The Wife

Options

Replies

• Sphilips1909
    Sphilips1909 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some men refer to us as "The Wife" becuase little do they want to admit we are "The Boss". LOL, J/K
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My husband does that. I have to admit it irks me. It's like "the boss" or "the ex" it has a negative conotation to it. I have a name.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I would hate this but I love being introduced as 'this is my wife Athena'.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think if it was constant it would annoy the crap out of me. If it was occasional and intended to be humorous then it would make me giggle.
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I refer to mine as "The Ex"...is that offensive?

you just made me giggle out loud! That's not offensive at all! :)
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I call mine "The Boyfriend" or "Boything"... I just feel weird using his name around people who don't know him, hah.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Eh-no. I've been 'the wife' for almost 17 years. I don't care if he calls me the old lady, either. It's all good. :smile:
  • heretocount
    Options
    I don't think so its kinda a funny say'n,
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    My husband calls me "the old lady" sometimes. It doesn't bother me. I call him a creep and a jerk all the time....in a loving way, of course. :wink:
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    We do things like that (married 10 years very happily ;P) It really depends on the tone.

I really think "the wife" is cute. I call him "the hubby" and we call our son "the boy" quite often. Most of the time if the hubby is calling for me in the house he calls me Toots, which I like because it feels old fashioned and cute. I call for "babe" a lot but since our son is Gabe that doesn't always work because they sound the same from a long way away LOL!

Whatever "pet" names people use are personal and as long as it doesn't bother them then it's no big deal.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law said that was one of the many reasons for her divorce. My hubby (her son) knows never to call me that.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    do you work with me??? I have a guy at my work that refers to his whole family like that,,,its either "The Wife" or "The Daughter" and "The other Daughter" "The Father-In-Law" or The Mother-In-Law" I've worked with him for 8 years and to this day, I have no idea what their names are...
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I find it quite chauvinistic . However i guess if he married her he loves her - I'd rather my husband called me that, then didn't marry me at all and called me his "partner". I know its a personal choice but I always feel a bit sorry for people who have been in relationships for years and years and still have to do that.

thats another whole can of worms tho!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My husband will say my wife and call me by name. I wouldn't like to be called the wife all the time but I don't find it offensive. I questioned my husband on it and he thinks its offensive. lol. I think some men might find it more offensive than the women that are being referred to.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I call my hubby by his nickname out in the world but I call him by his first name in the house and around his family...we are very close. We have friends that have a really great relationship yet the husband's ring tone when his wife calls is the Darth Vader's Death March. I have seen a few people wrinkle their brows at his ring tone thinking it is disrespectful of his wife. She however suggested it once and thinks it is funny. It can be hard to figure people sometimes.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Me and my hubby pretend to get frustrated with each other and we will refer to each other as "WOMAN!!!"
  • krleeqmayna
    Options
    Sooo true...we never use each others names unless irritated or mad...
  • AshlyRamos
    AshlyRamos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I refer to mine as "The Ex"...is that offensive?

That's a heck of a lot better than what I call mine. Just sayin'. LoL
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of when I was working at a coffee shop and was serving an old man. I said to him, "Would you like a bag for that, sir?". He grinned at me and said, "No, that's all right. I got an old one at home."
    We both had a good laugh xD
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I would be ok with it... My husband calls me that sometimes. He likes saying it. (we've only been married two years and he he loves introducing me as his wife :smile: ) so no I don't think its offensive.