What's wrong w/ wantin 2 b a size 0 or 2?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was a size 0 and 97 pounds I am 4'11. I was very thin (fit) but very thin. I personally didnt like it, for me it wasnt the size of jean but how I feel. A jean size of 5 was perfect.:bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think size 0 and size 2 look beautiful. People seem to think being that skinny is unhealthy but so is being over weight

A lot of ppl who are 0 or 2 aren't even 'skinny', they're fit & lowered their BF%

How can you have a low BF% and not be skinny? Or is just semantics and a negative connotation of the word "skinny"? I always considered low BF% as the definition of skinny.

There is a diff between skinny and fit to me. There is nothing wrong w/ either. Skinny ppl are just small & slim. Some people are naturally that way, especially if they have high metabolisms. Fit people have definition & tone. Know what I mean? Smaller example- A flat belly makes u skinny, abs make u toned. Refer to pic.
    http://www.clubfym.com/members/images/Project2 400x305.jpg

That site is blocked at work, but it's just semantics I think.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    . But a lot of women were posting in there talking about how they have curves that just aren't going to go away. Also someone questioned how anyone could want to be a size 0 or 2. They thought 10 would b their goal pant size. Well, I'm a size 8 right now & it's not cutting it. I carry a lot of weight in my stomach & I have a small frame which causes it to bunch up basically & stick out. I will pretty much have 2 go to a low pant size to get my stomach to flatten out & I dont think there is a thing wrong w/ it. I want to be fit anyways, so I'm pushing until I am .

Depends on if you are healthy at that size. I am large boned and pretty tall (about 5'71/2 to 5'8") and I would look anorexic at that size but think that I would be pretty danged thin at a size 8. I'm also DDD cup. It isn't about clothing size but about your body structure and height. Also, some designers' size 2 is another designer's size 6. Tho my sister was 5'10" and 120 when in HS (wishes she were that size now) and she didn't look too thin at all but she is very small framed and an A cup, even when she gained to over 220 lbs in her 40's , she was only a size C cup! If you are healthy and not anorexic, then whatever floats your boat, but don't try to force your opinions on others. I'm sure that most people who die from anoxeria think everyone is too fat at a size 0 and that everyone should be as thin as them!

Luckily, I have a husband who truly loves me (as I do him) and would love me at a size 0 or a size 28 and that is the most important thing in the World to me:)
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I don't want to be a size 0 or 2. That's the same exact size as my oldest daughter and I would look downright sickly that small. I'm happy and content with where I am - which is a size 10. I don't particularly care what size someone else wants to be, as I said.. to each their own.

My one problem? Assuming that because I'm a size 10 that I am not healthy and physically fit. Fitness is not always measured by the number on the scale, so don't assume you're in better shape at a size 2 than someone else is at a size 10.

No one assumed that. Least I didn't. I totally understand. Just like sum1 who is fit in a size 10 shouldn't assume sum1 in a size 2 is sickly. We come in all shapes & sizes. Some of us have bigger frames & some of smaller. Just whatever is healthy for us as an individual.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

I also have to remember that you and a few of the other girls are only in your early twenties. Your brain isn't finished developing and you have no life experience. I was a big clueless dummy at that age too!!!!

It's not enough for you to insult someone's size, now you attack her age? Please stop, you are embarrassing yourself.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think part of it depends on your height. My daughter is 5'4" and wears a 2 or a 4. She is thin, but curvy for her age. I would not want to see her any thinner than she is. So, if a person is about that tall, or a little shorter, then a size 0 or 2 would be doable. But, if you are any taller, you just might be risking your health.

I can assure you I'm not risking my health at a size 2, 5'5", nor will I be at a size 0 (to compete). If anything, I've never been more healthy. I've dropped unecessary body fat.
    OK, no biggie. In my mind, I wasn't really trying to compare ANY tiny bit over 5'4" as for sure being unhealthy. Just using my daughter's height as my point of reference. In my mind, I was thinking I was expressing that a 5'9" person (my height) trying to be a 0 would be risking their health. But, didn't want to specifically state a number, so that someone who was say 5'8" wouldn't immediately think they were fine trying to be a 0. Probably shouldn't have used a lower number either...

