Is there anyone on here not looking to be a size 2?

Options

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    lol, size what????????? Girl no size 2 is for 9th graders......I am a real woman!

Oh and this is just plain offensive. Some of my tops are US size 2s. Am I not a real woman because I'm naturally quite petite?

It's sad to see how limited is the experience of some people on this forum. Hate to break it to her, but I see lots of Size 2 women on the street.

In addition, the most expensive clothes tend to be made in smaller sizes because wealthy women are generally slimmer. It's just a fact.
    Yeah this is also true.

Here's a sample size chart. Most designers follow the similar ones, but most are still different. sizechart.gif
    That's a size chart for Tory Burch if anyone was interested

I think people should focus more on measurements rather than some random size made by a random store. I can go to one store and wear a 0 but in another store I wear a 4. The numbers really don't matter.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    For me,size is just a number,just like age is just a number. I think the size you feel the best in is what you should go with. Today sizing is more vanity sizing. Vintage sizes are so different,consider a 1940's dress pattern size 12 is equal to a size 6 today:-)

Oh how I wish more people realised this! I buy a lot of vintage clothing and you really do have to be so careful with looking at the sizes they put. If you buy online, most vintage clothing stores will ask you to go by your measurements, not your dress size. Numbers have got smaller on the labels to make us feel better and thus buy more clothes.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My sister is naturally tiny, even after having her child she can still prance around in a bikini and look like she was never pregnant. But my sister's bone structure is very small. Even though she and I are about the same height (5'4.5) my wrist is at least two inches thicker than hers at the bone.

So do I ever think I can be as small as my sister? No, I can never be a zero, I don't even have hopes of making the single digits size wise. For one, I have more chest and hips than she does bone structure wise I am a totally different build from her.

But can I tone my body to the point where I am kick *kitten* and hopefully still curvy? Heck yeah I can! And I am going to, just you watch and see :). Weight wise I am thinking anywhere in the 160 to 150 range will be good for me but we will see when I get closer to that range. My body packs on muscle pretty thick right now but I am not sure how things will be once I'm not carrying an extra 100lbs around all the time :).
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    lol, size what????????? Girl no size 2 is for 9th graders......I am a real woman!

Oh and this is just plain offensive. Some of my tops are US size 2s. Am I not a real woman because I'm naturally quite petite?

It's sad to see how limited is the experience of some people on this forum. Hate to break it to her, but I see lots of Size 2 women on the street.

In addition, the most expensive clothes tend to be made in smaller sizes because wealthy women are generally slimmer. It's just a fact.
    Yeah this is also true.

Here's a sample size chart. Most designers follow the similar ones, but most are still different. sizechart.gif
    That's a size chart for Tory Burch if anyone was interested

I think people should focus more on measurements rather than some random size made by a random store. I can go to one store and wear a 0 but in another store I wear a 4. The numbers really don't matter.

According to that, I'd be a 2 in jeans, but here in England, in most stores that would never happen. I'm a US 4, sometimes a 6. It just goes to show you how arbitrary a number dress size is. I always try and look at the store's sizing charts for measurements. Who really cares what the label says? Unless it's hanging out the back, no one sees it but you anyway.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    No way. I am 5'9". A size 2 would kill me.
  • victoria4321
    Options

According to that, I'd be a 2 in jeans, but here in England, in most stores that would never happen. I'm a US 4, sometimes a 6. It just goes to show you how arbitrary a number dress size is. I always try and look at the store's sizing charts for measurements. Who really cares what the label says? Unless it's hanging out the back, no one sees it but you anyway.

Exactly. The sizes are so arbitrary that it doesn't even matter. Even if you fit the measurements for their jean sizes, some brands will cut a wider or slimmer thigh so you just have to try everything on.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Exactly. The sizes are so arbitrary that it doesn't even matter. Even if you fit the measurements for their jean sizes, some brands will cut a wider or slimmer thigh so you just have to try everything on.

True. Story. Right now I wear anywhere from an 8 to a 12, so I just say I'm a 10 to simplify. And even in jeans, I have 3 pairs of jeans in the exact same size that are 3 different brands (True Religion, Citizens, and 7FAMK) and they all fit differently. Like freaking Goldilocks and the 3 bears, True Religions are too small, 7FAMK are too big, and the Citizens fit just right.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Not me... I'm 5ft 2, 135, and wear between a size 6 to 10. I'm not sure I could get to a size 2 unless I starved myself... :indifferent:
  • Ke1ra78
    Ke1ra78 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Not me! Im 5'2" and aiming for between 125-130lb. No idea what size ill be then. Im a 12/14 now at 148 so hoping bout a 10.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I’m 5'9" and looking to get down to around 170 which should be a good weight for me. It was recommended by my doctor and at the lower portion of the healthy BMI for me. I have a large frame and build muscle fairly well so I should look real good at that weight. As far as what size it will end up being I have no idea at all and couldn’t care less. I am in a smaller size than I used to be at this weight so know it will be smaller than what it used to be for that weight just have no clue as to what it will be.
    As long as I feel good and can maintain it without starving myself I will be happy. Won’t know until I get there and I may have to readjust as I go along. Pick something that works for you and that you can maintain as well. You don’t have to be part of the crowd.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Where are you from? I generally find that people are less shocked by the notion of smaller clothing sizes in parts of Europe.

