Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options

Replies

• beltrone
    beltrone Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I walk back in forth with a distance from 6 ft to 40 ft in my home without a treadmill. I lost 16 pounds and I lose weight fast since i am so big/ and a male. I drink lots of water but I get it all out of my system quickly.

I also employed same method, I walked in comfort of home without any equipment. I spend whole day in living room walking and watching TV simultaneously, I only go to my bedroom to sleep. I stopped sitting in front of PC whole day. I browse internet on phone mostly now without interrupting walking.
  • krokus99
    krokus99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone rocks!
    Thank you for bringing her exercise into my attention. I had to try it after a 40 min. stationary biking and it was heaven for me!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    from just walking no, I walk a lot (7-12 km a day) and I do lose steadily but it's a combination of caloric deficit and the exercise from the walking - I've lost 25 pounds since Jan 3rd when I started this (MFP I started 4 weeks later)
  • rmartinjr1984
    rmartinjr1984 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    from just walking no, I walk a lot (7-12 km a day) and I do lose steadily but it's a combination of caloric deficit and the exercise from the walking - I've lost 25 pounds since Jan 3rd when I started this (MFP I started 4 weeks later)

I have to agree with this. Walking alone will not help as much as it will if you add in a calorie deficit. Today marks month 3 of my weight loss journey and I am 38 pounds lighter than when I started. I am on a 1,000 calorie a day deficit and walk 3 times a week at the very minimum for at least 1 hour. I have also incorporated a cardio routine at home on days where I cannot get out to walk which helps me burn from 400-700 calories depending on the intensity. Walking is a great exercise, but adding in the calorie deficit will help you even more. Hope this helps you somewhat.
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    yes-all my my lost weight....
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump, bumpity bump. Yes this thread might be two years old, but a good topic is ageless!
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it and actually challenged myself to walk 100 miles this month...

Don't know really how much it is helping because I do other exercises as well..

But I had someone tell me that they didn't think walking should be counted as an exercise.....
    Which rubbed me the wrong way because I started out almost 300 pounds and at least I was doing SOMETHING! But the same person also said playing duck duck goose and tag does count as exercise... Blah
  • ralphkick
    Options
    Congrats on the weight lost. I started MyFitnessPal on 01/14/2014. I started walking on about 02/04/2014. I walk about 6-9 miles daily. I have lost 40 lbs. and counting. It's great to hear all the positive encouragment from people.
  • TennisNerd13
    Options
    40 lbs lost since January~ that's awesome!!!
  • SallyFTW
    SallyFTW Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes when I started I use to walk 3km a day. I lived in a very hilly area so there was a lot of incline. With a decent diet I lost about 10lbs in a month.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    At 282 (my highest in 2004) - walking in the neighborhoods is what I only did and it got rid of majority of weight then. I joined gym after almost a year sometime in 2005 December just b'coz the gym was giving away "holidays special" :smile:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Great comments. In 2013 I lost about 50 pounds in 5-6 months by changing my food and walking. I walk to work now instead of driving my car (it's only 1 mile), walk to local stores, and hike on the weekend. I live near a national park and sometimes follow a road 6-8 miles to the beginning. I walk at a normal pace, not power walk.

I've added push ups and other calisthenics to work on my upper body, but I love walking outside. I will never give it up. It's interesting, takes me to beautiful places, doesn't injure my joints -- and once I walk somewhere, I have to walk back (not like a treadmill where I can just get off). I'm glad spring is almost here so I can start long walks again.
  • leeejordan
    leeejordan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have lost 17 lbs since the beginning of February i have been on MFP since the second week in March (5.5 lbs). I have changed my diet and try to walk every other day. i started off walking 1.5 to 2 miles but am now up to between 4-6 miles. this is the only form of exercise that i do and the combination seems to be working for me.
    getting out and about also makes me feel more energetic and is a great therapy for me.

i would like to incorporate other exercises but have to be careful as i have back problems which i am hoping by losing some weight will help.
  • Leila_Cancun
    Options
    HEY I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT KIND OF BALANCED DIET ARE YOU EATING ALONG WITH THE WALKING TO GET THE WEIGHT LOSS RESULTS YOU HAVE GOTTEN?
  • Leila_Cancun
    Options
    HI,
    I AM AT THE WEIGHT YOU WERE AT. I HAVE STARTED WALKING WITH MY SISTER TO HELP WITH THE WEIGHT LOSS. THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS THE DIET. WHAT KIND OF MENU DID YOU USE AS YOUR DIET?

THANKS,
    LEILA
  • laurahensley1981
    Options
    i've started only by walking and I am working up to walking a 5k. I love walking because of my weight, asthma, and migraines I suffer some days to even get out to walk but I have lost some weight. :)
  • jianop
    jianop Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes! When I had a job in retail part time I was walking in circles for 12 hours a week and I dropped some serious weight and had some nice looking legs. Keep it up and try for distance if you can!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!