Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options

Replies

• Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?

I have ONLY walked, and have not done any other "cardio". I have lost a total of about 75 lbs. during 2010, and 2011, I lost an average of 20 lbs per year. But, I wasn't EXTREMELY serious, and was not on MFP. I joined MFP at the urging of my sweet wife to lose the last 11 lbs to get to my goal weight. It took me about 4 or 5 weeks to get those last 11 lbs off, with walking as my only exercise.

I had my goals set to lose 1 lb per week, and my best weeks were when I ate between 1300 and 1500 calories. I didn't eat back any of my exercise calories. I think my profile is set to light activity.

Hope this helps.
  • melinadanielle
    Options
    i love seeing all these "walking works' posts!
    i have currently just started kicking my self to get up
    and walk as a form of exercise (for now). it's awesome to see
    most people start out with walking and have lost so much from it!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    YES!
    Totally, that is what got me going.
    At first I could hardly walk a few 100 feet, but I kept it up and at 227 pounds was not an easy task.
    I found the more I walked the better I felt.
    Now I walk 5 miles, 2 times a week and 2.5, 2 times a week. It makes me feel good.
    I now weigh 115. My goal was 127.
    My husband walks with me sometimes, he like to go for 10 miles, sometimes I go with him but not often.
    I am very happy with my body!
  • StacyPervis
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds in just over 5 weeks with fork control and walking. Started off at 4 mph pace for 60-65 minutes. Now I do up to 6 miles in 65 minutes. This is 3 days on 1 day off schedule. I use a HR monitor now and it really helps getting the calorie burn where you want it. Biggest thing is fork control but walking sure helps.
  • dup32
    dup32 Posts: 68
    Options
    Yes... I lost approx 69 lbs in just about a year.. Met with girlfriends and we walked 3.2 miles about 5 times a week... Eventually we started adding other exercises...
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I love walking and use the phone app called RunKeeper, I try to do some small walks during my lunch hour at work but at the weekends i sometimes like to go out on a longer walk etc.

It really helps with toning up my legs and butt :)
    x
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Its how I started my weight loss journey.

I went out for "run" (i use the term loosly back then!) and was mortified when i couldn't even do 100 yards without nearly dying, so i walked and the whole time i was walking i kept saying to myself "i will walk this weight off" 55lbs lighter now, and run and go the gym and eat healthy......totally different person now.

And I have a 19 mile walk on Saturday that i am taking part in (www.parishwalk.com)

x
  • Julyfly70
    Julyfly70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. Walking is great!
  • mkvilmin
    mkvilmin Posts: 46
    Options
    I have walked 29 of the past 30 days and I have lost 11 lbs. I am not fond of the gym and walking is something I enjoy, it is my exercise of choice.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have been walking an average of 5 day's since last Tues, about 2 miles. I have lost 8 lbs in this past week. Of course it's my first week but walking helps for sure!
  • traveller888
    traveller888 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Totally do it and totally lost weight by doing it. I mix it up some with Wii Fit and lifting weights at home. To me it's something I can do to maintain and will be able to do, most likely, decades from now, too. I'm not into the extreme, or even partially extreme, stuff because 1) I don't want to do it, but 2)because I can't maintain it either.

Walking & hiking are the best for me. Go up hills, too, if you can. That helps a lot!
  • kjdolly
    kjdolly Posts: 8
    Options
    I had lost over 20 pounds with walking on my treadmill and in April it broke..it took til saturday to have it replaced and I am back on it. This last week I have lost .4 pounds but I hope in the next couple of weeks I will be back to my weight I lost in April. Unfortunately, I gain back about 5 lbs without it..But, it works better for me than the stationary bike...
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Love this thread, and so happy to hear of so many success stories with walking and eating right.... Gets me motivated to continue what I just started doing myself...
  • Kevinpcarey
    Options
    old post I know but a resounding YES. Walking will get you thin. A while back about six years ago I was 200 lbs and then my mother moved far away and I visited her daily. I don't have a car so I had to walk literally 1hour every day to reach her place. I also walked during the summer months and Id sweat so much it looked like I just go out of the shower lol. I got down to 166 lbs (5'6 I am a short man) but people thought I was dying because i lost so much weight lol. I always was around 170 my entire life before I put weight on the first time. Unfortunately I ballooned to 245 over 4 years due to to much eating. I am now making a permanent change because even though I was walking so much I still didnt vchange my eating so once I didnt have to walk that distance I gained again/.
  • Toastie01
    Toastie01 Posts: 1
    Options
    YES, YES, YES!!! I lost 3 stone by walking and cutting back on crisps, choc and sweet treats, admittedly i fell off that wagon more than once (and twice actually) but got back on track with my eating and it came off. You HAVE to create a calorie deficit, so cut back on what you eat and walk for an hour a day every day and it will come off. It might take a few months but it works for me and i prefer it to sweating it out in the gym. Gyms dont work for me, i dont enjoy it and have signed up to many a membership in my time only to avoid it at all costs. walking is great, Ipod on and find a nice route to go. good luck!
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Last summer I started walking prob 5 times a week an hour (sometimes more) a day and wasn't really trying to lose weight or changing my diet and just went in for a check up at the end of the summer an I was down about 20 lbs, so I feel like yes if you walk a lot it does make a difference, I'm sure if I had changed my diet I would have lost AT LEAST another 20lbs bc I was eating tons of fast food etc
  • kinsa2
    kinsa2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    walking definitely helps weight loss as does another other cardio exercises. the best thing about it is that it doesnt feel like exercise, like zumba for instance its like you're doing something you normally do but your shedding calories at the same time. i love walking and i lost all my weight by doing it. i did it outside as i find treadmill really boring and you can just stop it anytime andb be lazy whereas if you are walking outside, you've got to keep going till you get to your destination. I make certain i dont take any money with me as i will be tempted to take the bus home if i am too tired and buy a very high calorie drink or something. i used to walk to college and back which was 1hr 30mins put together each and every weekday. that was my exercise done, nothing extra or expensive, i incorporated it into my daily lifestyle, then it wont feel like exercise and you wont be likely to give up.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Walking was my main form of exercise that got me from a size 16 to a 6. I have changed up my workouts in the last couple of months because my focus is no longer on just losing weight, but I still walk 2-3 times per week. I love it!!!

MB
  • ericnealdavis
    ericnealdavis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've lost 44 lbs in 3 months with MFP and walking 30 to 50 minutes a day 5 days a week.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This is a very old thread, but it's a good one to bump.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!