What drives you CRAZY about your gym??

Options

Replies

• kslappy
    kslappy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I belong to the YMCA and there is one location that hasn't been updated and they still have carpet in one of the rooms where they hold the exercise classes! YUK! I hate coming in contact with it and it makes me sick!!!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is unhappy people in the gym. Some of you do this:

You go in all focused on what you have to do...some with headphones, some without...and you look right through everyone as if they don't exist.

Is a smail and a wave really going to break up your zone thing that much? I don't think so.

Headphones or no, I am glad to be alive and able to get on a machine and do some work. I say hello, I smile and wave. Sometimes I even (heaven forbid) strike up an actual conversation.

Stop taking yourselves so seriously people.

Also, I'm sorry- I don't go to the gym to be social and be best friends with people and talk and get distracted during my workout. I do exactly what you say- I put on my headphones and I ignore everyone else. If someone says hi I will say hi back, but don't even try to start a conversation with me and screw up my workout and focus! >:o!

Yeah... I was confused by his complaint. The gym isn't a place I generally like to go to socialize. It's nothing but an errand on my list of things to do. It's 1 or 2 hours of my day I'd rather be doing other things... so I go in, do my thing, and get out.
  • misspatrice562
    misspatrice562 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hate that kids club is closed on Sundays! Moms (especially single moms) need the weekends to workout! It's much more feasible than week days. So kinda sucks!

HATE when someone next to me on a machine is on their phone talking RIDICULOUSLY loud on thier cell phone. Even with my headphones on I can hear the convo. If you have an important convo . . . get OFF the machine and go stand off to the side somewhere. geesh! lol

Don't hate this but think it's so hilarious when you are in a group class and there's always the "showoff" who tries to out do the instructor and add things that the instructor isn't even doing to "show off". lol

And I agree with everyone else about those that do NOT wipe down the machines after use when their sweat is everywhere. gross!

Oh and I hate when people are using machines when it's super crowded but "barely" because they are talking on their phone. Someone can be burning some major calories! lol . . . if it's not crowded who cares but when there are people waiting for a cardio machine and u are going super slow on the elliptical because you are having a 20 minute conversation with a friend, step off and let someone else use it to it's full potential! lol :)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    2.) Men who take up all the room where the free weights and dumbbells are. Women like to use those too, thanks.

So it annoys you when guys use free weights? You want us to go take a zumba class or something just in case a female wants a turn in the squat rack?

But seriously, everyone is free to lift weights, you might just have to wait your turn like everyone else.
  • mrobinson0805
    Options
    The phone thing drives me nuts!!!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    The phone thing drives me nuts!!!
    can't you just wait til the day they are embedded in our brains and we can think to other people without disturbing anyone else?
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i go to my local YMCA and what drives me crazy is seeing some of the people that come in there to work out in street clothes. jeans and timberland boots. one day during the winter i saw a lady in there on the treadmill with a freaking goosedown jacket on. furry hood and all! jogging on the treadmill. i cant make this stuff up people.
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My gym opens @ 5:00 am weekdays, but not until 8:00 am on weekends. I wish they opened earlier. Maybe 4 am every day.

I thought mine was bad and opening at 7 on the weekends, of course they don't open until 5:30 during the week! I would love the 4:00 AM opening. (But then they've been known to have problems getting people to work at 5:30...)
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Omg haha, he seems pretty rude! My pet peeve from the gym is when the trainers working there come over and talk to you while your working out. They are really nice but when i go to the gym i like to be on my own with my ear phones in!

Unfortunately mine is quiet the opposite pet peeve because the trainer at my gym is HOT! If anything I hate it when he DOESNT come and talk to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But on the other hand, I hate when there are 20 kids in the HUGE pool and 1/4 of them like to get in the tiny "swimmers" lane to play and everyone looks at them like aww how cute.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In no particular order:

1. Idiots who curl in the squat rack.

2. CrossFit wannabes who horde all sorts of dumbells, bars, boxes, etc. Not only do they do this, the do so in spaces where people have to move throughout the gym.

3. Not un-racking your plates and dumbells.

4. Slamming dummbells and loaded barbells.

5. Using benches, boxes and machines as a convenient place to put their water bottles, jackets, etc.

6. Talking on the phone.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Omg haha, he seems pretty rude! My pet peeve from the gym is when the trainers working there come over and talk to you while your working out. They are really nice but when i go to the gym i like to be on my own with my ear phones in!

