Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options
I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?

Replies

• loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Walking has always been my best way to lose. I have a treadmill and love walking. It's easy on my back and I feel the difference in hips and but really quickly.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you need to try for some longer distances, for sure. That's how I started losing weight. I actually took a walking class while in college, and I was probably walking 6+ hours a week, but it really made a difference!
  • MartinaC32
    MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a well balanced diet and walking 3 times a week there is no reason you won't lose weight :) Walking is therapy for me. I love it.

I usually walk about 5k, three times a week. I also signed up for a 60k walk in September so that's my motivation to keep at it.
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    Options
    i think walking is great but for me it does not help me lose weight but then again i walk 12-16 hours a day as i work in a trauma hospital and rarely get breaks, if it works for you great but if it is spmething you do already your body may be used to it. i have to do interval training with elliptical and it works for me
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That is the main form of exercise that I have done for the past year...and my ticker speaks for itself :)

Walking works!!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?

It most certainly can aid in your weightloss, it is an excellent form of exercise!
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50 pounds in seven months, and my daily walks have played a huge role in my success so far. I'm around halfway to my goal, and I plan to start adding strength training to my workout regimen. But I intend to keep walking - in fact, I'm planning to walk a half marathon in November.
  • aprilsoroko
    aprilsoroko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Leslie Sansone Walking dvds...It's really low impact aerobics, but I have definitely starting noticing that I am slimming down...clothes fit better! Her dvds are at Target and are usually about $13.00 each. They are really easy on the joints too. I haven't worked out regularly in a long time and was worried about being sore...but I haven't had a problem so far. I've been doing about 30-40 minutes every other day for about two and a half weeks.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I have lost 7lbs in 3 weeks. Mostly been walking since I hurt my tail bone and can´t use my bike.
    Works for me but I have been taking very long walks, up to two hours.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    :happy: I know someone who lost 50lbs with walking alone. The amount you lose will depend on your starting weight, amount of walking you do, and food intake.
  • EbAbYgONhArD2013
    Options
    I have lost 32lbs eating right and only using walking as my exercise in 3 months.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    My first 50-60 lbs. lost was just walking... well eating right too. but exercise it was just walking.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    A lot of my friends started out with walking and lost majority of their weight in the begining via walking. They eventually moved into other workouts but they did started with walking.

Walking for some reason is very underrated and I don't really see why. I think alot of us want faster results so we jump into harder workouts but then get mentally defeated when we don't see the results like running for miles and miles in the start. Just start slow, walking is perfectly good workout and will definitely give you good results
  • Julie2402
    Julie2402 Posts: 126
    Options
    I love walking and it definitely does help!! I walk a minimum of 3 miles each day with my dog (some days it can be up to 7 miles) It doesn't cost a thing and the fresh air does wonders :))
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Walking works!

I actually LOST weight during my freshman year because I didn't have a car! Sadly, I gained the weight back when I later got a car . I like the freedom of driving, but being forced to walk everywhere definitely had its benefits.
  • judgementbh
    judgementbh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I first started losing weight by walking. I weighed 312 pounds and there was just no way that I was going to run carrying that much extra weight. I walked 5-6 days a week for 30mins a day as fast as I could walk each time. When that became routine for me and almost easy, I upped the time to 60mins a day. I don't quite remember exactly, but it took me 2-3 months to get to walking 60 mins a day. I lost my first 40 pounds this way. After I had lost enough weight, I then started running again. Over a year and a half later, I just finished a 10 mile race at 7:30 pace and I now weigh 235 pounds. Long story short, you will lose weight walking if you do the following - 1. Have a consistant routine - unless you are hurt, get your workout in 2. Don't just stroll, push yourself 3. Diet alone does not work, excercise alone does not work, you have to have both to really see results. 4. Drink a lot of water...and then drink some more. Hope this was helpful, good luck to you!
  • IHeartNewMe
    IHeartNewMe Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Over the last year and 1/2 I lost 110 lbs.. My only form of exercise was, walking! Just recently I began to add some resistance training. I love walking, it firms and tones, burns fat, ramps up your metabolism, low impact on your joints, easy to do, not to mention when it's hot outside you sweat like pig (don't forget your water) and get a great tan (don't forget your suntan lotion and hat). Walking is the bomb!
  • Scarbu
    Scarbu Posts: 15
    Options
    I think walking is great-remember the basic elements of getting fit though and change the intensity, time and length of what you're doing over time. In other words, walking 30 minutes a day at 3 mph may be wonderful for someone to start at, then the next week, walk 3.5 mph for 5 minutes of the walk. Little changes like that will help boost fitness levels.
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    I've lost 24 lbs just walking and stretching.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I am so happy you posted this. I've (re)started walking recently twice (or more if I can) per day. I'm walking at least 60-100 minutes in the morning/afternoon (after breakfast or lunch) and 30-45 minutes in the evening (after dinner). I'm doing it, not just to drop some of this ugly and definitely unwanted flab. fat and yuck...but also for my "mental" flab. Walking outside, somehow makes me, I dunno, feel young or something:love: When I was a kid and young woman, I walked everywhere I went--now as I walk, it reminds me of my younger days, when I was slim and healthy. Seeing the sights, smelling the fresh air, hearing the birds and activity--i dunno, it helps deFAT my brain or something too.

Plus I'm walking longer and longer, further and further and it's helping my endurance somehow too. Important note...I don't "speed walk' or anything like that...I walk dog walking pace (about 3.0 mph most times sometimes I'll go as fast as say 3.5 miles per hour too, but not a lot), but I also walk leisurely pace (2.0-2.5 mph) as well. I'm walking to cool-out and stroll about and strengthen my legs and hold in my tummy time too.

I so look forward to reading other replies and thanks again for posting this question!:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!