Greek Yogart - how do you eat this stuff?!?

Options

Replies

• skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan at first, but now I love it. I finally figured out that I didn't like any of the "sweet" varieties like honey or vanilla. I really like the Chobani lemon and the Fage - any flavor that is a tart fruit.
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I mix agave nectar & fruit in greek yogurt.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later! But I like to add sunflower seeds to mine and I buy the Chobani Strawberry/banana or the mango. Since it has a lot of sugar, I scoop up the yogart and leave most of the jelly fruit at the buttom. It still has that fruit taste but less sugar.

Good luck!
    Sheila
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble relating to this thread; I love Greek Yoghurt on its own! At least, the Fage product in the earlier pics.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I usually get the greek yogurt with fruit in it already. But I put a 1/4 cup of Back to Nature Granola (I get it at Publix- Vanilla Almonda Agave is my favorite flavor) and eat it with the yogurt. My coworker does a cup of plain, fresh strawberries, cinnamon and 1/4 cup of sliced almonds--it looked DELICIOUS when she brought it to work. She ate it as her lunch, but I would TOTALLY make that as a dessert.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what brand you are buying but I think you dislike the tart taste. I like Oikos and Fage because they are thick and tart. But, Trader Joe's brand is thinner and much less tart. I think that might appeal to you. Splenda is a good idea too.

I like it with F-Factor Skinnies cereal with berries. It is high protein and high fiber and it keeps me full.

Splenda is bad.
    I totally agree on Splenda being bad. Try agave nectar - the amber, not the light, if you want to sweeten it up a bit.
    Splenda isn't bad. Is it nutritious? No. However, it isn't bad for you. All the "it must be organic" and "all processed food bad" folks can be so annoying.

Myself, I've tried several brands and like them all. I do know people who don't like the texture though. Make sure you look at the label as not all have the same amount of protein. It can vary by quite a bit.

I eat it regularly for breakfast and also make a smoothie:

1/4 frozen strawberries
    1/4 frozen peaches
    1/4 cup plain white greek yogurt
    1/2 water
    4 packets of Splenda (may be too sweet for some taste)

Blend.

181 calories. 0 fat. 18 grams of protein. 7 grams of fiber and it tastes great.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I sometimes throw in a serving of PB2, which gives you more protein without the extra fat and calories of regular peanut butter.
  • jleed53
    jleed53 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    add some stevia to it! and cinnamon... yummmmm
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OMG... never thought of PB!!! I LOVE PB!!! Doing it tomorrow morning! THANKS!
    I don't like it plain, but with a little PB and cereal mixed in? :love:
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Tastes too much like sour cream.....stuff makes me gag. I really wanted to like it too since it is higher in protein that regular yogurt but just couldn't get past the sour cream texture
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I never like yogurt with chocolate protein powder. I like vanilla with frozen strawberry and blueberry.
  • beckyluvsgeckos
    Options
    there are some really good ideas here.

bumb for later. :)
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have at least one Chobani every day for breakfast, mixeed with Kashi go lean crunch. Black cherry, Raspberry, lemon, mango, peach & Blood orange are my favorites. I'd like the pomegranate & passion fruit except for the seeds in it.
  • BDRunyan
    BDRunyan Posts: 3
    Options
    If your looking for something to eat a bowl of with fruit and granola I'd recommend 0% fat plain yogurt. Greek yogurt is meant to be a condiment. It's made from goats milk so its got a much sharper taste (in the sense that cheese can be sharp).

If you want to use Greek yogurt try using it as a condiment for curries, gyros and other regional things. You can also turn it into a far more interesting and tasty condiment called tzatziki by adding shredded cucumber rind, fresh garlic, lemon juice, dill and salt. Chili peppers or paprika also can be added.

Edit: Also, Big Macintosh is best pony.
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I buy the stuff that is already vanilla flavored and then I put in frozen fruit and let it melt. By the time the ice around the fruit has melted, the consistency is more like regular yogurt, but you still get the protein :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know which brand you tried. I've been thinking about switching over from my beloved Yoplait light(strawberry and very cherry are my faves). I know the Greek version is better for me, but I've heard friends talk about the taste, so I've been hesitant.

For anyone: What brand would you recommend, knowing how much I love, love, love the above mentioned regular yogurts? I don't mind the tart taste, but it has to taste good or it will waste away in my fridge. ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGH0B1iunfn7MkRq2AIMAhr21QkOvpSrUoMZK3Kw2qtKYEdBb2
    ^ This is the stuff I got
    That's the stuff you should have.
    Oddly, that's my least favorite brand. I like Greek Goddess the best.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use plain fat free greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream. I also like it with lots of fruit, maybe some granola, and a bit of honey. My fav though is to buy the Chobani fat free fruit varieties, and scoop them up with crunchy granola bars for a yummy snack.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't like the plain or vanilla ones. I do love the ones with the fruit on the bottom. Dannon Oiko's is probably my favorite brand.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Tastes too much like sour cream.....stuff makes me gag. I really wanted to like it too since it is higher in protein that regular yogurt but just couldn't get past the sour cream texture
    Hmm...that makes sense because I love sour cream and greek yogurt, though I limited my sour cream for obvious reasons.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Easy. I hated Greek yoghurt too. And then I discovered if you add a teaspoon of honey (runny kind,like orange blossom) it changes the taste completely.

Add to fresh fruit or no sugar muesli - you'll soon be hooked :-)
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    Chobani fruit flavored one.. never plain, never..lol