40+ Club - Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    MK, seems like your daughter has a case of "Ms. Independent". :noway: Don't worry, she'll come around when she gets a little older. I am glad everything went well.

Well, my blood tests came back and I am very happy with them:
    Total cholesterol 171 (down from 186 about 3yrs ago)
    HDL 82 LDL 84 (these are also better but dont have the difference with me)
    Triglyc 24 :noway: These are pretty impressive.
    Ratio 2.1
    Glucose 90

I guess my new lifestyle is paying off! :drinker:
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well I got all the nail holes patched and I noticed that the old paint was cracked and flaking off so I had to scrape the walls and today put a primer on them before I can paint. I was hoping to start painting last night but..... Oh well, I want to do it right that way I wont have to worry about it for quite a while. I ended up getting a beige color for the walls. Which I should have gone with a green because everything else in my house is beige. BUT its a safe color I guess...

Alf... Zumba sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to check out the local gyms and see if they have any classes in my area. Glad that all your blood work came out so well.... Way to go on getting your health on track!

MK.... Kids, they can be quite a pain in the butt cant they. But she will get over her "independent" attitude. Not that she wont be independent just wont push you away.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,813 Member
    Options
    mkwood, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's illness, but I'm happy to hear she is okay. I remember when I was a little bit older than your daughter (I think I was 23), the doctors thought I had a brain tumor (long story!) It wasn't until AFTER I learned that I didn't, when my father said something like 'I hope we don't ever have to go through that again' that I realized how much my parents were concerned about me! Up until that point, the only person I was thinking about....was me. If your daughter is anything like me in my early 20s, she may just not have realized how much you NEEDED to be there for and with her. And I'm glad you were. :flowerforyou:

tron, sounds like you are working hard on that room! We've lived in rentals (because of the military) my entire adult life so I can't imagine having walls a color other than beige! :laugh: Yes, it is a safe color....and good for a workout room. No distractions. :tongue:

alf, I was laughing at the :yawn: you used for yoga. Regarding the balance thing, I struggled through that stage a couple of weeks ago. But there are good days and bad days for balance, so don't sweat it! Have fun at Zumba class!! And great news on the blood word. That is seriously impressive!

singfree!! :drinker: Can't wait for you to join alf and I on our P90X journey!! :drinker: Thanks for your feedback on Insanity. I definitely am going to modify the program based on everything I've read and heard about it.

I did P90X Plyometrics this morning and it was a good workout. I really thought I'd be bored with these workouts by now since I get bored so easily, but I'm not. It's hard for me to believe I'm almost half way through this program. I'm really enjoying some of the changes I'm seeing in my strength with this program because Tony focuses on completely different body parts that Cathe Friedrich did in STS. I especially love what it is doing to my quads (a body part Cathe doesn't focus on much) and, more importantly, my entire core section. I don't know that I've ever been this strong through my core! So I'm really pleased with P90X so far. My pet peeve though......is that all the female exercisers are lifting such light weights!! I think it perpectuates the myth that women shouldn't lift heavy. But, again, that's just a pet peeve of mine.

Did anybody catch The Biggest Loser last night? To see the contestants struggling to walk/run a mile really put things in perspective for me and has made me more determined to stay healthy.

Hope everybody is enjoying their day.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Well, I survived the "invasion of the Big Wigs" here at work. It wasn't so bad. Just a few speeches and the corny ribbon cutting ceremony with the 3 foot scissors! At least I got a free lunch out of it. Not a great eating day to say the least. I intended to do P90X after work, but we are having some remodeling done at the house and I needed to talk with our contractor. Then we had Church choir rehearsal. End of day...end of story.

Alf & Stiring, I will start P90X tonight, not sure which one, but it's going to attack the skinny arms! :laugh: One thing is for sure: NO PLYO. Alf, great news on the bloodwork!! This is a benefit of a healthy lifestyle that most people overlook.

Tron, as you can see, I really hate to paint. Our contractor is a wonderful painter. He had to patch & fix some drywall first. He's a real PA Dutch man. Slow, methodical and very precise with his work. It's also nice that we can give him a key to our home and trust him fully when we are away. I can't wait until everything is finished.

MK, kids will be kids. Eventually they "get it", but the maturity sometimes comes slowly. Don't worry, we all were there at some point in our lives. I'm still waiting for the maturity thing to kick in......

