Greek Yogart - how do you eat this stuff?!?

Options

Replies

• BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I never used to be a big fan of yogurt but now I eat Greek Yogurt everyday!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    with frozen blueberries and raspberries, half a banana and pumpkin seed & flax granola. Yumtastic.
  • KitchenBabe
    Options
    Greek Gods is THE best ever. Hands down. I have tried them all.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I switch between Fage and Chobani those are my favorites..plain...I use it as substitute for sour cream, mayo, and pretty much love to add fruit and almonds to it for a "parfait" of sorts. I can tell you when I first had it I was coming off of MAJOR sugar all the time diet so it tasted boring to me...after a few months of eating veggies, fruits, and other basically "clean" food my tastebuds did change quite a bit...I know don't need that super sweet yogurt.
  • felicity_phillips
    Options
    I found a super recipe on tumblr the other day for greek yogurt popsicles!

The recipe link is: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgkfatwGiI1qglcsho1_400.png

:)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's more of a spread than yogurt. I would spread it on something, or dip fruit into it or something. It's so much like cream cheese, I couldn't eat it straight. I tried to put some granola on it, and it just felt like granola on cream cheese.

I think it would be delicious in place of cream cheese, though, with chopped chives or spring onions on an english muffin. Or even with a piece of smoked salmon.

I know people just love the stuff, but then again, nobody likes my homemade yogurt except me, so... this is one area where we may be the exception. I find the texture of greek style yogurt, in general, to be kind of gross.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I guess since I just like it plain I'm not much help lol...

But if you get the vanilla flavor and mix a third of a scoop of vanilla whey into it and a packet of stevia sweetener or a teaspoon of maple agave nectar, it's a great breakfast!!
  • gfj2009
    gfj2009 Posts: 1
    Options
    I tried greek yogurt and didn't like it either. I actually hate the texture of yogurt in general, but I absolutely love (and will willingly eat) Kroger brand Carbmaster yogurt. They have tons of flavors most of which are delicious.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I either add a tablespoon of honey or puréed no sugar added frozen fruit
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt with seasonings as a dip with raw veggies. Also every morning in my protein shake for added thickness and creaminess. Took me a little while to develop a taste for the sourness of the Greek yogurts but now I like it.
  • kaytlynjones
    kaytlynjones Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i really think for most people greek yogurt is an aquired taste! i think once you realize how good it is for your body and curbing your hunger in the mornings you learn to like the taste of it a little better :wink:

I love plain greek yogurt with fresh berries,a little bit of natural vanilla flavoring (YUM)
    a lot of people put splenda (i use the kind with fiber/vitamins in it!) and cinamon is another tasty addition!

GOOD LUCK!

(oh last week a friend made cucumber rolls using nonfat greek yogurt, fatfree feta, sun roasted tomatoes and a few spices. really tasty!)
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    make a spinach dip with it....with kale, spinach, onion, lemon, water chestnuts & spices....

I eat it as a dessert with kashi go lean crunch on top and honey drizzle

as a sour cream sub..
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I love Fage Greek yogurt. I use it place of mayo all the time when making tuna or deviled eggs. I also make a sort dip out of it for fruit. I use the greek yogurt, a bit of whipped cream cheese, some sugar free Torani syrup (i like strawberry) and a tsp or so of sugar free jam (again I liek strawberry). Mix it all up and use it as a fruit dip. I also make dips and sauces for veggies and meats with it using the same basic formula but changing the flavors. The sugar free Torani syrups are the best way to flavor it and it comes in so many flavors.
  • santanagirl95
    Options
    For starters, Greek Yogurt is the most foul and disgusting crap I have ever tasted. I would just use low fat plain yogurt.. There are a lot less calories than the regular yogurt and guess what? Its not so disgusting! :) Better yet, go for the low fat flavored yogurt... and mix your protein powder in it.... I don't know. It works for me... :)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I use it in my smoothies..... that's about it lol
  • minnielovesmickey
    minnielovesmickey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love my Greek yoghurt with almonds, half a banana & a squirt of pure honey.
    G.Y. is perfect for brekkie or a snack during the day.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I prefer Fage 2%, I think it tastes less tart. I cook with it some -- using it in place of part of the mayo in a recipe, etc.
    Last week I used it to replace some of the sour cream in a Beef Stroganoff recipe.

I LOVE it with honey and fresh strawberries (or peaches, or raspberries...)
    I mix it with peanut butter and dip apples in it.
    A little maple syrup, banana and granola is good....

I DO feel like it needs some sweet to counteract the slightly sour flavor, but I like it!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    If you like the texture, experiment with different brands, they can taste very different.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Honey and Vanilla.
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    Yikes, it was probably the protein powder that made it taste bad. Those things are gross, not to mention expensive and unnecessary.

I like using mine like I use sour cream: in soups, with chips or veggies as a dip, or spread on bagels, as a binder in salads (think potato or tuna.)

Also, adding a drizzle of honey and a tap of cinnamon makes for a delicious treat :)