Greek Yogart - how do you eat this stuff?!?

Options

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    1 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 package sugar free Jello cheesecake mix, 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, some strawberries, and chocolate chips...delish!!!! I also tried some today with 1 cup yogurt, 1/2 package sugar free Jello banana cream, 1/2 scoop vanilla protein, and 2 T pb2 and it was pretty good.

Ok this sounds pretty good and I actually have banana cream Jello in my pantry too!
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    I like it with Stevia and true lemon, frozen blueberries. Or some SF Lemon jello pudding dry mix and blueberries. Or reduced sugar (not faux sugar) jam -- I've been partial to a brand thats 25 cal a tablespoon at costco, can't remember the name. It doesn't say 'reduced sugar', but it is.

Note: I HATED greek yogurt the first few times I tried it. But then I made a concerted effort to wean myself off of the pre-flavored stuff, get down to plain yogurt where I was adding my own flavorings. Suddenly, it didn't seem so tart. Now I even like tart frozen yogurt, which I use to despise. And plain frozen kefir 'ice cream', which has a really nice fresh and tart taste.

Also, I've yet to come up with a chocolate mix of my own that I've really liked in greek yogurt. Sprinkles, yeah, but mixing cocoa in just doesn't do it for me. I go for citrus flavors first, usually with berries. Lemon is certainly a fav.

If it was for a protein drink, I'd still be dosing it heavily with lemon, probably frozen blueberries. I think I'm in a rut with that... heh.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know which brand you tried. I've been thinking about switching over from my beloved Yoplait light(strawberry and very cherry are my faves). I know the Greek version is better for me, but I've heard friends talk about the taste, so I've been hesitant.

For anyone: What brand would you recommend, knowing how much I love, love, love the above mentioned regular yogurts? I don't mind the tart taste, but it has to taste good or it will waste away in my fridge. ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGH0B1iunfn7MkRq2AIMAhr21QkOvpSrUoMZK3Kw2qtKYEdBb2
    ^ This is the stuff I got
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    You don't. You can only camouflage the texture and taste.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I mix it with peanut butter and chia seeds. If you want it sweeter, add a little maple syrup.
  • lovelysummerbabe2012
    Options
    Fruit and honey <3
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it.

I eat mine with honey or fruit. It's delicious like that.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Mix in sugar free chocolate pudding mix. Makes a chocolate mousse. :)
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Here's a good dessert recipe with greek yogurt. http://www.ingredientsinc.net/2010/10/banana-bread-with-greek-yogurt/ I ususally use whole wheat or almond flour and agave in place of the sugar. My husband loves it...has no idea it is healthier for him:)
  • jennynoel
    jennynoel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's kind of an acquired taste I think. I didn't really love it at first but kept eating it and now I wouldn't touch regular yogurt. I love Chobani vanilla. I'm still not a fan of the plain stuff but it is a good substitute for sour cream.
  • furbutt
    furbutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop of chocolate protein powder in it with a cup of sliced strawberries and it is delicious!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like to add spices to it and use it as a chip dip :))))

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Garlic-and-Herb-Yogurt-Dip-MyRecipes-265353
    (check that one out)
    I do this too. A little canned chipotle and it makes a fabulous dip for vegetables (ARTICHOKES!).
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    On everything! I use it for baking my primal protein bread to make it moist. I use it instead of sour cream. It's great with some fresh berries and a little honey too. There are endless possibilities!
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    With a spoon, generally. ;)

But seriously, try the Zoi brand. It's the least tart that I've found, and is really, really good.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I mix it with steel-cut oats and agave or honey...good stuff ;)
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    I would also like to know which brand you tried. I've been thinking about switching over from my beloved Yoplait light(strawberry and very cherry are my faves). I know the Greek version is better for me, but I've heard friends talk about the taste, so I've been hesitant.

For anyone: What brand would you recommend, knowing how much I love, love, love the above mentioned regular yogurts? I don't mind the tart taste, but it has to taste good or it will waste away in my fridge. ;)

Obviously we all have different opinions, but I like Oikos Organic 0% yogurt. I don't like any of the kind that come with those jams on the side because that is pure sugar. I don't even buy the kind with honey on the side. I don't like regular yogurt at all because of the texture. I guess that is very specific. LOL
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A lot.

I think it tastes amazing and eat the low fat stuff by itself, not as creamy as the proper stuff but still gorgeous.

Or I have my cereal with it instead of milk.
  • PinkShoe24
    PinkShoe24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the plain stuff but a friend hooked me on the Oikos Key Lime. It's become a staple for me when I'm looking for a dessert!
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Chobani plain non fat yogurt with fresh sliced strawberries, Kashi Go Lean cereal and flax seed. All mixed up....yummy and filling.
  • suzq90
    suzq90 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try Chobani apple cinnamon!! It tastes like apple cobbler, especially if you add a little granola to make a parfait