There are plenty of tall women with small frames as well. Just as there are plenty of shorter women with large frames.

I give up. Nevermind, be as small as you want no matter your height. I'm going to go off and think of fond memories of a wonderful friend who literally killed herself from anexoria/bulimia. Don't bother replying.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The only thing I notice about a being a size 0 or 2 is that it makes the size 8+ women on MFP jelly. That's all.

I can assure you that as a woman who is a size 8+, I am certainly NOT in awe, jealous or envious of a size 0 or 2 woman. I couldn't care less what you do with YOUR body, but there ain't no way in heck *I* want to be that size. So, don't make assumptions about other women, mmkay?
  • shorty35565
    Options
    . But a lot of women were posting in there talking about how they have curves that just aren't going to go away. Also someone questioned how anyone could want to be a size 0 or 2. They thought 10 would b their goal pant size. Well, I'm a size 8 right now & it's not cutting it. I carry a lot of weight in my stomach & I have a small frame which causes it to bunch up basically & stick out. I will pretty much have 2 go to a low pant size to get my stomach to flatten out & I dont think there is a thing wrong w/ it. I want to be fit anyways, so I'm pushing until I am .

Depends on if you are healthy at that size. I am large boned and pretty tall (about 5'71/2 to 5'8") and I would look anorexic at that size but think that I would be pretty danged thin at a size 8. I'm also DDD cup. It isn't about clothing size but about your body structure and height. Also, some designers' size 2 is another designer's size 6. Tho my sister was 5'10" and 120 when in HS (wishes she were that size now) and she didn't look too thin at all but she is very small framed and an A cup, even when she gained to over 220 lbs in her 40's , she was only a size C cup! If you are healthy and not anorexic, then whatever floats your boat, but don't try to force your opinions on others. I'm sure that most people who die from anoxeria think everyone is too fat at a size 0 and that everyone should be as thin as them!

Luckily, I have a husband who truly loves me (as I do him) and would love me at a size 0 or a size 28 and that is the most important thing in the World to me:)

I'm the smallest I've ever been now, so I'm just sorta winging it. I just know I was a ways to go. Idk what size I will be in in the end, but it's not important. What is important is that I feel good w/ how I look & that I'm healthy, so whatever size that lands me in I will take. Since my frame is small, i think I will get pretty small, but who knows? I just dont like that tiny size being put down, kno what I mean? My coach is a 2 & she's so healthy & in shape.
    I have a hubby who loves me no matter too. I was ab a 9/10 when we met & he loved me. My wedding dress had to be plus sized :( I had gotten to like a 15 by that point w/ a lot of family drama goin on. He loved me all long. Now I'm in an 8 and nothing has changed. He supports me all the way.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I was a size 4 and 5'7 before I got married almost 5 years ago from anorexia and it wasn't healthy for me. I am a size 12 now and trying to get to 8/10 pants. Everyone is different.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    In the end, it seriously comes down to personal preference of *your own* body. No person can tell you otherwise. I want to be a 6. Some women my size want to be a 2. That's THEIR preference, not yours. Who the hell are you to tell them they need to look like you want to?

I guess this falls under my "leave everyone else alone" category of things.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    So because you didn't like the thread about people who didn't have a goal to be a 2 you start a thread against it??? No one on the other thread was making fun of thinner people, the OP just wanted to know if people had goals set at heavier weights and sizes. Generally on these boards people want to get down to their smallest range of their BMI and sometimes the women who don't start to feel like "Hmmm, am I the only person that doesn't want to be a string bean?" It's almost as if it's not ok for people to just want to be on the thicker or curvier side. We aren't "JELLY"...give me a break.

Calling someone with a size 2 a "string bean" is insulting. I'm normally of that size but I don't look anywhere near a bean pole. In fact I lift heavy weights, I'm curvy & muscular, not boney skinny like some of you think. Why do you people love to pick on slim women just because you find it "impossible" to attain? Sometimes people say it out of jealousy or because they are brought to believe that they are "big-boned" & therefore thought its impossible wherein it only takes determination to reach your goal. I used to be one of those who thought its impossible when I was still obese but guess what, I didn't expect to reach this size but it happened!

