Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options

Replies

• ralphkick
    Options
    I,v been using MyFitnessPal and walking to lose weight. I started MyFitnessPal in January and started walking in February. I started walking at between 45-60 minutes a day. I am now doing anywhere from 2-3 hours each day. I walk at about 4.0 miles per hour. I have lost 49 lbs. and feel great. I would like to lose 25 lbs. more.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i have lost all my weight by walking.... no running what so ever...since i been having problem with my heel...

I lost 50lbs in 6 months... now at the gym gaining back the muscles i've lost in the process...

--ms
  • bobbyjodearnley
    Options
    I had a pneumothorax recently so I couldn't do any exercise except walk - doctor's orders. Did 4 hours a day every day and lost 2 inches from my waist and 2 from my hips in 40 days :D haven't weighed myself recently though but I'm somewhere in the 'healthy weight' range according to my BMI.
  • maskedbelleza
    maskedbelleza Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ages ago my dad lost about 40lbs with walking (30 minutes in the evening after dinner) and portion control. It took maybe 6 months. (He was overweight and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.) So, it's definitely possible to do since you're restricted from anything else.
  • kitjos
    kitjos Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight from walking. I have a treadmill in my living room and do 5k a day, im a fast walker (5mph) so can do it in under an hour. I love plugging in headphones and having some 'me' time, even if im sweating a bucket :D. Xx
  • Lonasue32
    Lonasue32 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! How much do you walk? that was to crb1988 :) didn't quote oops.
  • LittleMissYoYo
    LittleMissYoYo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have lost 13lbs since January 2014 by walking, here is my progress pics xxx

10r0nyd.jpg
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Walking.... Yes.i like because you can do it anywhere.Traveling, just put a good walking shoe in and your set. I had lost about 57 lbs before coming here and it was because of the walking. I have 45 lbs to lose so walking will DEFINATELY be the way I will go. Best to you
  • gothdaisy
    Options
    Walking is pretty much the only exercise that I've done during my weight loss with FitnessPal. I have a treadmill in front of the TV and I watch whatever i want to, but make sure i'm using the treadmill. I usually walk 60+ minutes per day on an incline, but when I first started out, I used it on the flat setting. I started out walking 2.5mph on the flat and now I walk 3.0mph on an incline. So far i've lost 65.5lbs over the course of 8 months using a combination of the treadmill daily and keeping my calorie count under control (starting at 1600 per day and working my way down to 1400 per day). I've been very successful and am still losing steadily! Good luck!
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My only cardio workout is walking.
    I bought a pedometer (fitbit flex) and it inspires me to walk that little bit more than normal.
    I have lost 24lb since Christmas. Ok so maybe gym goers have lost more but I cant go to a gym and walking is free.
  • jessie62993
    jessie62993 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am so happy you posted this. I've (re)started walking recently twice (or more if I can) per day. I'm walking at least 60-100 minutes in the morning/afternoon (after breakfast or lunch) and 30-45 minutes in the evening (after dinner). I'm doing it, not just to drop some of this ugly and definitely unwanted flab. fat and yuck...but also for my "mental" flab. Walking outside, somehow makes me, I dunno, feel young or something:love: When I was a kid and young woman, I walked everywhere I went--now as I walk, it reminds me of my younger days, when I was slim and healthy. Seeing the sights, smelling the fresh air, hearing the birds and activity--i dunno, it helps deFAT my brain or something too.

Plus I'm walking longer and longer, further and further and it's helping my endurance somehow too. Important note...I don't "speed walk' or anything like that...I walk dog walking pace (about 3.0 mph most times sometimes I'll go as fast as say 3.5 miles per hour too, but not a lot), but I also walk leisurely pace (2.0-2.5 mph) as well. I'm walking to cool-out and stroll about and strengthen my legs and hold in my tummy time too.

I so look forward to reading other replies and thanks again for posting this question!:flowerforyou:

I love this.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chriscsullivan
    Options
    I lost about sixty pounds in a year by getting rid of my car, which forced me to walk (if even simply to get to public transportation) and basically adopted a diet consisting of lean protein and lots of fruits and vegetables. So, yes. It can be done -- although the more successful you are, obviously the less weight there is to lose, which add the resistance you need to lose weight. That may bring you to a plateau, but changes in the duration, frequency and intensity of your walks may put you back on track.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 50 lbs by doing no other exercise than walking. And of course controlling my calories.

But based on your pic, I'm assuming you lift now?
  • calebnmariah
    calebnmariah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My mom lost with walking and so do I. However my mom's was more powerful. She went from 225 to 135 by doing weight watchers and walking. However she was walking about 6 miles every day and it was an intense hike with lots of hills. Good luck.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Omg this thread is brilliant!!

Cant believe how much weight you have all lost... From eating healthy + walking
  • SibyllKingsley
    Options
    I just started walking 6.2 miles a day three days ago. I plan on walking this distance every day rain or shine. I don't eat a lot as it is. my starting weight is 228. I clear 6.2 miles in 1:52 minutes. so its a moderate pace- the website I use to calculate says I burn 750 calories per session. Guess now all I can do is play the waiting game to see if I lose weight. I need to lose 5 stones. Anything thoughts let me know please.
  • KhadijaChoudhury
    KhadijaChoudhury Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is great to hear that walking has helped so many people lose weight. I have started walking 3 miles daily and hope to lose 35 pounds.
  • comforter
    comforter Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi! I have lost 48 pounds since January 1st by watching what I eat and walking, only. I am also 59 years old, so losing weight the older you get is a challenge also - you can do this thing! Be hopeful and expectant for victory! :)
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    All my exercise is walking. I get to work an hour early and walk and then I go out again at lunchtime. I've been doing this for nearly a year and I walk around 8-10 miles per day.

It works for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!