Do you count calories in Fruit and Veggies?

Options

Replies

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat, but I don't worry about the calorie count in any raw vegetable, green vegetable, or steamed vegetable, or any fruit at all. I don't weigh them, I don't care how much I eat of any of them, and I do not deny myself any of them. I do limit my starchy vegetables (squash, potatoes) and I do limit other starches like rice, but otherwise I fill myself with as many veggies and fruits as I feel like.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Only if I put them in my mouth and swallow.

That's what she said.

Giggity.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist that I used to go to, told me I shouldn't log veggies,but to log fruit. A big part of this was because I was under eating and not realizing it. I log them now though, but I don't worry about going over if I know I ate a lot of veggies that day.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I lost weight faster when I ate a TON of fruit with some veggies. Digests differently because of the fiber and water content.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I log them! Every little thing counts!

I do try to make them a big part of my diet though :)
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes, sure do.
  • SkinnyGlimmer
    Options
    I guess I count calories EVERYWHERE! :/ Calorie King is good for finding out how many calories is in some foods so I use it :3
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    What? why would you not count calories in fruits and veggies?? Thats crazy talk. Its food, so count it! Those people that dont are just fooling themselves and are probably way over there daily caloric total and dont even know it.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    You bite it you write it!!! They have calories and the logging is so important to know where you are in your caloric consumption. Other than plain water I don't consider any food a "free food" IMHO
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I absolutely track them. A banana has around 100 calories depending on size. Apples...around 80. Some vegetables are more calorie dense than others as well. It all adds up.
    fruit can be very energy dense, so I do!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    They are probably thinking the weight watchers frame of mind. I definitley count them here but dont stress over whether my fruit was small, medium, large etc...
    This.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I've heard people say when counting calories, you don't have to add calories from fresh fruits and veggies. What do u think? Do you?

Are these people doing Weight Watchers? They have a program where you don't count fruits and vegetables. I think that's not a smart move, unless someone is the type to not eat fruits and vegetables just because of the calories and then overeat on junky foods instead. But in general, be accountable for every calorie you take in. Besides, it's encouraging to log produce and see how much of the good stuff you're eating.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Count everything! Veggie and especially fruit calories, sugar and carbs add up fast. While they are good for you they are not "free food". There is really no free food and if it is....it isn't real food :)
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I log everything, but I do sometimes guess with my lower calorie vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli etc) though I do weigh it from time to time to make sure I have a grasp on what sort of weight I'm looking for, I also guess with my morning berries, but I know that I over estimate (I buy a 125g tub that lasts me 3 days, I always log 50g blueberries)
    28848 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Everything except lettuce.....I don't count lettuce...I mean how much is a "cup" of lettuce....

All other things definately!
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I consider myself on a "modified weight watchers" plan, so no, I don't count them...BUT I also don't eat my full number of calories everyday, because I know that I add some in for fruits and veggies. It seems to be working for me so far, but I'm open to changing my strategy if I hit a plateau or stop losing. One thing--I only consider fruits & veggies a "free" food if I eat them plain. So if I eat it fresh or cook it but don't add anything to it, I count it as a freebie. But if I add butter or sour cream or anything, I generally count the calories from the whole dish.

For me, I think it's a mental thing. If I'm hungry, I know I can always eat an apple without worrying about how many calories is in it. It really encourages me to snack on healthy fresh fruits and veggies.

Ultimately, though, it's about what works for you. This is working for me right now, and I know that it might not continue to work once I lose more of my considerable weight to lose. If it's something you want to try, give it a shot for a week or two and see how it goes.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes, If I eat it I track it. And remember.......a calorie is a calorie, whether it comes from fruit,veggies,meat, etc.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Absolutely... a calorie is a calorie plus I want to know how much veggies/fruits I have and how that affects my health. I haven't been doing so good lately (budget issues) but when I have a bit more money to spend it will get easier again. Right now it's pretty much lettuce, broccoli, and frozen veggies.
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    And remember.......a calorie is a calorie, whether it comes from fruit,veggies,meat, etc.

Not to change the subject, but this reminded me of Dr. Seuss "a person is a person no matter how small" and brought a big smile to my face!
  • ggof
    ggof Posts: 41
    Options
    i second guess the mainly water-based cals of cucumber or tomatoes or asparagus but i always count the cals for beetroot or banana !