Have a great day!!!!
  • mkwood10
    Options

MK, kids will be kids. Eventually they "get it", but the maturity sometimes comes slowly. Don't worry, we all were there at some point in our lives. I'm still waiting for the maturity thing to kick in......

Have a great day!!!!

LOL.......love your last remark Sing!!!:laugh: :laugh: I think that the signs for my hubby on my dining room wall apply to you also......."You're only young once but you can be immature forever" and "Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Must be a guy thing..........:wink:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: mk, your daughter sounds so much like me. I would rather do things myself. I know that I hurt my mom plenty by being this way. I am glad that all is well with her now.

:flowerforyou: alf, I am now going to Zumba class three times a week. I love it !!!

I am at work right now. I can't get the kid's computer away from them. I am even having trouble logging in my foods and exercise.:mad:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: mk, your daughter sounds so much like me. I would rather do things myself. I know that I hurt my mom plenty by being this way. I am glad that all is well with her now.

:flowerforyou: alf, I am now going to Zumba class three times a week. I love it !!!

I am at work right now. I can't get the kid's computer away from them. I am even having trouble logging in my foods and exercise.:mad:
  • tron3002
    Options
    Sing... I am not much into painting either BUT my husband buys and sells houses and does all of his own work so if I ever thought about hiring a contractor he would have a heart attack. The problem is.... Me being "only the wife" he doesnt feel that he needs to help me at all. So if I want something done I either have to b*tch a lot or do it myself. That being said its easier to do it myself sometimes.

MK.... I love that quote. And I truly believe that although you need to be mature enough to be able to take care of yourself you also need to keep that young spirit inside. I hate when people act old.

Well I got the walls and ceiling primered and while doing so found a ton more tack holes in the walls. Who ever lived here before us thought the walls were a pin cushion I guess. So needless to say I patched all of those also. Now today I am gonna start painting. I cant wait to get this room done. The main reason is I can keep it off limits to those who dont take care of things and it will be one more room in my house that will stay clean.
  • singfree
    Options
    Happy Friday (and reporting day)!

I had high hopes for this week, but it did not work the way I anticipated. So much going on around here this week with work and stuff at home (and the weather) that I didn't do much exercising except for walking. My eating was not great either. I don't feel as though I gained much weight, athough I feel a bit bloated from the poor food choices. Oh well...I WILL do better next week, I promise!

Tron, I am totally inept when it comes to remodeling. I learned years ago that the best way (for me) to get something done right is to throw a lot of money at it. Actually, the man who is working for us is VERY resonable and trustworthy. Today he is meeting my wife at a discount moulding place so that she can pick out her choice of crown moulding. He should be finished in another week. The carpet we ordered came in yesterday, so we have to set up an installation day for that. I want all of the construction and painting to be finished before then.

I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!!!! :drinker:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Ok, I messed up!!!! :grumble: :grumble: I was supposed to do plyometrics (jump trng) on Monday but after a run that morning I was tired and decided to do it today instead of Kenpo (kickboxing). BAD IDEA!!!!! No wonder plyo is not scheduled after legs, which I did yesterday. My legs were spent and now I have this pain on my left hip flexor. :grumble: The problem is that today I pick up the race packets for a 10 miler I am doing with my husband on Sunday morning. :mad: I am mad at myself!!! What should I do?????? I took motrin 800 with breakfast about 15 mins ago. I have to go to work so I cannot lie down and rest and ice it. I am in trouble.

Oh and I was going to do shoulder, chest and tri tomorrow since we are running on Sunday. I think that should be out of the question. I should rest tomorrow instead. I hope this gets better...What do you guys think????

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    alf, you need to rest! Don't worry about finishing up this week of P90X. You aren't going to lose any of your strength gains or conditioning over the weekend. Just pick it up again next week, and you'll be fine. But make sure you heal first!! That's the most important thing right now. :flowerforyou:

Quick Friday check-in....all is the same this week.

I'm doing YogaX today. I think I got about 3 hours of sleep last night, so I'll be curious whether I make it through the entire thing or just give up and go to sleep on my mat. :laugh:

Hope everybody has a good Friday and a great weekend!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Alf, I think resting is important. I was also told that icing the problem area helps as well and to do lots of gentle stretching. Good luck with the run!

