in 43:29. But my goal was to be under 44:00..... I have ran the same race for several years and my first time was 58:00, then I kept going faster and faster.... I only compare my time in this one race against myself! My husband and I have also done a couple mud runs! We do it for fun!!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Based on your training, set an aggressive goal. If you train at roughly 10:00/mile (and assuming you are going more than the 3.1 miles to build endurance), then you already know that just training pace will get you across the finish line at 32ish minutes. However, race environments usually get your adrenaline going and with a large number or people, the pace tends to pick up, so you can count on running a little faster. Shooting for a 25-27 is realistic. However, as others have mentioned, just smile and enjoy it -- then you will know your time and can work on beating that next time.

One BIG piece of advice (that I have a hard time following) -- start off at a good pace, NOT super fast. If you are toward the front of the pack when it takes off, I imagine you will be running at a sub-6 minute pace if you are keeping up with them. When you get to mile 2, you will be huffing and puffing and regretting going out that fast. Take it easy and if you are falling a little behind pace, use the 3rd mile to pick it up and the last tenth to sprint to the finish!

My times (since they are really not relevant to your success):

Best Adult PR (not counting HS or College running): 22:20 in March 2012

My "return to running inaugural 5K" as an adult: 34:11, cold turkey - no training Oct 2010

Best time as a youth was sub-16, but cannot remember exactly.

Greg
  • elizabethmae1214
    Options
    28 and some change. I'm gearing up for my next one on July 4th. I'm aiming for 27 or sub 27 (wouldn't that be something!) I've never been fast, but I'm working on it!

Good luck with your race!
  • elizabethmae1214
    Options
    28 and some change. I'm gearing up for my next one on July 4th. I'm aiming for 27 or sub 27 (wouldn't that be something!) I've never been fast, but I'm working on it!

Good luck with your race!

Oh, and I meant to include that my first 5k was 30 mins almost on the dot. It's crazy how you can shave the number down bit by bit if you are consistently pushing yourself.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My personal best 5K time is 29:16. On average I shoot for between 30 and 31 minutes.
  • nbkpjud
    nbkpjud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    17:58..but I was 22 and an active duty Marine...
  • mparadis718
    mparadis718 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My first and only so far was 43:01. It can only get better from there :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    PR'd at 22:25 a couple of weeks back.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Around 34 min at a moderate, consistent jog. I am not built for anything faster than an 11 min mile, but I have built up quite a bit of endurance in the last 2 months; I'm now up to 5.2 miles.