The Wife

Options

Replies

• d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    nah no big deal I'm sure he's just trying to be funny. I refer to my oldest son as "the boy"

I do that too! I refer to my children as "the girl" and "the boy" when talking to family members. I have never said "the husband". I don't think I would be offended by being called the wife though.

"The boy" and "the girl" is how I refer to my children, as well.
    I work with my father-in-law, so how I refer to my wife depends on what I'm about to say, so it's either "Your daughter" or "my wife".
  • bekah_ann13
    Options
    LOL I call my husband "the hubs" and "the husband" when referring to him... hmmm I never thought it could or would be deemed as inappropriate or offensive ever... but I call him his pet names to him... also that is what he is logged in on my phone as ha ha... Got to love that man!
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    Nah, I was always just the wife and he was always the hubs. I guess it depends on their relationship and how he means it.

...Now he's the ex, but that has nothing to do with being called "the wife" haha.
  • jdaniels52509
    Options
    I guess it really kind of depends how he's saying it. If he's talking about things that they do together or something about them or something she did ( other than complaining about something she did) then chances are he's not disconnected from her at all "the wife" is just what he calls her.
  • amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    Options
    My husband refers to me as "the wife" occasionally... but he also calls me baby. Neither name bothers me because he isn't being sarcastic or mean, hes' being sweet. Those are his terms of endearment, I guess you could say. If he calls me Amy or "dear", I know I've done something that really got up into his undies!!!!
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    He must have multiple wives, can't keep the names straight.

For me it's TROPHY WIFE, thank you very much!!!

I would take this offensive! What is she a prize that you won?
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    No. I actually told my husband that I want him to refer to me as Wife.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I am "The Wife"

And he is "The Hubby"

My dad (and his dad) all referred to their wives as "the ole lady."

I'd be obliged to hurt hubby if he ever tried that within ear shot of me :)
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had a coworker who referred to his wife as "The woman who lives at my house" lol
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I worked with a guy who ALWAYS referred to his wife as 'THE WIFE". He never used her name, never said "my wife". It was always 'THE WIFE". Is this offensive the "THE WIVES" out there?

Personally it wouldn't bother me. I have heard my husband refer to me as "The Missus" - seriously I thought nothing of it. Can think of far worse titles actually pmsl
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    The wife isnt bad. Anyone who thinks that is bad is way too sensitive and uptight. All that matters is what she thinks. Its better than the b*tch, Satan, It, the old lady or the ball and chain. As for me if I get marrie, boy or hub would be better than what im usually called by women.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am "The Wife"

And he is "The Hubby"

My dad (and his dad) all referred to their wives as "the ole lady."

I'd be obliged to hurt hubby if he ever tried that within ear shot of me :)

LMAO, yeah I have to admit I would not relish being called The Ole Lady either :laugh:
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I refer to my boyfriend as "boyfriend" or "the boyfriend"

Same.

I wouldn't have an issue being "the wife" :)
  • robinregina
    robinregina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chocolateismypoison
    Options
    I'd have been grateful if my X had said that but he never referred to many people by name he usually called me Oi or Errm, it wasn't until we were divorced that I realised that is how he spoke to everyone including our Daughter and his Mum (and his current wife). At school I was always known as Louise's Sister, drove me nuts. My counselor says I must say to people, if it's important enough that you wish to speak to me then I am important enough for you to use my name. I think that kind of sums it up for me :)
  • robinregina
    Options
    I had a coworker who referred to his wife as "The woman who lives at my house" lol
  • robinregina
    Options
    that's a good one
  • beauty2323
    beauty2323 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My husband refers to me as "my wife"... if he's writing a FB post he would write "the wife"....... but he calls me babe!... but I really don't care. When he says my name I know something is wrong LOL
  • Hairotica
    Hairotica Posts: 24
    Options
    I hate it. The WIFE always seems to be used as a title for someone who 'doesn't understand me', gets cheated on and is unsexy etc. I think sadly that being a wife doesn't get the respect it deserves tbh
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I often call mine 'the boss' - but in a joking manner ;)