Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options

Replies

• DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have lost just shy of 40 pounds and the only exercise I do is walking!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    yes.. me, I now combine walking with zumba, but I started with the walking first and lost around 20-25 lbs just doing that.
  • seventeendayer
    seventeendayer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 lbs. in 3 and a half months, walking about an hour a day, 5 to 6 days a week. I also attribute the weight loss to following the daily calorie allowance given for me on MFP.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I find that walking is pretty much what fuels my weight loss. I generally eat pretty well and have for the past couple of years, but my weight wasn't moving. I started walking about 3 miles a day at about 2.7 mph with a small incline, and it started slipping away. Last week I didn't do much walking at all--a bit burned out, a bit bummed for other reasons--and again, my weight loss stalled. Began again a couple of days ago, and boom-- there goes the scale :)

"They" say that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, and I think that is probably true. Walking doesn't seem like 'much,' but it can absolutely be enough, provided the diet its there as well.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday. Sometimes I walk 2 miles, other times 4 miles per day. I just recently added biking and swimming. I also cut out pop and am on 1400 calorie day diet.

I've already walked 38 miles this month and my goal is 50. I'll need to adjust that amount because I'll hit 50 this next week.

Walking will work for some, not for others. We're all different. So for those saying that walking alone doesn't work means it doesn't work for them. We're all different.
  • morgan2720
    morgan2720 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?

I do alot of walking for work walking round the community i walk 130 mins or more aday not weekend so much ive been doing this now for 8 weeks monday and lost 21lbs :)
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    A lot of my friends started out with walking and lost majority of their weight in the begining via walking. They eventually moved into other workouts but they did started with walking.

Walking for some reason is very underrated and I don't really see why. I think alot of us want faster results so we jump into harder workouts but then get mentally defeated when we don't see the results like running for miles and miles in the start. Just start slow, walking is perfectly good workout and will definitely give you good results

Nicely put. I started off by walking. Started out slowly, then increased by intensity and duration of the walks. Lost about 25-30 pounds. And after that I was ready to move onto our workouts. I still try to walk couple of days a week. It is relaxing and enjoyable especially now when the weather is so lovely.
  • RainyAM
    RainyAM Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Walking is the only exercise I do ...! :) An hour every night at a moderate speed helps no end ... I've just got back into it after falling off the wagon and it not only helps with weight loss but helps me sleep better too. Result :)
  • PatBland
    PatBland Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I have been losing since Jan. without any problem . Walk my little dog several times a day. My weight loss has been consistent.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have lost 51 pounds walking 60-100 minutes per day six days a week. :-)
  • tbird4evr
    tbird4evr Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of walking! I lost appx. 75 lbs walking and following the MFP calorie reccomendations since 12/8/11. I have always loved walking. Even when I weighed a crowd pleasing 371 lbs. I have a Omron pedometer and try hard to walk 15,000-20,000 steps/day.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Walking is almost my sole exercise... When I started this getting healthy thing, I could barely walk to the mailbox. Now I can go 4 miles easy. I love walking. It just makes me FEEL good. I've lost over 100 pounds with dietary changes and walking alone. It took me about 10 months to lose 100 pounds

Edited to add time
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    lost my first 70 lbs in 3 months just walking and eating right.

Of course I weight 370 lbs so they came off quick
  • poundsgalore
    poundsgalore Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have also lost weight walking as the only form of exercise. I walk for at least an hour a day. Eating right helps too, which I am working on getting better at!!:blushing:
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    I'm a 110 pounds down from walking and portion control. It may take longer than some forms, but for me is more sustainable. I have both hips replaced, and most exercises are hard for me. The key will always be MOVE MORE AND EAT LESS!
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've lost 38 pounds in 59 days primarily from walking & power walking....and recently started the Jillian Micheals 30-day shred....also do weights 3x a week.....Walking is a great form of exercise!!! :)
  • Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I try to walk between 1 and 2 miles a day at least 4 times a week and I have been watching what I eat.. I have lost about 13 lbs since February. I have decided I need to push myself a little harder... I have fibromyagia and sometimes I am too exhausted to walk, but I know I do feel better when I do.. My problem is I am impatient. I want to lose weight faster than I am.. I am 56 yrs old, and about 10 yrs ago I walked and watched what I ate and I lost about 25 lbs. I hope to lose at least that much again. I do love getting outside and walking, but if it is too hot outside I will use the treadmill...
  • mjs3974
    mjs3974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've just started to do more walking. I am glad to see it works.
  • RenitaDeShanne
    RenitaDeShanne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have so far I lost my first 10 lbs from walking on the treadmill using Ifit Live then I joined a gym so that I could add elliptical cardio and strength training to my workout.
  • johnfnord
    johnfnord Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Walking an hour a day works great for me. Sometimes I spice it up but its my foundation.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!