Greek Yogart - how do you eat this stuff?!?

Options
_HeathBar_
_HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
So yesterday I picked up some greek yogurt to try a recipe out. Basically it was just a cup of yogurt, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and cocoa power mixed together.

It looked good but it tasted gross...I decided to "spice it up" a bit by pouring some of my favorite cereal into it. That made it bare-able to eat but still not something that I would want to eat again.

So my question is, how do you make this stuff taste good? I was hoping I could turn it into some kind of high protein dessert dish.

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I mix in the fruit that comes on the side of the cup =)
  • Manabug01
    Manabug01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    with fruit and/or flax or chia seed. If no fruit, I have to put like 1/4 packet of splenda in there. Lot of people do honey..
  • Manabug01
    Manabug01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    but cinnamon and nuts are a good way to kill the taste a bit, granola if you like the crunch. Polaner makes sugar free jams and preserves at 5 cals per tablespoon. So i've been doing a tbls of blackberry preserves in 1 cup of yogurt. You'll get used to the taste lol
  • pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani's plain non fat greek yogurt. There is 23g of protein in a cup! I mix it with Kashi Go Lean cereal (13g protein) I also add greek yogurt to my smoothies with my protein powder along with a banana.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think you should experiment with different brands, too. Buy the single-serving cups until you find one you like.

I don't like it plain, but with a little PB and cereal mixed in? :love:

It's also a nice sub for sour cream -- you might like it better this way.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    fruit and granola.
  • SaraADaigle
    SaraADaigle Posts: 51
    Options
    I like to add spices to it and use it as a chip dip :))))

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Garlic-and-Herb-Yogurt-Dip-MyRecipes-265353
    (check that one out)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain. It's nom nom nomlicious.

Sometimes i'll put in some cinnamon. But it's good for you, and my health and fitness is tastier than fat.
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani Mango....sooooo good! I also do the Sugar Free preserves with it. I actually prefer greek yogurt over regular now!
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    I am not sure what brand you are buying but I think you dislike the tart taste. I like Oikos and Fage because they are thick and tart. But, Trader Joe's brand is thinner and much less tart. I think that might appeal to you. Splenda is a good idea too.

I like it with F-Factor Skinnies cereal with berries. It is high protein and high fiber and it keeps me full.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what brand you are buying but I think you dislike the tart taste. I like Oikos and Fage because they are thick and tart. But, Trader Joe's brand is thinner and much less tart. I think that might appeal to you. Splenda is a good idea too.

I like it with F-Factor Skinnies cereal with berries. It is high protein and high fiber and it keeps me full.

Splenda is bad.
  • captnemo44
    captnemo44 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i use 1 packt stevia and fruit
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I add 1T of peanut butter, 1tsp honey, cinnamon, 1tsp cocoa powder, and today 1/2c blueberries. It's delicious.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I put some Kashi GoLean Crunch at the bottom of a small bowl, sprinkle a little bit of sugar in the greek yogurt and stir it (you don't need a whole lot, it's not gonna kill ya) then top the cereal with the yogurt and add fresh or frozen strawberries or raspberries. It's freakin' good and looks so cute.
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani's plain non fat greek yogurt. I have also been known to add a tablespoon of Nutella to the Fage greek yogurt. :love:
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    1 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 package sugar free Jello cheesecake mix, 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, some strawberries, and chocolate chips...delish!!!! I also tried some today with 1 cup yogurt, 1/2 package sugar free Jello banana cream, 1/2 scoop vanilla protein, and 2 T pb2 and it was pretty good.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i tried it once.. didn't like it. dropped it. i don't even like plain laban but i can tolerate it if i put strawberries and steviana in it. i've been thinking of trying again but now i read your post LOLOLO maybe n ot
  • alikrorp225
    alikrorp225 Posts: 54
    Options
    I would also like to know which brand you tried. I've been thinking about switching over from my beloved Yoplait light(strawberry and very cherry are my faves). I know the Greek version is better for me, but I've heard friends talk about the taste, so I've been hesitant.

For anyone: What brand would you recommend, knowing how much I love, love, love the above mentioned regular yogurts? I don't mind the tart taste, but it has to taste good or it will waste away in my fridge. ;)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know which brand you tried. I've been thinking about switching over from my beloved Yoplait light(strawberry and very cherry are my faves). I know the Greek version is better for me, but I've heard friends talk about the taste, so I've been hesitant.

For anyone: What brand would you recommend, knowing how much I love, love, love the above mentioned regular yogurts? I don't mind the tart taste, but it has to taste good or it will waste away in my fridge. ;)

Dude... Chobani black cherry with fruit on the bottom, hands down. It is effing amazing. And it is way better for you. Lots of good protein and cultures. And it tastes so dang good. Arghgh I want to roll in some right now.

... but like I said, if you're wanting to go plain and dazzle it up, get Oikos plain greek, add Kashi GoLean crunch, mix a little sugar into the yogurt, and top with fresh or frozen fruit. So so good.
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    mmm... love Danone Oikos 0% Plain with some sugar-free raspberry jam and a bit of granola mixed in... I let it sit in the fridge for an hour+ so the flavors blend... yummy!