The Wife

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that does that though with all of his family. It took me years to find out the names of his wife, son and daughter and grandkids. He literally refers to them by their relatedness

"Going to take Wife to the doctor then visit with Daughter and Grandson". I'm like.... Robot much? These people have names... I'm not the CIA!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I refer to my wife as "The Wife" at times. I also call her wife at times as in, "Hey, Wife! Can you get me a beer?" She understands the comedy so she is not offended.
  • jenbooks
    jenbooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well, since I refer to mine as the husband, I'd better not have a problem with it. I'm secure enough in my own person that "wife" doesn't bother me.

Now, if he said "ball and chain", we might have a problem. :D
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I find it quite chauvinistic . However i guess if he married her he loves her - I'd rather my husband called me that, then didn't marry me at all and called me his "partner". I know its a personal choice but I always feel a bit sorry for people who have been in relationships for years and years and still have to do that.

thats another whole can of worms tho!

you shouldn't feel sorry for other people's choices. That is often called being judgmental =)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    That wouldn't bother me. He may be talking to someone who doesn't know my name and it's just easier to say "the wife" or "my wife". I call my boyfriend "the boyfriend" to people who dont know his name.
  • AmadaLynn
    AmadaLynn Posts: 116
    Options
    I find it quite chauvinistic . However i guess if he married her he loves her - I'd rather my husband called me that, then didn't marry me at all and called me his "partner". I know its a personal choice but I always feel a bit sorry for people who have been in relationships for years and years and still have to do that.

thats another whole can of worms tho!

you shouldn't feel sorry for other people's choices. That is often called being judgmental =)

No you should not at all. Ever think that people who are not married and have a "partner" are just as happy if not more happy than most married people are?

I have been in my relationship for almost 10 years, house, cars, and 2 kids later I am not married, why? Simple, I do not need a piece of paper to define me.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The wife, wifey, boo, baby mama....all in good fun :) normally it's babe though, it would be weird for him to call me Samantha!! Although I do use his first and middle name quite often! He hates that...Dennis Kerry!! haha
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I refer to mine as "The Ex"...is that offensive?

That's a heck of a lot better than what I call mine. Just sayin'. LoL

Ditto!!
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My husband calls me the wife all the time. And I call him the hubs. And our kids are the big and the little. Lol!
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Just this morning my husband told me to "move my fatass" so he could get in the drawer for a knife to make the boy's sandwiches. LOL! We are very raunchy.......
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    People are too sensitive these days. The only thing that I think most women cringe at is calling your wife Momma. LOL.

I call my husband "Daddy" and he calles me "Mama", we did that while our kids were little and it just stuck. People look at us like we are crazy out in public when we say it but it just slips out since we are so used to it after 15 years of it. Since we are in our early 30's though it just seems odd to people I think.

When talking ABOUT my husband to others and he isn't around I use his name if they know him. If they don't know him I say my husband. Same for him about me.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    As with everything, it depends on the context. Since I see that they have divorced, I'm voting for detached and perhaps demeaning. My ex would say TO ME "I miss my family" when he was traveling. I always found it odd and disconnected. It's like talking about yourself in the third person...which he has done too. But since he is narcissistic and controlling and has anger issues, it all goes together.
  • hyperionguy
    Options
    People are too sensitive. Through tone, I can easily make the allegedly more P.C. "my wife" sound possessive and/or degrading.

Like literally anything else, it all depends on HOW it is said and in what context and intent.

Yes, I use 'the" for most references and it works for all involved. Especially at work where I don't expect to burden people with remembering names plus the relationship associations of every person in my extended families.

When talking to family members I refer to my only sibling, a brother, as "the other one". My parents think it is cute and have picked it up themselves. I like, but it is also helpful to everyone because my best friend has the same name as my brother and telling stories or referring to who called can get very confusing.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I prefer "The Boss"
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it....I think it's a cute statement....I have even seen it on a GUY CAR!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If my husband calls me by my actual name, then I know I'm in trouble ...

SAME HERE! LOL!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    wouldnt bother me but on a similiar note my finacee' calls his son "the boy". Ex: I'm going to go pick up the the boy from his mothers. Me and the boy are going to dinner.
    This drives me insane. I told him its like the child has no importance or real name.
  • jerilph
    jerilph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    :heart: I wouldn't find it offensive although my husband calls me his better half and tells people he is my bottom half. After nearly 29 years of marriage I'm happy he is still with me. Most of my family has two or marriages under their belts. He also calls me his bride, I think that's funny after so many years. I call him babe.