Yes not all of us can have a waist line lower than 29 inches & I respect that we all have different size goals. But calling smaller people a "string bean" is the same as calling all fat people "pigs".

Ok come on, "string bean" isn't exactly a huge insult for heavens sake. And as far as not being able to "attain" being a string bean???? Honey, I have lost 89 pounds. I can get down to a size 00 if I wanted. I just don't want to.:tongue:

Wow. I have to ask, r u in a healthy weight range for your height yet? Honest question, because its really easy to lose weight when ur overweight, least it was for me when I was overweight. The lighter u get, the harder it is to lose. Getting n2 those small sizes & lowering ur body fat % isn't as easy as u would think.

I am pretty close to being in a healthy weight range, I mean as far as the charts go, but I am pretty solid and don't have a lot of fat at all. I started out over 250 and it was NOT EASY AND I DID NOT DO IT FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It took 14 months of calorie counting and working out 1-3 hours EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!!!!!!! Even when I lost my 19 year old nephew suddenly, raising 2 teenage sons who eat everything under the sun, while I was pregnant (But I had a miscarriage) And I have been very small before. I was not overweight my entire life. I don't need to explain anymore to you people. Get off my back. My original post was because you and another girl said some nasty things about bigger girls. Now...PEACE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This from the person that says nasty things about skinn y girls.:laugh: Its their right to comment on bigger girls someone has to tell them the truth! If we were to follow your logic anyways.

You again??????? I thought I blocked you, was hoping to never see you again. Ok, so you say someone needs to tell bigger girls the truth???? You mean, just like someone needs to tell people that look totally anorexic the truth???? I am NOT nasty about thin girls. You obviously have no reading comprehension. I simply stated, and I think I have only done this TWICE on a too thin girls picture...They looked better in the before picture because they barely had any fat to begin with (from the pictures) and looked firm and healthy. The after pictures looked like something from the holocaust!!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen so much negativity about heavy people in my life, and it's on a fitness site no less. And you all act like I must be huge. I'm not. I have lost a ton of weight and look pretty damn good. I was pretty over 250 and I'm now even prettier going into the 160's. So stick it.:explode:

WOW!!! JUST WOW!!! Your kinda angry for a person who is so comfortable in her own skin...just saying , really if you woke up tomorrow and were a size two are you telling me you would eat and eat and eat until you were back your size now???
    Please ... it's good that your trying to be happy but don't call me or my friends string beans or holocaust victims if your wanting to play nice OK..cause that's not what the OP was going for.. :flowerforyou: have a nice journey

read this ..you might like it http://www.beautyredefined.net/if-beauty-is-pain-is-it-worth-this-much-suffering/
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    In the end, it seriously comes down to personal preference of *your own* body. No person can tell you otherwise. I want to be a 6. Some women my size want to be a 2. That's THEIR preference, not yours. Who the hell are you to tell them they need to look like you want to?

Someone with sense shining through! Thank you. This whole conversation is becoming ridiculous!
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options

YES YES YES. It really bothers me that some people seem to craft their weight loss goals around the preferences of others. Although the guys commenting on threads about women's ideal sizes (and some women even ask them, which troubles me in and of itself) are well-intentioned in stating they like their girls curvy/fit/etc. this is NOT about them and by commenting like that, its making it about them, which it should never be. Positive body image is about having bodily autonomy and respect to craft your body because YOU want it one way, not because someone else thinks it looks good that way.
  • followrivers
    Options
    When people say things like "size 8 women are jelly of the size 0 or 2 women" this is why those who are bigger sizes get upset. No one thinks that smaller women aren't real women if they don't have curves but let's be honest society values thin vs fat. This is why things like "string bean" don't seem as big of a deal as calling someone an insult for being fat. Not saying it's right but people generally don't see being too thin as disgusting as being too fat. I've been a size 2 and everything in between up to my current size which is a 12. Height DEFINITELY matters and anyone who doesn't think so is very mistaken. I look thinner than my friend and shes 20lbs less than me. I'm 173lbs at 5'5 and I have a small frame but look like a skeleton at 125Ibs, do not want to be below 148lbs.

