Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options

Replies

• MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yup. But you get good at it and have to up your time, then you peak out again and need to do something else. Best thing to do though, if you're new to exercise. But when you stop losing, you're no longer gaining fitness either--start lifting.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well if other factors are constant aka you're eating the same amount and walking more, you're obviously consuming lower net calories and there's no reason why it won't have a positive impact on the weightloss.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    About 10-15 lb in a month with my treadmill and eating at a good calorie deficit. That is the most important part for weight loss.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes...you can lose weight by walking....I walk every day and that's how I've lost my weight along with changing my eating habits.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yup. But you get good at it and have to up your time, then you peak out again and need to do something else. Best thing to do though, if you're new to exercise. But when you stop losing, you're no longer gaining fitness either--start lifting.

Not everyone can start lifting. Why does lifting always have to end up being the ONLY way you can lose weight according to people here? I can't lift anything, I can do bodyweight but that is it. Apart from that... forget it unless people who keep telling me to lift are willing to pay for medical bills & surgery?
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I walk every single day for around 35 minutes :)
    have lost over 20 pounds!
  • lovelylittlegiggles
    lovelylittlegiggles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have lost weight walking. However, when I walk outdoors, or on a treadmill, I don't lose any weight. But when I use the walk at home videos by Leslie Sansone, which are more multi-muscle utilization, I lose weight. Maybe try a greater intensity. Fast... slow... fast.
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much walking contributes to weight loss, but it made me considerably less pear shaped - I'd always had wobbly thighs and big-ish legs, and while I still have a bit to go, they're considerably more taut after upping my walking! Plus I read that's it's the distance that counts as opposed to speend, i.e. you can burn just as many calories as in a jog, it just takes longer.
  • Snailman44
    Snailman44 Posts: 25
    Options
    My wife has lost over 50 lbs by just eating healthy and walking. She looks amazing. I personally prefer riding my bike as my daily cardio fix .
  • jayden0518
    Options
    Ive been walking 3times a day for 30 minutes and eating right will I start to loose weight
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I believe in walking. I walk as often as possible and I know it's made me stronger and healthier. I think it's good for anyone, especially people who do not have the capacity to do anything more strenuous yet.
  • christhenix
    christhenix Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    They say that walking at a brisk pace is just as good for you as running the same distance, And it is lower impact on the joints too. :happy:
  • Phanntom
    Phanntom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is really nothing more than a numbers game. Calories IN you go up. Calories OUT, you go down.

Assuming you're a male and your ideal calorie intake for your height, weight and activity to maintain your weight is 2,000 calories/day and say you weight 180 pounds.

Each pound is about 3,500 calories to change your weight up or down you have to modify your caloric balance. If you want to lose a single pound means you'll have to eliminate 3,500 calories from you life. You can either reduce your caloric intake by dieting, or you can eliminate them by burning them off through exercise. Technically, the body doesn't care which method you use....just that for every 3,500 calories you remove from your life, you're going to remove 1 pound.

Let's go with a real-life example. One of MY goals is to lose 24 lbs. by Dec. 31, 2014.

This means I have to remove 84,000 calories from my life. Putting it into perspective....IF I ate all my meals at McDonalds (with I don't), I'd have to eat 558 FEWER Double Cheeseburgers between now and the end of the year to accomplish my 24# weight loss goal.

At my present weight I burn about 138 calories/per mile if done in 20 minutes. This means to lose the 24# through walking only, I'll need to walk about 609 miles or 203 hours between now and Dec. 31st. With is akin to walking from New York City to Indianapolis, IN.

Without modifying my diet at all I could lose the 24# through walking only by walking about an hour and 10 minutes a day.

So I can either give up 558 Double Cheeseburgers or walk hour and ten minutes a day. Given I don't even eat 1 cheeseburger a day it will be difficult to give up eating AN EXTRA 3 a day.

Obviously my best solution is to incorporate both aspects into my plan. Cut my number of calories and increase my exercise (walking)

Sometimes looking at one's overall goal can be overwhelming and can have the effect of making it seem hopeless, but when broken down into manageable facets it can become quite motivating. This is the long answer to a short question but I hope it helps.
  • KBP1025
    KBP1025 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    An interesting fact about walking and weight loss - according to the National Weight Control Registry (they track people who have lost at least 30 lbs and have kept it off for at least a year), "94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking".

I'm down 57 lbs just from walking and eating right.
  • Leggylass
    Leggylass Posts: 215
    Options
    I used to walk at least for 2 hours a day at a casual pace, I lost a lot of weight within a few months and toned up.
  • cheemasaab
    Options
    hey guys! I'm a letter Carrier with Canada Post and I'm walking about 20km a day but Im not losing the way I should be. I know I love to eat lol but I should be able to see some difference right?

I understand the calorie in calorie out objective but am I just eating way too much?
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I lost 17 pounds meeting my goal weight with nothing but walking and a little swimming in 107 days. I walk with my toddler in the stroller at a brisk pace as though I were trying to catch a bus for an hour most days, although sometimes I break it up in to two walks, depending on my schedule.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    hey guys! I'm a letter Carrier with Canada Post and I'm walking about 20km a day but Im not losing the way I should be. I know I love to eat lol but I should be able to see some difference right?

I understand the calorie in calorie out objective but am I just eating way too much?

Walk at a quick clip and make sure you are tracking yours cals.
  • JenSBrown2015
    JenSBrown2015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started this journey almost a year ago and have lost 70 lbs!! and my only form of exercise is WALKING!! SO it can definitely be done
  • madmish29
    madmish29 Posts: 13
    Options
    i have lost almost 40 pounds since January this year. My only form of exercise is walking, i walk 3-4 miles a day 5 day a week, and sometimes one or two of those days, i go to 6 or 7 miles. i have back problems, so walking in all i can manage at the minute. i usually have my toddler in her stroller too, and she loves being out and about! Walking is good!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!