YES. There is one trainer at my gym who is a really nice woman... and a total motormouth. I work out in the mornings before work-- I'm on a schedule here, lady!! I have no problem smiling and saying hello, but I cannot afford to shoot the crap with you for 10 minutes without either being late to work, or shorting my workout, and neither of those choices is okay with me!!!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm only able to make it to my gym during peak hours, so I end up having to wait to use all of the equipment or grab a set of weights. It turns what should be a 30-45 minute workout into two hours, most of which is standing around. The inability to reliably be able to grab any equipment makes it impossible to time my pre-workout supplementation right.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Short weekend hours (7a-7p). Not enforcing the "size limit" of fitness classes. The second floor gets ridiculously hot. I also wish they would offer fitness classes later, the latest start is 7pm, and that is hard for me to make.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Well I use my gym at my apartment and what drives me crazy is they don't open til 7AM! I'd like to be able to get in there around 6AM. It's stupid they lock it anyway because we have keys to get into gym. They lock the main, top lock. So stupid. I get maybe not wanting people to go and use indoor pool during the night but then just lock that door. Any apartment I've had before their gym is 24 hrs if not opens really early for those that work. Just another thing I don't like about this place.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    gotta say...i love my gym. I workout at Planet Fitness. It has all the equipment I need, is clean, and there are no lunks... The cost is only $20 to go to any Planet Fitness gym, or $10 for the one location, free-tanning (i don't partake). And best of all.....they don't harass me about stupid classes, and if I bring someone to workout, there is no sales pitch...sign-in...bring your guest...go workout..its great.

also open 24hrs throughout the week....very useful

*sorry i have nothing bad to say.....well they do have FREE Tootsie Rolls....is that bad?
  • Windy32
    Windy32 Posts: 54
    Options
    People who do not wipe down the equipment after using it.
    People who try to join the classes 15 mins in. If you really wanted to come to the class you would have been on time.
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i love my gym for the most part but i spend a lot of time in the women's only room which has a bike machine 2 ellipticals, a stair elliptical (slightly different than the elliptical) 2 treadmills, and about 14 different weight machines plus a mat, some free weights stability balls and an aerobics step. the room is constantly hot. they dont air condition it but there are 3 small fans which doesnt keep the room cool. the room door is connected to the locker room so we keep that open with a weight at the door and we move the fans if theres not a lot of other people in there to direct at us. i rarely go to the main area UNLESS one of my workouts on the printed papaer i get for my routine involves something not in the women's room. (so not often) i am shy and very overweight so i dont like working out in front of alot of men.
    plus the zumba class i go to is always full. i have children (4 of them) and i have to get a babysitter in order to go to the gym at all and the only time i can go is the evening class but its always pretty full which sucks. i have to get there early or risk being stuck by the door and risk getting hit if someone comes in or leaves while the class is in session.

oh and i wish they were open 24 hours on weekends too. or at least open later... (8-8 which means i cant workout late on sundays which i would prefer instead of having to get up at 7am to get there and workout at 8am)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I work out at my college gym, and since it's summer hours, they aren't open at all on the weekends. I've even brought back my bike from home so I can still get cross-training in on Saturdays if I want to before long runs on Sundays.

Also my gym only has one good bike with a bike seat that doesn't make you feel like you sat on needles for the last 40 minutes. And if that bike is taken, I refuse to even do my workout. I'll turn right back around and go for a run outside instead.
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The women who think it's appropriate to get all dolled up and wear a pound of makeup to work out!!! And when they get on the machines, their makeup is on there!!! Also, perfume?? really? You're sweating.....eww your B.O. definitely doesn't make your victoria secret scents...... And women, STOP dressing "sexy" coming to the gym all dolled up, walking on the treadmill at snail pace thinking your working out when all you're doing is looking at the guys! Ugh

Also.....It doesn't matter if you're sweating or not, WIPE THE MACHINES DOWN!!! I end up wiping before and after I use the machines....I'm not a maid, but I guess it's for my own safety. lol

BTW, does anyone else have this problem by you?? lol
  • LivingstonIpresume
    Options
    The stupid 2/4 polka trance workout music they play
    The fact that the gym isn't 24 hours
    That even though the gym is closed at night it is still dirty in the morning
    That even though they are closed at night the weights are completely disorganized in the morning.