Why can't I enjoy men looking at me??

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i've always felt that 90% of what a trainer says is false. now i know it's 100%.

HA
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Forget the trainer. You've obviously worked hard and it's showing. I know I still have a hard time taking compliments.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think you're FINE!!! Your trainer was probably just trying to protect your thinking, because honestly, in situations like this, it is likely that a person leaves their spouse after a huge transformation. But if you are confident in your marriage, love your husband, and he loves you, then I think you are ABSOLUTELY FINE loving your new body. It's natural to want to look good and feel good about it too! Congrats on the weight loss!
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    Could be your trainer just has high moral standards- not anything wrong with that in my opinion. I personally do not like the attention I'm getting now that I'm getting back into shape. Now that I'm married, it makes me downright uncomfortable when guys flirt with me. It used to make me feel good- but now it just makes me feel weird. Compliments I can take, but the overly sexual stuff some guys say is just plain uncomfortable.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    What occurred to me was that s/he's afraid that if you feel content in your new body, you'll stop the training sessions, resulting in less income.
    Sounds like turf protection to me.

This was my first thought as well.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    or his wife cheated on him.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between pride and vanity.

I think your trainer is right. You shouldn't be getting your self worth from the fact that men are now willing to have sex with you. It's fine to be flattered and feel good about it, but it sounds like you are taking WAY too much out of a few compliments.

I like to think of it like this: If that person's opinion didn't matter to me when they thought I was a fat slob, why would it matter to me that they think I am hot? My self worth is tied up in so many things other than my physical attractiveness. A compliment can surely make a person's night but you should not base your self esteem on men staring. Don't let it go to your head, men will hump anything that moves.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Ugh, he sounds like a bit of an *kitten*. Get a female trainer who will high-five you and say YEAH GIRL when you tell her stuff like that!

^^^ This.
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    Options
    He was only feeling convicted and trying to cover his own shame of checking you out himself!
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Wow....men will hump anything that moves?! You aren't around very good men. Shame on you for saying that to her.

Your trainer is a dumbass. You should appreciate your success. Some people let it go to their head, but that doesn't mean you will. If your husband doesn't have a problem with it, neither should you! Good for you girl!
  • mcourtney09
    mcourtney09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between pride and vanity.

I think your trainer is right. You shouldn't be getting your self worth from the fact that men are now willing to have sex with you. It's fine to be flattered and feel good about it, but it sounds like you are taking WAY too much out of a few compliments.

I like to think of it like this: If that person's opinion didn't matter to me when they thought I was a fat slob, why would it matter to me that they think I am hot? My self worth is tied up in so many things other than my physical attractiveness. A compliment can surely make a person's night but you should not base your self esteem on men staring. Don't let it go to your head, men will hump anything that moves.

Yeah I totally wanted to have sex with all the guys that paid me compliments...

And I definitely don't get my self-worth from what men think about my appearance...I KNOW that I am a smart and caring person who does what she thinks is right for the world as much as she can.

How do you know how much I am getting out of it. I said it made me feel good and it made my husband feel good too...
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Your op was like a giddy little girl. That makes it seem like you're taking a few compliments way too seriously and I bet that's what your trainer thought too. Its not healthy.
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank him for his service thus far, then FIRE HIM!!!
  • Miss_Suzylee
    Options
    not to be a joy kill-cause i do agree his comments were kind of a-holeish, but i know someone who is a trainer and i often hear how frustrating it is to train people who are obviously in it for the wrong reasons. so while i dont think he should have said anything to you or should have been that blunt about it-maybe it just hit a sore spot with him because he wants you to do it for YOU and not for other people's approval. it would be an over-reaction on his part....but it's an idea. just so you don't think it was entirely about you, perhaps it just comes with the trainer territory.

What are the "wrong" reasons? My reason may be different from yours, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Lol dont get defensive, I was saying from his perspective it may seem as the wrong reason to be motivated.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    So I went out last Friday with my husband and I wore a sexy little dress that 30lbs ago I never would have DREAMED of wearing. My husband was loving how sexy I was looking and apparently some other men in the bars and clubs were too :)

I got some comments that I LOVED because I never got that attention before in my life....and my husband liked how his HOT wife was getting all those appreciative stares.

Today I was talking to my trainer about it and how it made me feel good and he said it was wrong that I was excited and happy about those remarks and stares and that he doesn't want me to get too full of myself and that I shouldn't be working out so that I get attention from men...I'm married and shouldn't care.

I was quite PEED! I was excited because I was getting attention that I had always felt jealous of in college. I'm not acting on anything...I am just feeling good about myself for ONCE in my life.

I had to vent this...but has anyone else received any negative comments about how good you feel about yourself and how you are ENJOYING attention?....aren't we supposed to take pride in what we've worked so hard for??

Your trainer is a dumbass.

BIG dumbass
  • lalapurple62
    Options
    my high school gym teacher used to say that to me as i showered

ewwww that is so wrong on so many levels.....hope your not at that school now
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence here. He could be an a-hole or he could just have been well meaning and it came out completely wrong.
    Personally, I would talk to him about it and see how he explains himself. Depending on his answer, you'll know where he was coming from and decide from there.
    If it turns out that he's a bit of a pig, but you are comfortable training with him and don't want a new trainer, keep the relationship strictly business and don't bother telling him anything personal.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I agree that he was probably just trying to make sure you dont get complacent.

Also though, I think there are a lot of people that feel something is missing until they finally get the body they want, and once they start getting attention they let it go to their head a bit. How many people have spouses that love them an stick by them through years of their partner being/becoming overweight, only to find themselves dumped because their now thin partner decides they can 'do better' or 'want a new start'.

Im not saying in any way theat you're like that, but your trainer is maybe just trying to make sure you dont go down that path.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Enjoy every complement you hear because you worked hard and you deserve it. Tell your trainer to STFU and enjoy the spotlight!! :happy:
  • fatfox13
    fatfox13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sod what your trainer says or thinks!!! You have had a positive reaction to all your hard work, so enjoy it, appreciate it and keep going! If something makes you feel good about youself then it cant be bad! Congrats you, i cant wait to lose weight :) xo:drinker:

p.s as for the posters on here who agree with your trainer....jealous much?? I think so, ignore them ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!