Greek Yogart - how do you eat this stuff?!?

Options

Replies

• Strawberrypop
    Strawberrypop Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love greek yoghurt..especially with honey over Hawaiin muesli (from Asda!). mmmmm. Prob not too healthy though!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I picked up some greek yogurt to try a recipe out. Basically it was just a cup of yogurt, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and cocoa power mixed together.

It looked good but it tasted gross...I decided to "spice it up" a bit by pouring some of my favorite cereal into it. That made it bare-able to eat but still not something that I would want to eat again.

So my question is, how do you make this stuff taste good? I was hoping I could turn it into some kind of high protein dessert dish.

Buy 0% Strawberry Chobani. If you don't like that you just don't like Greek Yogurt and call it a day.
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    http://skyr.com/

Anyone try Siggi's? Icelandic Yogurt.. it's soooooooooooo yummy. Beats all the others. Visit the site above.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fage is my favorite. I buy the 0% and add honey or get the flavors, especially raspberry.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love it with vanilla flax granola and a few chocolate chips for dessert!!

I also like it with fruit or honey.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I like vanilla greek yogurt with vanilla almond granola. it's the only combo that I've tried and actually liked. I don't like regular yogurt at all though, so I'm surprised that I actually liked that!
  • 7daisygirl7
    7daisygirl7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the plain Fage 0% and add a single packet of Splenda and about a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract. Then I add my favorite fresh fruit (raspberries are the best). Tastes like you're eating fruit with whipped cream - delish!
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    with a spoon?
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I eat it about 30 minutes AFTER I take my anti-nausea medicine. And usually still vomit.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Here's a site that lists a protein shake base recipe. You can use either cottage cheese or Greek Yogurt for the base, and then various things for mix ins.

I eat the Oikos Key Lime Greek yogurt with a packet of Truvia mixed in and it's omg..gooooood! Tastes like Key Lime Dessert. I'm not kidding!~ It's sold out a lot of the time tho.

Try this site, it's amazing:

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/
  • arwass2
    arwass2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I add in leftover cold brown rice (1/4 cup) and 1/2 cup non fat greek yogurt and a couple of fresh berries. splenda/truvia are optional but I find the fresh berries sweeten it up perfectly.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the plain fage 0%! It is my favorite! Try adding in 1/2 serving of crushed walnuts and 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, it is about 300 calories of pure deliciousness
  • LBxLB
    LBxLB Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Honey usually does the trick for me because Greek yogurt on its own is gross
  • jjohnboy2000
    jjohnboy2000 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't like it on its own but mix it with granola, honey & fruit.
  • WVWahine
    WVWahine Posts: 3
    Options
    Chobani Black Cherry and Chobani Pomegranate are the BEST! But I think you just have to experiment to find which brand you prefer. And, let's face it, whether it's good for us or not, not everyone likes everything so don't beat yourself up if Greek yogurt isn't your thing. :-)
  • heartofdorkness
    Options
    I would also like to know which brand you tried. I've been thinking about switching over from my beloved Yoplait light(strawberry and very cherry are my faves). I know the Greek version is better for me, but I've heard friends talk about the taste, so I've been hesitant.

For anyone: What brand would you recommend, knowing how much I love, love, love the above mentioned regular yogurts? I don't mind the tart taste, but it has to taste good or it will waste away in my fridge. ;)

Whatever you do, DON'T buy Yoplait's Greek yogurt. It's not real Greek yogurt (it's "Greek style" though they fail to put that on the label), the texture is all wrong, and it tastes horrible. Dannon Oikos is my personal favorite, but Chobani and Fage are also good, like everyone else has suggested.

I keep my yogurt simple: I buy the plain stuff and add fruit, a little honey, and occasionally granola or cereal. I sometimes stick it in the freezer for a few hours and have it for dessert. (But note that it changes the texture. It's kinda like eating rock-hard, slightly flaky ice cream.)
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It makes my protein smoothies creamy! Love it!
  • wruper
    wruper Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Non fat plain greek yogurt tastes good in place of sour cream for things like cucumber & onion salad. I like non fat plain with just some Splenda as a snack. I have also searched on line for recipes and there are so many sites I can get lost in them.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I picked up some greek yogurt to try a recipe out. Basically it was just a cup of yogurt, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and cocoa power mixed together.

It looked good but it tasted gross...I decided to "spice it up" a bit by pouring some of my favorite cereal into it. That made it bare-able to eat but still not something that I would want to eat again.

So my question is, how do you make this stuff taste good? I was hoping I could turn it into some kind of high protein dessert dish.

I totally agree the stuff tastes like @ss. Greeks got this one wrong because there is no way I will try to eat that stuff again.:sick:
  • Laurenbjones12
    Options
    I add fruit like a few sliced strawberries, blueberries, granola, and top with table spoon of honey and it taste great. I also use greek yogurt in protein smoothies. Mix 1 container greek yogurt, chopped ice, bannana, other fruit, protein powder, and honey, and a little milk. Great protein breakfast or snack!