Greek Yogart - how do you eat this stuff?!?

Options

Replies

• ETsambouris
    ETsambouris Posts: 51
    Options
    My son, who is the pickiest eatter EVER, loves it! I add a tsp of chocolate milk syrup and he eats it like it's goin outta style
  • cchartzell
    cchartzell Posts: 18
    Options
    Ok, I didn't read all the replies so maybe someone already mentioned this. But you can try weaning yourself off high-sugar yogurt by mixing it in with your greek yogurt and gradually changing the ratio. It will give your taste buds time to adjust. Better in my opinion than trying to choke something down that you find really disgusting.

So start with 4 oz greek and 4 oz regular flavored yogurt. After a few days try 5 oz greek 3 oz regular... on and on until you are happy with the ratio. Your tastes will adjust and after a while a cup of regular yogurt will taste like swallowing a sugar packet.
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    I get the Chobani plain non fat. I usually mix it with something, but I am starting to be able to eat it plain, the only thing I have found that I didn't like was when I mixed it with Ezekiel almond granola, neither have much of any sugar or a ton of flavor. Here are some ways I have used it...
    -Mixed with most granola's
    -Mixed with fresh or frozen fruit
    -Blended in with a protein powder and skim milk or water
    -Sub'd for sour cream in any recipe
    -1/2 greek yogurt 1/2 cream cheese cheesecakes (skinnytaste.com)
    -I have added it to alfredo to get more creamy goodness with fewer added cals
    -Make ranch dip out of it for veggies.
    -Add a bunch of cinnamon to it
    -Add a little fat free pudding powder to it and eat with graham crackers
  • smifford
    smifford Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat plain greek yogurt (chobani or fage) with Barlean's Fish Oil Omega Swirl, Mango Flavored (http://www.barleans.com/literature/2009/Lit 214 Fish Oil SS.pdf). I know what you are thinking...Eeww, fish oil but I swear to you it tast like a smoothie (it is sweetened with xylitol). Two teaspoons of the fish oil (45 calories) with 6 oz. of greek yogurt will fill you up and really taste great.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Wow, there are a lot of suggestions here. It might be easier to find a different snack, but that's just my opinion. I am not a yogurt fan anyway.
  • SaraADaigle
    SaraADaigle Posts: 51
    Options
    I like to add spices to it and use it as a chip dip :))))

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Garlic-and-Herb-Yogurt-Dip-MyRecipes-265353
    (check that one out)
    I do this too. A little canned chipotle and it makes a fabulous dip for vegetables (ARTICHOKES!).

I love chips and dip .... and this is a good way for me to eat it without bombing on my calories ... I don't like greek yogert and never eat it ... unless it is in dip form :))))
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I mix in the fruit that comes on the side of the cup =)

What he said. I can't eat the stuff straight without that fruit stuff it comes with. Plain greek yogurt tastes like shiz. However, I've recently started using it in the place of sour cream for cooking. (I don't use it to top dishes, as I want REAL sour cream for enchiladas and things. :love: )
  • kkwtp
    kkwtp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go with Chobani, much better than Fage. I add some agave nectar and fresh berries. I've also added honey and some granola and pumpkin seeds. It grows on you. I started with the fruit flavors first then gradually went with the plain. Now the fruit ones are just too sweet. Hope you find one you like. :wink:
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different taste buds, so favorites/likes will be different from person to person. Fage may be someones favorite and your least favorite. You should try them all out and see what works for you. If I am eating plain greek yogurt, I tend to put in 1/4 cup of a crunchy kashi cereal loaded with protein and fiber, plus a half of a packet of truvia and some fresh fruit. I'll limit the amount of fruit on the bottom ones I eat because of the amount of sugar they have in them. :)
  • tdyer10
    tdyer10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    make it into a smoothie! With frozen fruit and almond milk!
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    I am not sure what brand you are buying but I think you dislike the tart taste. I like Oikos and Fage because they are thick and tart. But, Trader Joe's brand is thinner and much less tart. I think that might appeal to you. Splenda is a good idea too.

I like it with F-Factor Skinnies cereal with berries. It is high protein and high fiber and it keeps me full.

Splenda is bad.
    I totally agree on Splenda being bad. Try agave nectar - the amber, not the light, if you want to sweeten it up a bit.

Yes and there is literature that agave nectar is bad for you too.. I could find even more articles stating the same thing.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Granola, linseed and fruit, every morning for breakfast. I look forward to it every day. :smile:
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    fruit,granola,honey,jam.
    or i use it as salad dressing n ad feta and cucumber to it n onion n stuff
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I do 1 tsp vanilla extract andd 1/4 cup plain oats. Its kinda like a yocrunch

I also use it inplace of sour cream and mayonaise
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I usually add a bit of Stevia or Truvia to it and some fruit. A good dessert is to add chopped walnuts and some sugar-free chocolate syrup. I've also added agave to sweeten it.
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I heat my oatmeal w/water (to cook oatmeal) rather than milk & then mix in the greek yogurt; sometimes also add cinnamon (cuz I love cinnamon) - I find greek yogurt is not so strong this way.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i mix in frozen fruit, usually berries, and 1 tbsp of sugar fee raspberry jam, (did this when i was on the 17 day diet) it was good like this, or i buy Oikios fruit on the bottom in single serve containers and bring to work with me
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've never tasted greek yoghurt. What is the difference between this and normal yoghurt? (and taste difference)
  • JennyLu3
    JennyLu3 Posts: 26
    Options
    Personally, I can't stand the plain greek yogurt. If you haven't already tried it, try getting vanilla or strawberry (Chobani is tasty!), and it might be little easier to handle.
  • CB_SFO
    CB_SFO Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fage is the best tasting Greek yogurt just adds a little honey and your favorite fruit (strawberries) and you'll love it.