Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options

Replies

• Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I lost 23 lbs by just walking before I added other workouts to my routines :D
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    The only "exercise" I do is walking, but then I make sure it is a brisk pace- I push myself to hit my target heart rate and keep it up there for at least an hour, 3 times a week. I prefer doing walking outside (not a treadmill person, sadly.) Combined with making MUCH better food choices and curbing the portion sizes I have lost over 80 lbs. I don't think my results are common at all, so when I tell you that it's only taken 4 1/2 months to lose all this weight please don't feel like you should expect those results. I have made dramatic food choice changes, eat a lot more frequently, no "diet pills" or weight loss surgery, just all "normal" foods, paired with common sense, and walking. I started out at the end of Jan weighing in at 355. I'm down to 272 today. Good luck to you!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight by walking at 3.3mph for about an hour 5X/week on the treadmill and with the incline jacked up to 12%. I switched to running about a month ago now that I'm almost a healthy weight and therefore less strain on my knee.
  • medicinemantoo
    Options
    Had a girlfriend that went for a walk and never came back. I lost 122lbs in one day ;-)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot, I love walking, I don't walk to burn calories though, I walk because I enjoy it.

Walking, the occasional sprint and a few pushups at random intervals is the sum total of my current exercise regime.

I used to get the mountain bike out but that seems like too much effort these days.

I absolutely do not jog and I only run on a cricket field ... and that is rarely ;)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Had a girlfriend that went for a walk and never came back. I lost 122lbs in one day ;-)

:-)

My mum walked 5km a day, no idea where she is now.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?

If walking helps you burn more calories than you take in, it can be helpful in losing weight. The only thing you can do to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than you burn. How long it will take is, as soon as you start burning more than you take in, you will start losing weight.
  • mmoroniz
    mmoroniz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50 pounds in seven months, and my daily walks have played a huge role in my success so far. I'm around halfway to my goal, and I plan to start adding strength training to my workout regimen. But I intend to keep walking - in fact, I'm planning to walk a half marathon in November.

Hey, just wondering how long (minutes) are your walks, and how fast?
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    When I was much heavier I lost the 1st 40lbs by walking. I was too shy to join a gym then, so I walked my neighborhood, everyday. The 1st month I dropped 15lbs, then after that I lost steadily until I got bold enough to join a gym...........
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight by sitting on your couch watching TV. The answer to losing weight is in the kitchen. If you consume less than you need, you WILL lose weight. its that simple. I've lost about 70 pounds on this journey so far. The first 20 or so were lost without any exercise. none at all. I just got the eating down. (exercise does have its benefits though)

so YES, yes you can lose weight by walking...provided you have the nutrition down.
  • gameny
    gameny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been walking for the last 6 months. I began doing about 30 minutes at a reasonably brisk pace( walking, not jogging). I am now up to 60+ minutes a day. I break it into two 30 minute periods. I have lost 94 lbs so far by keeping in the My Fitness Pal suggested calorie range and walking. Hope this helps you and Good Luck!
  • rafik_hany
    rafik_hany Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks by just reducing portions and walking for at least 30 mins a day. Sometimes I walk 3 sessions throughout the day, each is 30 mins. If you walk with a very very brisk pace...it's definitely worth it. As you lose weight, try introducing other exercises that could be done at home like push ups, sit ups and pull ups to avoid losing muscle mass with the far. However, again, I'm very much pro-walking...easiest possible exercise with the most effective results in my point of view.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I go to Curves, but I mainly walk and enjoy it. And yes, with eating correctly the weight will melt off. I try to get in at least 1.5 to 2 hours 3 days per week. If I'm pressed for time then its just one hour.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Yep. See my profile pic? I lost over 90 pounds with walking as my only exercise. I walked a lot though, and increased both speed and time spent walking as my weight got lower. It worked just fine. After getting in such good shape from walking I started jogging just for the fun of it, and now jog 5-10K almost every morning.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If you burn more calories in a day than you eat, you will lose weight. Period.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I walk =) I've lost weight.. about 25 lbs in 5 weeks.. I use a treadmill, 'speed walk' =p
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you count hiking as walking... then, yes! Sure... hiking tends to be a lot more intense with all the steep mountains and the added weight of a backpack, but essentially it's just walking. :-)
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?

I did all my weight loss by watching calories and walking...I don't do "cardio" per se. During 2010, 2011, I averaged about 20 lb per year, but that was before I joined MFP. After joining MFP, it took me 4 or 5 weeks to lose the last 11 (ended up being more like 12 or so, because I got down to 157) pounds.

I had my goals set to lose 1 lb per week. During my BEST
  • Melistyle
    Melistyle Posts: 1
    Options
    I know my former mother in law lost 70lbs walking between 6-10 miles a day. She kept a treadmill in the living room and only allowed herself to watch tv or movies while she was walking. She didn't diet either, or at least that is what she claims lol... but she is now a size 4 so she did something right.
  • DreBeauty
    DreBeauty Posts: 14
    Options
    Yes, I lost 18lbs in under two months by primarily walking and watching my calorie intake...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!