Also, I really wish I could say I was wealthy :(

NYC. It's known for being a slim city compared to many other U.S. cities. There's are tons of thin people.

I've taken classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology, and have seen many young, very naturally thin people who are into fashion. There are also a number of Asian foreign students, many from Korea right now, and the vast majority are petite, tiny, tiny, little women. I feel enormous, and I'm 5'2" and 101 pounds. (I'm only half-kidding about feeling like an elephant.)

When I get better at sewing, I think I will look into Asian pattern books because at least on top I'm built more like a small Asian woman. I've also bought from brands like Ferragamo because Italian and Japanese women (big part of their sales demographic) are smaller so they things that will fit me.

I wish I could say I was wealthy as well. I'm not, but I know something about clothing sizing.

But anyone who has lived in a diverse setting, or on either of the Coasts (especially NY, LA, or SFO) or been abroad knows that Size 2, while small, is not that rare.
  • VanGroovyBear
    Options
    I'll never be size 2. If I can get to 8 in pants and 6 in a dress I will be the happiest girl in the world.
  • victoria4321
    Options

NYC. It's known for being a slim city compared to many other U.S. cities. There's are tons of thin people.

I've taken classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology, and have seen many young, very naturally thin people who are into fashion. There are also a number of Asian foreign students, many from Korea right now, and the vast majority are petite, tiny, tiny, little women. I feel enormous, and I'm 5'2" and 101 pounds. (I'm only half-kidding about feeling like an elephant.)

When I get better at sewing, I think I will look into Asian pattern books because at least on top I'm built more like a small Asian woman. I've also bought from brands like Ferragamo because Italian and Japanese women (big part of their sales demographic) are smaller so they things that will fit me.

I wish I could say I was wealthy as well. I'm not, but I know something about clothing sizing.

But anyone who has lived in a diverse setting, or on either of the Coasts (especially NY, LA, or SFO) or been abroad knows that Size 2, while small, is not that rare.

I live in NYC too and I feel like the smaller sizes are more common, if anything.
  • georgia_ann40
    georgia_ann40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2"... I have no urge to be 111 again. On my frame, I just look ILL at that weight. I will be happy between 130-135 :)
    My goal is to be able to shop in MY closet for my summer clothes... to be toned and healthy!
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No way!!! I'm 5'5 1/2 (yes, I love my extra 1/2"!!!) and my happy weight is 150 and a size 10. I'm curvy and strong! It's funny, because when I look back now at photos of myself at that weight I think wow, I was so trim! But I always thought I was fat and "needed" to be like, 120. Now I know better!!!
  • cocoa_cutie513
    cocoa_cutie513 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No interest in a size 2! I'm 5'5 and currently 160lbs. I like how I look right now, but know I could look even more awesome. My goal is 140-145lbs. Once when I worked out really hard I got down to 135lbs. My mom pulled me to the side and was honestly concerned. She wanted me to stop and felt like I was getting to thin.

I think sometimes people don't see what others see, even when looking in the mirror. Happy weight loss journey everyone!!
  • mfpcopine
    Options

I live in NYC too and I feel like the smaller sizes are more common, if anything.

Yup. Occasionally, I'll forget and see someone (especially a teenager or person in his or her early 20s) and think, Wow, s/he's thin. Is s/he healthy?

Then I'll realize they're just young. :smile: I was always thin, but as I'm short, I never was willowy or skinny.

I'll sometimes see much older people and wonder what they're doing to be so thin. Are they smoking? Are they on drugs? Do they having amazingly fast metabolisms? I saw Mick Jagger on Saturday Night Live recently and I could not believe how thin he was.
  • victoria4321
    Options

Yup. Occasionally, I'll forget and see someone (especially a teenager or person in his or her early 20s) and think, Wow, s/he's thin. Is s/he healthy?

Then I'll realize they're just young. :smile: I was always thin, but as I'm short, I never was willowy or skinny.

I'll sometimes see much older people and wonder what they're doing to be so thin. Are they smoking? Are they on drugs? Do they having amazingly fast metabolisms? I saw Mick Jagger on Saturday Night Live recently and I could not believe how thin he was.

I know right. There are some super thin girls around union sq, east side area where I work and I wonder where they even shop. A lot of stores the smallest sizes are like a 24/00.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    No. I want to be a 0.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

I know right. There are some super thin girls around union sq, east side area where I work and I wonder where they even shop. A lot of stores the smallest sizes are like a 24/00.

A few years ago, I went to a sample sales place on W. 36th St. www.clothingline.com I couldn't believe how narrowly cut some of the clothing was. If you weren't built like a petite 14 year old, forget it.

The department stores eliminated their Petites Departments several years ago. Some companies sell petite clothing online, but that's touch-and-go because they all cut clothes differently.