Reporting day. Well, I've come down another pound and I'm feeling awesome! Still loving the workouts with the trainer, he pushes me to go farther than I would ever dare to try myself. Tron, I hope you can find a way to work with one if you want. It is so worth it even if it's just for a short while to get you going! Around my area we have a number of gyms that offer small group training (1-4 people) and the cost is quite reasonable per session. It really helps to have someone holding you accountable, at least for me it does. Sorry to say, I'm the kind of person who needs that, my self-motivation can be quite low at times. Like at 6am in the morning! :laugh:

Still continuing with the 55-25-20 percentages for carbs-protein-fat, and finding it easier to stay within my percentages. Not hungry most of the time. The one thing I do have trouble with is sugars, as I eat lots of fruit.

Weather here is GORGEOUS and I hope it continues for a long long time! I am not ready for winter!

Was wondering if anyone has been trying to figure out strategies for dealing with the upcoming holidays and the feasts that are associated with them? I mean, I don't want to give up EVERY traditional food my family is used to for the holidays, but how am I going to get through without the usual 5 lb gain? Eat less, yes. But, um, somehow, that seems too easy. :laugh:

Hope everyone has a FABULOUS weekend and enjoys some great fall weather! :heart:
  • singfree
    Options
    Alf, lots of rest & stretching and you should be good to go. Motrin can be a lifesaver in times like these!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Weight has remained about the same this week. My company provided everyone with ice cream sundaes today so I may be up a bit now.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    I'm back from my under the rock hiding. I havent lost anymore, but I worked up today to being able to do the elliptical machine for 60 minutes at 10 resistance. I would have followed up with the hour on the treadmill, but I stubbed my toe after 10 minutes, and had to walk away. You all have been my inspiration to keep pushing harder. This weekend is the first weekend in a while that doesn't involve parties or trips with mucho eating, so I'm really hoping to see the scale move soon!

I've guided two people this week to this website, so I feel that's doing some good spreading the healthy love. Shout out to SunnySmile if she finds our topic to post on.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    zebras, good to see you! Great job on the elliptical. And stop hiding under rocks! :tongue:

cardigirl, yes, I've already been thinking about the holidays. Here's how I'm going to approach them. For both Thanksgiving and Christmas, I've thought about the food items that signify 'This is Thanksgiving and/or Christmas' to me the most. And that's what I'm going to eat, and I'll work the rest of my food/calories around that as best I can.

For instance, I can eat turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, etc at Thanksgiving just like everybody else! But when I look at the list of foods, I think to myself 'What makes it Thanksgiving for me?' That answer, for me, is stuffing. I could just eat stuffing on Thanksgiving, to be honest. It makes the meal for me. So I'm going to enjoy my stuffing on Thanksgiving, and I'll work the rest of the plate around that. So, this year, instead of stuffing and mashed potatoes, I'll just having the stuffing. And I won't take a bread roll, because I'm having stuffing. And instead of three big slices of turkey, I might have one or two, but I'm going to have stuffing. When I think about all those decisions, I'm fine with them....because I'll be having stuffing! Of course, I'll have to watch that portion of stuffing (to some degree), but I'm going to have it, and I'm going to enjoy it!

The food I associate most with the days leading up to Christmas are these mint brownies my sister sends my husband and I every year. She has sent them around the world (literally) to us every Christmas now for about 15 years. I love them, and they are the taste of the Christmas season to me. Yes, my mother-in-law also has sent us cookies every year since we've been married, and I love them. And I bake every year, and I make some good stuff. :smile: But when I think about what I don't want to live without during those days leading up to Christmas, it is those brownies. So I will eat them...one a night....but I will eat them. And I won't have the cookies I make or my mother-in-law makes, and I'll have to skip the desserts at the Christmas parties I'll attend....but I'm going to have my mint brownies, so that's okay with me.

Our tradition on Christmas Day is eggs benedict for breakfast. My family has been doing that since I was a teen. We never had a traditional Christmas dinner, but we had a traditional 'after-the-gifts-are-open Christmas brunch', and that is a tradition my husband and I have carried forth throughout our 19 years together. I don't want to do without it, even though hollandaise isn't exactly a low cal food! So I won't. And maybe Christmas dinner will be seasoned turkey cutlets with green beans and a salad or something instead of all the fixings, but that's okay with me. Because, once again, I know what means the most to me when it come to food that day, and I'm going to have it and enjoy it...and work the rest of the meals around it.

