Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options

Replies

• phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have lost over a hundred pounds in a little over a year on here just by walking! I started out slow then picked up speed & distance! I walk at a brisk pace for 120 minutes every morning!
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100 lbs in ten months from walking but as my body got used to the walking I had to increase my pace, incline (walking up hills & stairs)and distance. It can be done but I had to incorporate a healthy diet, a little water aerobics and some 5K's to lose the 100 lbs.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Walking is what has always worked best for me. In college I lost about 30lbs, and only did walking and some pilates (plus diet). I find when I get into really intense workouts (such as spinning, boxing), my appetite goes through the roof, and I just maintain weight. Walking allows me to eat less and still exercise.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I love hearing about everyone's successes!
  • moniew24
    moniew24 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump, these are amazing stories!
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    Walking is my only form of exercise personally as I'm a lazy person, not committed enough (nor fit or coordinated for that matter) to do sports and too poor to pay for the gym.

I just make myself walk everywhere possible, so maybe an hour and a half or so per day during the week.

The thing with not exercising is you just need to be a little more careful with what you eat - you can't have a massive binge and be like "I'll burn the extra off at the gym tomorrow" or whatever.

I always make sure to have at least 1 cheat day a week though where I eat up to both my BMR and my exercise calories, just to satisfy cravings etc.
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    my husband lost 23 pounds by walking!!
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I walk as my main exercise I have introduced others but I find walking is actually best for me anyway I find I stick to it more than trying to kill myself at other things
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    When I first started back to exercising after an injury I only walked. I lost my first 10 pounds just walking once a day five days a week up to 2 miles a day. This took me about three months. But I also walked very slow as I was still having a lot of pain.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    With my first real success at losing weight about 6 years ago, my primary exercise was walking...it was about 4 miles 3-5 times a week. So, it works.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've been walking 40 mins a day to get to uni since I started dieting and during the first months it really helped. I don't walk that much at the moment but I still do everything I can on my feet, like going to the grocery and so on. You should definitely substitute car and transportation if you can. That's a great exercise.
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Leslie Sansone Walking dvds...It's really low impact aerobics, but I have definitely starting noticing that I am slimming down...clothes fit better! Her dvds are at Target and are usually about $13.00 each. They are really easy on the joints too. I haven't worked out regularly in a long time and was worried about being sore...but I haven't had a problem so far. I've been doing about 30-40 minutes every other day for about two and a half weeks.

I like her DVDs as well, easy to follow and keep up with.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started out a LOT bigger than you, but yes, walking is what I started with. I legitimately forced myself to walk two miles. I can remember the first day like it was yesterday. So minimal activity for my 360lb self was a shock to my body, I suppose lol but I think it truly helps at any stage.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    the only thing I did was stop drinking coca cola and wlaking and i have lost around 12 lbs...I am sure if I would add a little more vigorous exercise I would lose more.
  • SandraD1424
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have lost over a hundred pounds in a little over a year on here just by walking! I started out slow then picked up speed & distance! I walk at a brisk pace for 120 minutes every morning!

That's awesome! Keep it up!
  • SandraD1424
    Options
    Bump

I am seeing bump a lot, what does it mean lol
  • Mandylynne1979
    Mandylynne1979 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    walking is the main way I have lost weight before...I lost 60 pounds just by cutting calories and walking every day!
  • Mandylynne1979
    Mandylynne1979 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump

I am seeing bump a lot, what does it mean lol

I wondered the same thing lol
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bumping puts a topic at the top of your My Topics, so you can find it easy. Not entirely sure why people are bumping and replying to a 2 year old thread though.
  • dwood1231
    dwood1231 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I try to walk between 30_45 minutes 4 or 5 days a week, I change the pace between 2.5 and 4 mph, that and keeping my Calories below goal have gotten 16 lbs of me in just under 5 weeks
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!