My best friend recently lost over 100lbs. I'm so happy for her but also worried bc she is now about 155lbs at 5'3 and her face is so gaunt, she looks so old now, and yet her legs are still very big because she is forcing her body to a weight/size that it should not because she's obsessed with being a size 6. Yes, that weight may sound high for her height, but she is simply not made to be thin and even she knows it. So no there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a particular size if that's the healthy size your body SHOULD be, not the size you necessarily WANT to be.
  • tdyer10
    tdyer10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat! There are so many things that have to be taken into consideration! I've never been a size 2 and have absolutely no desire to be, and I'm only five feet! But, I wouldn't say a person at that weight is too small unless they appear unhealthy!

Take care of yourself and work that heart regardless of size! Everyone has their own individual goals but everyone should strive for good health!
  • shorty35565
    Options
    When people say things like "size 8 women are jelly of the size 0 or 2 women" this is why those who are bigger sizes get upset. No one thinks that smaller women aren't real women if they don't have curves but let's be honest society values thin vs fat. This is why things like "string bean" don't seem as big of a deal as calling someone an insult for being fat. Not saying it's right but people generally don't see being too thin as disgusting as being too fat. I've been a size 2 and everything in between up to my current size which is a 12. Height DEFINITELY matters and anyone who doesn't think so is very mistaken. I look thinner than my friend and shes 20lbs less than me. I'm 173lbs at 5'5 and I have a small frame but look like a skeleton at 125Ibs, do not want to be below 148lbs.

My best friend recently lost over 100lbs. I'm so happy for her but also worried bc she is now about 155lbs at 5'3 and her face is so gaunt, she looks so old now, and yet her legs are still very big because she is forcing her body to a weight/size that it should not because she's obsessed with being a size 6. Yes, that weight may sound high for her height, but she is simply not made to be thin and even she knows it. So no there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a particular size if that's the healthy size your body SHOULD be, not the size you necessarily WANT to be.

I'm same height as u w/ a small frame also, I'm 138lbs & still fat. I carry most of my weight in my tummy & while it's gotten consistently smaller I still have a long way to go. 125lbs is only 18lbs away, I can't see myself looking like a skeleton at tht size. I sorta think I'll still b chubby at tht weight. But I've never been tht weight, so I just have to wait until I get there.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Lowering BF does not always mean being more healthy. Actually, if one were already healthy the only way to get more healthy would be to get rid of a risk factor for some disease, which is technically not more healthy but it does increase the likelihood of remaining healthy. But if a woman drops her BF% too low it increases the risk of illness.

agreed, but too low would be 9% and under for women - for myself I wouldn't go under 14%
    Options
    I think part of it depends on your height. My daughter is 5'4" and wears a 2 or a 4. She is thin, but curvy for her age. I would not want to see her any thinner than she is. So, if a person is about that tall, or a little shorter, then a size 0 or 2 would be doable. But, if you are any taller, you just might be risking your health.

I can assure you I'm not risking my health at a size 2, 5'5", nor will I be at a size 0 (to compete). If anything, I've never been more healthy. I've dropped unecessary body fat.
    OK, no biggie. In my mind, I wasn't really trying to compare ANY tiny bit over 5'4" as for sure being unhealthy. Just using my daughter's height as my point of reference. In my mind, I was thinking I was expressing that a 5'9" person (my height) trying to be a 0 would be risking their health. But, didn't want to specifically state a number, so that someone who was say 5'8" wouldn't immediately think they were fine trying to be a 0. Probably shouldn't have used a lower number either...

lol, no, I totally get it. Didn't mean to come off so defensive, kinda something I'm used to, so I too apologize
    Options
    This is why things like "string bean" don't seem as big of a deal as calling someone an insult for being fat. Not saying it's right but people generally don't see being too thin as disgusting as being too fat.

maybe in your eyes, but in my eyes string bean is completely insulting and is no different than "fat" bashing. It's all bad and should not go on. We should not worry about others bodies, etc. and take care of our own.
  • Josh
    Josh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, weight, body-type, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Fish
    MyFitnessPal Forum Staff
This discussion has been closed.