So that's my plan right now. I really want to have a 'going-in' plan because I would imagine, as I'm sitting at the Thanksgiving table, that I might think 'I'll just take a little of everything', and I'd end up eating way too much. So I'm hoping that by focusing on those items I really want, I'll avoid the 'little of everything' situation and still feel I've enjoyed the traditional holidays foods that mean the most to me without a sense of deprivation....or, for that matter, a feeling of complete gluttony. Again, that's my plan. We'll see how it goes in reality! :laugh:

Managed to get through YogaX this morning....and actually really enjoyed the workout today. I completely zoned into it (which means I kind of just zoned out and did the moves without thinking about how long the workout was) and felt absolutely great when I completed it. I had done about 80 minutes of tough cardio before it, so I guess the secret to enjoying YogaX isn't just wearing myself with cardio before doing it but being completely sleep deprived as well. :happy:
  • tron3002
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a great day!!! I finished the 2nd coat of paint on all of the walls. I still need to look over the ceiling to see if it needs a 2nd coat or not then its off to steam cleaning the carpets.
    I had to go to the school today to file a complaint about the substitute bus driver. Yesterday my son got to the bus just as the doors closed. He knocked on the doors, the driver opened them and when he tried to get on the driver said... "Stop. once the doors are closed you stay at school" What?!!! Are you kidding me? Its not like he even left the yard. And I live (drive time) 40 minutes away. My son couldn't get a hold of me and walked quite a ways home. Almost got hit by a car because he has to walk to the highway. I dont care what anyone thinks, thats just a bunch of crap. And who is this guy to put my son in a dangerous situation like that.

Well that being said.... Thank you for letting me vent my frustrations...:happy:
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Howdy Zebras, thanks for the shout out and welcome. Hi everyone, I'm happy to find exercise motivated inspiration here. My challenge this week is to NOT exercise and it's just about driving me crazy. I caught my husbands cold which led to some broncitis, and flared my asthma in the process. Doctor said absolutely not exercise right now, not even gentle walking in the water. I am allowed light walking only and if I get winded not even that (and I had to practically beg for permission to do that much).

o my challenge is not backsliding on recording food, not gaining weight while on prednisone temporarily, and once allowed, rebuilding my lung capacity for great exercise and weight loss.

Any suggestions on how to stay motivated during this time?
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello!!!! Thank you to all of you for the best wishes. I do not think my "pain" was due to injury. I "rested" yesterday but I still went to Sea World with my daugher and grandaughter, so lots of walking. As of Fri evening I was not feeling the discomfort. I went ahead and jogged the 10 miler with my husband this morning. We finished in 2:16 hrs. The race did not start until a little after 7:35am so it got hot and humid later on. That really affects my husband so he slowed down towards the end but he finished and that is great! I feel wonderful. :laugh: So I am starting the second wk of phase 2 of P90X tomorrow.

Welcome sunnysmile!! :drinker: I know how hard it can be not to exercise if you are used to it. But your health is most important so follow your doctor's orders and soon you will be able to start exercising again. :drinker:

Tron, how is your son doing? I hope the school officials counsel that bus driver. :angry: Hey, can you come over and do some painting around my house? :laugh: I have a gallon of paint I bought about a year ago (Nov) to paint the bathrooms and it is still in the pantry. :noway: Do you think it is still good? :laugh:

Take care!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

I hope everyone had a fine weekend! Not much happening, I had a rare Sat. morning rehearsal with Susquehanna Chorale, went to a "Luau" at my mother's Assisted Living Facility and looked at a new iPod touch at the Apple store...I want one of those! Yesterday we took a 12 mile bike ride on an old rail-trail. That was beautiful & fun.

Today I am leaving work early to do some painting for our contractor. I know, I know, I don't like to paint...but this will help to expedite things around our house. I'll be painting the crown moulding while he does some "real" work inside. Then back to Hershey this evening for a meeting and rehearsal. Whew!!! I'm tired already!

Alf, since you are starting phase 2, week 2, do you mind if I join you at that point? It really does not matter to me where I start, as long as I get back to lifting weights again!!! BTW, if the paint wasn't opened before, it should be fine. Make sure that you stir it before using. Not only are you becoming the "Zumba Queen Of San Anotonio", but also a Domestic Goddess??? :laugh:

Tron, I fully agree with you about that idiot bus driver. What was he thinking???

Stiring, great post about the holidays. I'm not going to deny myself anything, but weigh the pros & cons of each item that I am about to consume. Some things I REALLY want to eat...turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy. Even though I love pumpkin pie, I can usually get away with just a small slice. We then send the leftover pie home with the kids. Out of sight, out of mouth. :laugh:

If I get some time I will do P90X and maybe a quick bike ride. Need to get back to good eating too.

Have a great day!